Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Kickstarter Campaign Aims to Add a Full Android Device to the Back of Your iPhone

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Eye Smart iPhone Case, an ambitious new project on Kickstarter, aims to expand the iPhone's functionality by adding what amounts to a full Android device to the back of the iPhone.

An always-on 5-inch AMOLED display is built into the case, which runs the Android 7.1 Nougat operating system. The case connects to the iPhone using its Lightning port to enable file transfers, power delivery, and more.

A microSD card slot provides up to 256GB of storage for holding photos, videos, and other media, all of which is accessible using the Android file explorer. A built-in 2,800 mAh battery provides additional charge to the iPhone, and the Eye case itself supports Qi wireless charging.

Two SIM card slots are included, and higher-end models support 4G LTE connectivity, so up to three phone numbers can be used with an iPhone. Android exclusive features, like native call recording, the file explorer, customization, file transfers, and Android apps are all made available to iPhone users via the Eye case.

The Eye will enable selfies with the higher-quality rear-facing camera of the iPhone by mirroring the iPhone's display to the back of the device. This allows for Portrait Mode selfies, according to the Kickstarter page.

A 3.5mm headphone jack lets iPhone owners with an iPhone 7 or an iPhone 7 Plus to use wired headphones with the device, and the Eye case includes NFC, an IR blaster and receiver for controlling TVs and other devices, and a car mount. It's available for the iPhone 6 and later, and will allegedly be available for the new wave of iPhones coming in 2017 within a month of their release.

While the Eye case looks intriguing, it also looks too good to be true, even with a prototype case shown off in images and videos. For that reason, we do not recommend backing this Kickstarter project.

ESTI is a first time Kickstarter company and a project this ambitious and at this scale will almost certainly run into problems with mass production, the step in manufacturing that most often trips up Kickstarter newcomers.

The Kickstarter campaign says the first units will deliver in August of 2017, a timeline that's likely going to be difficult to meet, so if you're interested in this product, it may be better to hold off until it is available outside of Kickstarter.

If you do want to back the project, the Eye case is available for a Super Early Bird pledge of $95, with prices going up for 4G connectivity. Estimated retail price is $189 to $229.

Article Link: Kickstarter Campaign Aims to Add a Full Android Device to the Back of Your iPhone

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
And people thought the Apple Smart Battery case was unattractive. They ain't seen nothin' yet!
[doublepost=1489514484][/doublepost]I'm also not sure why they have an older woman as the star of their video. Bad decision, if you ask me. I don't know anyone over the age of 40 who would be remotely interested in this unless they're already interested in tech.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
It pisses me off when people think that Android and iOS are somehow different enough to warrant having both systems on one device. Use one of them, not both.

Reactions: jhfenton

RyawesomeU13

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
You know, if they somehow made something like a very slim/low profile e-reader type back, then I'd think this is kind of cool and useful as I can then read my e-books. I laughed about what I saw on the kickstarter page how they were showing how you can multi-task, basically have pie-charts running on one OS, then flip the screen over and use the calculator in the other app. This is a very interesting idea though, not for me, but it takes creativity for people to come up with things like this and it's already passed it's goal so some people must think this will be useful.

Reactions: GrumpyMom

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
Man, Granny beat us all to the punch! Those young people and their lame single phones barely knew how to charge them—HA! Who knew a frankenphone could be so cool?! Plus those fly girls who were hanging out by that crazy wall in the middle of nowhere were DOPE! As soon as Poochie from The Simpsons endorses it, I'm in!

Last edited:

Syrgul

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2015
If it acts a full phone, then I can maybe (and that's a big maybe) see this being useful for those road warriors forced to carry both a personal and business cell phone. Be at least one way to combine down to kind of one device.

Otherwise... useless.

Reactions: Deelron and Cronbo

casperes1996

macrumors 603
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
It pisses me off when people think that Android and iOS are somehow different enough to warrant having both systems on one device. Use one of them, not both.

Doesn't take much to piss you off, huh?
I'm not saying they are that incredibly different, but I can still see some rare cases, where this case (see what I did there?) can be of some use. Similar to BootCamp on macOS - if you have an app that you need that only runs on Android or something... Though I can't think of what that'd be - though I have plenty of examples of the reverse, so maybe if you're an Android person who needs an iOS app? I don't know - I'm sure there are someone out there who'd be happy to have it though. Not for the average Joe, but you know

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
If it acts a full phone, then I can maybe (and that's a big maybe) see this being useful for those road warriors forced to carry both a personal and business cell phone. Be at least one way to combine down to kind of one device.

Otherwise... useless.

Good theory. I know plenty of others who have both iOS/Android and this could be a benefit if they were willing to consolidate to one device. It's different, but innovative in the right measures.

swm

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2013
how on earth would this be useful? holding you phone in your hand and launching apps on the backside while reaching for the upper third of that giand screen... also, i don't know how the "extra 256gb storage" can be used as ios apps can not access external storage the same way as internal

Reactions: motulist

Salty_Boi

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2017
It's a gimmick, there's nothing useful about this at all. I'm surprised it even got backing. "Let's just slap a phone on a case", it's just so ridiculous. You could show me all the specs, and I still wouldn't be able to get over the oddity of that case. Seriously... what thought process went into this?

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I agree that this will almost certainly fail, but I've gotta admire these folks for dreaming. And now I'm tempted to go grab a cheap Android phone and tape it onto the back of my iPhone.

Reactions: jhfenton
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.