Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Keep dreaming. Quoted for February 1.

No one knows the true demand for iPhone X until Apple tells us how they did. This article says the exact opposite and that the X was the best selling phone in urban China. All are guesses.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/01/19/apple-incs-iphone-x-is-a-hit-in-china.aspx

Apple said they do $87B, so they must have been pretty bullish on the X. Spoiler Alert, Apple rarely misses their own guidance.

But this is no surprise, coming from you.

One is from Ashraf Eassa reporting, who has an EXTREMELY poor track record on anything Intel and Apple. He quote the source from Kantar Worldpanel, which I have never heard of, AND, it has been pointed out numerous time these firms track the sales number via WeiBo post, which is known to be fake. ( There is actually a variable business selling WeiPo Post in iPhone X )

Another from KGI, which as much as I hate to admit it has it right many times. Likely has a source within the supply chain rather then Apple itself.

Yes Apple rarely ( I actually dont remember them ever missing it ) their own guidance. But the most important number is next Q guidance. I think there are enough stocks within the channel.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Part of the reason is mobile networks in Asia are newer, more advanced, and data is far less expensive due to competition.

In China, 10GB plans have been normal for a long time and cost around $35. In South Korea, data is dirt cheap. It's only recently that the U.S. has introduced unlimited data plans.
[doublepost=1516385344][/doublepost]

No, that's not even close to being true.

China was the third largest PC market way back in 2000. They've been the world's largest PC market since 2011.

More PCs are sold per capita in China than in the U.S.

Back in 2004 China ranked 104th in PC per capita at just over 40 out of 1000 while the US was in the top 10 with over 700 per 1000 people. Even today China is nowhere near cracking the top 10, especially in rural areas. Are you sure you're not including smartphones in your figures?

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
One is from Ashraf Eassa reporting, who has an EXTREMELY poor track record on anything Intel and Apple. He quote the source from Kantar Worldpanel, which I have never heard of, AND, it has been pointed out numerous time these firms track the sales number via WeiBo post, which is known to be fake. ( There is actually a variable business selling WeiPo Post in iPhone X )

Another from KGI, which as much as I hate to admit it has it right many times. Likely has a source within the supply chain rather then Apple itself.

Yes Apple rarely ( I actually dont remember them ever missing it ) their own guidance. But the most important number is next Q guidance. I think there are enough stocks within the channel.
I'll remind you Kantar is the same company that people believed when they indicated iOS market share went down in a few markets during November. Despite that most likely being driven by waiters for the iPhone X, this forum ran with it.

I care about nothing except the guidance, which was $87B, and the actual numbers reported on February 1. Literally every other article is speculation and fake news.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Where do the size wars end? The current size of the iPhone X seems perfect. It has more screen real estate than the iPhone 8 but still fits nicely in a normal size hand. And how much would an iPhone X plus possible cost...$1,500?! I'd rather take an old iPhone 6 and use the left over cash for a MBP for that much money.
Why would an iPhone X plus cost $1500? Probably will start at $1099 based on logic.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
Research says experiences create more long lasting happiness; purchases create more happiness near term but tends to fade and people go back down to prior levels of happy ( or unhappy).

I guess that’s one way to look at it. I do hope the price stays the same though. Folks need to realize that companies need to make a profit also and that if an item that’s a higher tier is wanted then then the higher price is going to need to be paid.

That’s the way it is for food, apartments, pretty much everything so why should iPhone be the exception to that?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm surprised that even larger screens are desired. Is small screen design so useless that larger screens are needed? Shouldn't we be focusing on supreme design for small compact screens?

What's considered a "Supreme" design? How do you have such a Metric when everybody has different preferences and different size displays?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I'm surprised that even larger screens are desired. Is small screen design so useless that larger screens are needed? Shouldn't we be focusing on supreme design for small compact screens?

I used to think that way too, but having used a 6S+, I find the larger screen is awesome for productivity. The extra space just helps so much when I am reviewing a lesson plan (pdf documents stored in notability or mindmap in MindNode), reading emails or simply browsing the web, amongst other tasks. And I can still use my phone comfortably with one hand.

Another side effect is that a larger screen also means more space for battery. Larger X phone with stacked battery design? Yes please!

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Tbh I was one of those waiting for the X Plus, then I bit the bullet and bought an X. Perfect size imho.

Pritz23

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2015
I don’t understand the appeal of a phone larger than the X. It’s like perfect size. My 7 plus isn’t exactly comfortable and I have huge hands. Do they all hold their phones with 2 hands over there?

Actually once you get used of the big screen its something you look for when you pick up small phones.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Keep dreaming. Quoted for February 1.

No one knows the true demand for iPhone X until Apple tells us how they did. This article says the exact opposite and that the X was the best selling phone in urban China. All are guesses.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/01/19/apple-incs-iphone-x-is-a-hit-in-china.aspx

Apple said they do $87B, so they must have been pretty bullish on the X. Spoiler Alert, Apple rarely misses their own guidance.

But this is no surprise, coming from you.

Total iPhone sales for Q1 will be around 80 Million units for all models combined. X sales will be a bit over 35 million units for Q1. I’ve made no projections on Apple’s Q1 profit for all services/products. :apple:

maverick2007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
That notch killed my buying decision! Its useless screen near notch. I think apple should learn from Xiaomi on how to design phones, I know apple lovers would bash me here but truth is truth. IMHO iPhone X is design fail.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Total iPhone sales for Q1 will be around 80 Million units for all models combined. X sales will be a bit over 35 million units for Q1. I’ve made no projections on Apple’s Q1 profit for all services/products. :apple:
Nor should you as you wouldn’t be qualified to do so.

So you’re just acting bearish but in reality know they will kill it? We won’t know iPhone X sales specifically, but selling over 80M iPhones and 35M X will be a resounding success. Not sure what you expected, but if it’s more, you are being unreasonable.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I hope the X isn't reaching EOL (end of life) status by the end of the summer. Would be a nice cheaper alternative to this year's X since it will do most of the same stuff at a fraction of the price hopefully.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Yep..

6.5 seems too large for a phone too.. This is one times, everyone does need Bluetooth earbuds otherwise you'd look kinda silly with small hands and a large phone
What do you mean yep?

No one knows with any certainty how well the X has sold until Apple tells us on February 1. Even then, we won’t get product mix.

Fake news.

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
I love my iPhone X. That being said, it IS too big for me. Go bigger all you want (though I thought it's a phone and not a tablet), there is a demographic who would LOVE a smaller-formfactor iPhone X.

Reactions: Glideslope and Gudi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.