Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I never heard back from Ting. I called Freedompop gave the guy my IMEI and he said I needed to pay $16 for their SIM card and then the SE would work on their network. I said "forget that.I am not paying $16.00" for their SIM. I looked on their website to double-check the guy, and the website said $10 for SIM. After that, I went to IMEIpro.info and ran the IEMI for Sprint devices and sure enough, it is still flagged as having a financial responsibility. Called Sprint and got nowhere. They told me to contact Boost Mobile. I am not paying anymore for the phone. I will use it as an iPod and iOS beta testing.

I got a used iPhone 5c in excellent shape yesterday. Popped in a "pay as you go" T-Mobile SIM and it works well as a backup line for $3.00 a month. I can do the unlimited web data etc. plan for $30.00, since I activated my own phone online later on, if I want.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I never heard back from Ting. I called Freedompop gave the guy my IMEI and he said I needed to pay $16 for their SIM card and then the SE would work on their network. I said "forget that.I am not paying $16.00" for their SIM. I looked on their website to double-check the guy, and the website said $10 for SIM. After that, I went to IMEIpro.info and ran the IEMI for Sprint devices and sure enough, it is still flagged as having a financial responsibility. Called Sprint and got nowhere. They told me to contact Boost Mobile. I am not paying anymore for the phone. I will use it as an iPod and iOS beta testing.

I got a used iPhone 5c in excellent shape yesterday. Popped in a "pay as you go" T-Mobile SIM and it works well as a backup line for $3.00 a month. I can do the unlimited web data etc. plan for $30.00, since I activated my own phone online later on, if I want.

Or you could use any other carrier in the US that is not Sprint or runs off Sprints network;)

Reactions: uma184

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Figured I'd resurrect this thread with a question of my own that hopefully @Applejuiced or someone else can answer.

About a month ago, I purchased a 16GB SE on Boost and successfully got it unlocked a few days later via Swiftunlocks. I stalked Boost's website until I saw they had the 32GB model in stock for the same price, so I placed an order for that model last week (sold the 16GB already via Swappa). I received the phone and submitted the unlock request once again to Swiftunlocks.

I got an email earlier today from Swiftunlocks saying that they were unable to unlock the 32GB SE, which I thought was odd because the service touts 100% success rate. The email mentions something about them adding a backup method which should be up within 2-3 hours and to resubmit the request.

Fortunately I have my 7 that I'm using, but I wanted to see if there is another reliable method in getting the SE unlocked. I plan to resubmit the unlock request to Swiftunlocks once I get home from work tonight, but I wanted to see if there were other options available as well.

Reactions: Applejuiced

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Figured I'd resurrect this thread with a question of my own that hopefully @Applejuiced or someone else can answer.

About a month ago, I purchased a 16GB SE on Boost and successfully got it unlocked a few days later via Swiftunlocks. I stalked Boost's website until I saw they had the 32GB model in stock for the same price, so I placed an order for that model last week (sold the 16GB already via Swappa). I received the phone and submitted the unlock request once again to Swiftunlocks.

I got an email earlier today from Swiftunlocks saying that they were unable to unlock the 32GB SE, which I thought was odd because the service touts 100% success rate. The email mentions something about them adding a backup method which should be up within 2-3 hours and to resubmit the request.

Fortunately I have my 7 that I'm using, but I wanted to see if there is another reliable method in getting the SE unlocked. I plan to resubmit the unlock request to Swiftunlocks once I get home from work tonight, but I wanted to see if there were other options available as well.
Over the weekend there was some question on the Sprint reddit page about Sprints servers that deal wth activation. Either there was a problem with the servers or something with the process.

Your issue is probably related to that.

If the system is down they cannot submit an unlock.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/6ciir5/activation_towers_are_down/

Reactions: nburwell

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Over the weekend there was some question on the Sprint reddit page about Sprints servers that deal wth activation. Either there was a problem with the servers or something with the process.

Your issue is probably related to that.

If the system is down they cannot submit an unlock.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/6ciir5/activation_towers_are_down/

That would make sense since I submitted the unlock request to Swiftunlocks last Friday.

As long as all hope isn't lost since I'd like to use the SE on TMO.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That would make sense since I submitted the unlock request to Swiftunlocks last Friday.

As long as all hope isn't lost since I'd like to use the SE on TMO.
The other possibility is that Boost has gotten wise to the fact that people are taking advantage of their SE deals, but are not actually starting service. They may have done something internally that is preventing these IMEIs from being submitted.

But that is just a guess on my part.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

Not sure if Boost caught on to people buying their iphones for cheap and just unlocking them and not using them at all on their network.
So most likely there's some more work involved to get it unlocked now and my guess is probably a little higher premium to pay to unlock it.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Not sure if Boost caught on to people buying their iphones for cheap and just unlocking them and not using them at all on their network.
So most likely there's some more work involved to get it unlocked now and my guess is probably a little higher premium to pay to unlock it.

I was worried that Boost might catch on to people buying the SE's on the cheap and then getting the devices unlocked to use on other carriers.

I don't mind paying more, as long as I can get the SE unlocked. I'll try again with Swiftunlocks.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Looks like he upped the prices as the updated Sprint/Boost unlock is $35. Up from $21 I paid last week. But again, it's money well spent as long as he is able to unlock the device.

Now to get home from work so I can submit the order...

I think I paid $30 a few months ago when I got mine.
Not too bad.
At least its not $70-110 like for AT&T and Tmobile iphones.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I think I paid $30 a few months ago when I got mine.
Not too bad.
At least its not $70-110 like for AT&T and Tmobile iphones.

When I got home from work yesterday the price went up again from $35 to $44. But still not as bad as the AT&T T-Mobile prices.

Reactions: eyoungren

PrestonR

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I know I'm reviving and old post, but I would rather not have to create a new one.

Has anyone found an imei unlocking service that is currently working for Boost Mobile? I bought my SE a few months ago during a sale and have just now tried to unlock but haven't found any working and am skeptical to try expensive eBay solutions.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I know I'm reviving and old post, but I would rather not have to create a new one.

Has anyone found an imei unlocking service that is currently working for Boost Mobile? I bought my SE a few months ago during a sale and have just now tried to unlock but haven't found any working and am skeptical to try expensive eBay solutions.
I got my SE about the same time as you from the Boost Mobile site, and went the Ebay unlocking route. I think I paid $33 dollar. The phone is now being used by my Nephew on Straight Talk from Walmart. Put the packaged SIM in and didn't have any problems. Nephew had tried to get service with Sprint since he already had a line but, they claimed they couldn't do it since the phone was pre-paid. Boost Mobile uses Sprint. I just think Sprint was giving him the run around. The SE was also briefly used on T-Mobile without any problems.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

You may have waited a bit too long.

At some point Boost realized people were buying the phones and getting them unlocked. Initially people in the Sprint reddit were reporting that the system was having difficulty processing unlocks (Boost uses Sprint's unlock system) and because of that the price of third party unlocks started climbing.

Now it seems it's either very expensive or not being offered. You may be able to find somebody, but I doubt it will be cheap.

PrestonR

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I got my SE about the same time as you from the Boost Mobile site, and went the Ebay unlocking route. I think I paid $33 dollar. The phone is now being used by my Nephew on Straight Talk from Walmart. Put the packaged SIM in and didn't have any problems. Nephew had tried to get service with Sprint since he already had a line but, they claimed they couldn't do it since the phone was pre-paid. Boost Mobile uses Sprint. I just think Sprint was giving him the run around. The SE was also briefly used on T-Mobile without any problems.

The only ebay unlocking services I can find are over $100, and that seem's a little bit stiff considering I could buy an iPhone SE from walmart for $160 and just sell my current one

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
The only ebay unlocking services I can find are over $100, and that seem's a little bit stiff considering I could buy an iPhone SE from walmart for $160 and just sell my current one
I looked on Ebay and couldn't find the unlocking service I thought I had used. It turns out I didn't use Ebay but this site https://unlock4less.com//index.php. That should get you the same price I paid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.