Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has issued a note to investors that claims the so-called "iPhone 6s" will be offered in 16GB, 64GB and 128GB storage capacities, the same sizes available for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Kuo also claims the iPhone 6s will have an improved front-facing FaceTime camera with a 5-megapixel sensor, and reaffirms three much-rumored features: Force Touch, a new rose gold casing color and an upgraded Touch ID fingerprint scanner.

iPhone-6-storage.jpg

Kuo's prediction corroborates multiple rumors that claim Apple will retain 16GB, 64GB and 128GB storage sizes for the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, which are expected to be announced at the company's September 9th media event in San Francisco.

Kuo says the iPhone 6s entered mass production in mid-August after some manufacturing bottlenecks due to Force Touch, casing and vibration motors.

Article Link: KGI Expects New iPhones to Have 5MP Front Camera, Retain 16GB, 64GB and 128GB Capacities

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
This is not really surprising. Many business and entry level users don't need more than 16Gb and it keeps costs down. One thing that irks me though is that they do not include a 32Gb version. By now it should cost the same as a 16Gb chip 4 years ago, so they could (if they would be willing to take the profitability hit) make the base model 16Gb 50$ cheaper and the 32Gb model at the current entry price. But I guess Apple is not willing to do that. A pity.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
16GB is terrible (let alone 8GB that they still sell). Don't forget, you actually start with about 12GB of usable space.

I myself would purchase 64 or 128 anyway, but I help people quite often with their iOS devices. And so many buy the base level. I recently used a 16GB device. Kept only a handful of apps, and everything cloud based (iCloud Photo Library, Apple Music, etc). Well, even with optimize storage and keeping only a dozen or so apps, within days I was left with 500MB of free space. What happens on a new iPhone when shooting 12mp photos and 4K video?

App thinning and new way of updating with iOS 9 aside, it's still just a terrible experience. Money and margins aside, customer experience is really starting to get affected. I can't imagine in 2 years when people are still using 16GB devices.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Since many carriers are moving away from the subsidized model, hopefully we'll start seeing unsubsidized pricing in these types of articles in the future.

WRT 16Gb - last few phones I've bought have been 16Gb and I've had no regrets, so I'm not unhappy with that choice being available.

Reactions: ABC5S and japanime

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Selfies are important nowadays for the average customer so an improved facetime camera is a good feature. I'm more interested in the rear camera, but having 5MP on the front is good too.
I'm afraid the 16GB rumour is true, they'll start with 32GB only next year or maybe in 2017. It means $100 more to spend at the end of the month and if I'll chose the Plus buying the 64GB model will cost me about $1000.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I wouldn't mind so much if iCloud was less expensive. And family sharing was more accessible. And shared libraries made more sense. [Family] Shared data tariffs could change all of this.

$1.99 for 20gb is pretty cheap right?

Are those prices for the 6S+? or is there actually going to be a price spike too?

Reactions: RedGala

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
If they don't want to get rid of the 16GB model, they could at least add a 32GB one to their lineup.

Apple won't because 32GB would be enough for a lot of people. I bought 64GB and I have over 20GB-30GB available after moving all my photos, music and videos to google drive.

Not ideal - but 16GB might be workable if you use the cloud and IOS 9 new app slicing features.

You can also get 64GB - on a two year contract that would be $4.00 more or $2-3 dollars on a installment plan.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
awesome how many seconds of 4k video will that hold considering your OS takes up almost half the space

iOS 9 takes up 4.6gb. There is still more than 70% of the space available. (And with new app thinning, it will save another 3gb)

My wife has had 16gb for the past 4 years - never run out of space. In fact, she has over 4gb still available. 16gb is 'too much' for her. :)

This is the type of memory SHE needs for her low intensive phone use with 10 apps and pictures. She has no need to pay more money for something she won't use. Apple understands these users.

morcutt11

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2015
USA
This is not really surprising. Many business and entry level users don't need more than 16Gb and it keeps costs down. One thing that irks me though is that they do not include a 32Gb version. By now it should cost the same as a 16Gb chip 4 years ago, so they could (if they would be willing to take the profitability hit) make the base model 16Gb 50$ cheaper and the 32Gb model at the current entry price. But I guess Apple is not willing to do that. A pity.
What's the cost difference between 16GB and 32GB? A buck or two? The RAM is where Apple really makes money on the iPhone - paying a couple of hundred of extra dollars to upgrade to 128GB for a few dollars worth of RAM is a big profit margin. Even in pushing the cloud services, camera resolution alone should mandate a base of 32 GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.