Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
That's fine if Apple wants to make a larger one and charge more for it.

But there needs to be feature-parity across the OLED models. After the X, no one is going to buy the argument that some special camera improvement can only be unique to the 6.5" model.

I only ever bought the Plus models for the camera, and I'm ecstatic that the X has come down to reality with a usable size AND all of the hardware Apple can dish out.

I'm never, ever going to buy a 6.5" iPhone and I will be extremely irritated if I'm missing out on camera or other hardware features because Apple chose to make them unique to the "premium" model.
The display is not as dense so yes we will be missing out.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
How about a X Minus that has the screen size of the current 8, but in a smaller form factor. This trend toward bigger and bigger is absurd.

The Plus was already unreasonably big for me, but I could understand why people who use their phone as their primary computing platform may prefer it. If you want a 6.5" phone, why not just get a 7.4" iPad Mini?

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
LCD can’t possibly be as close to the bezel as OLED, right?
Not sure about round corners (maybe just masking?).

Correct. The bezels can't be as small as they are in that render for an LCD. So the 6.1 inch phone must have larger bezels, or KGI is just wrong.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG and bwintx

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Predicting that Apple will do what they've done in the past, offering larger screens and a smaller option? Seems a safe bet.

neosupreeth

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2011
Whatever keeps this 19.5:9 ratio of iPhone x. But need one in the 5 inch factor, 5.8 (current) and 6.5 (bigger but close to plus models).... But keep ratio the same, and have a smaller phone... I am happy with a 4.7, but if I can get a slightly bigger screen in a smaller footprint, great!!
And keep the smallest ratio screen with LCD to move the SE folks to that model...

OR a 4.7 inch with the 19.5:9 ratio but bezeless, new iphone x design

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'm excited, but lawd, that price is going to be EXPENSIVE!

How many body parts do we have to give to get the 6.5-inch iPhone? That's easily $1399 base.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Strange to make a lower resolution LCD model larger than the standard X. Tbh not sure how much I trust KGI anymore.

PPI on OLED is measured differently than LCD.

You need more PPI on OLED to achieve the same sharpness as LCD.

For instance the X has lower real PPI than the Plus. Take the OLED PPI and multiply by 2/3. PenTile OLED pixels is defined as 2 sub pixels. LCD pixels is defined as 3 sub pixels.

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
I never understood this mentality. I am ALWAYS waiting for the next phone. I've had every iphone on launch day, now that I have my X I'm waiting for next years, aren't all of us?
Should have been more clear. I upgrade every year as well. This year I went 8+, I for one do not mind one more year with the same design. I'm glad I waited on the X, I meant.

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
They had better sort this pricing thing out.

It should be no more than $100 more from the 5.8” model.

No way in hell I’ll ever pay $1,500 plus tax for a phone and I want another color than just the white or black.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
A sure sign that the smartphone market is well into maturity. All this tinkering to generate sales leads to artificial limitations and trying to force the up sell. That’s all fine but I’m not interested in phablets. If Apple is only interested in iterating on the phablet side then they’ll start losing sales to the first company that takes a premium smaller phone seriously.

It’s funny, when phablets started coming out it seemed that everyone here used to laugh at them and now they want them even bigger and bigger. Maybe we’ll see a resurgence of small flip phones at some point? :)

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Interesting. I'd likely stick with the 5.8, unless there is a big disparity between features on both OLED models. Kinda tired of Apple doing this, but I get it considering it pushes some to the higher end.

Reactions: 5105973

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Such a low PPI LCD panel on a phone that size is going to be pretty miserable to look at.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I'm looking forward to an iPhone X model that is the weight and thickness of the iPhone 7.

The X isn’t really that much bigger than the 7, by my calculations, it has 10% more surface area versus the 7, just 3mm wider and 5mm taller. It is thicker and heavier, but I’m curious how noticeable that is.

Like others have said, I’d really like to see them do this with the SE chassis. I’d use an SE myself if my eyes could handle the smaller fonts.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I hate how many different models Apple are creating, I miss when they had just one type.

For the normal iPhone user it must be so confusing lol
At this point, they could easily consolidate the iPhone and iPad into a single model with a slider control that let you choose the dimensions as a build-to-order option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.