Killer sandwiches

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Cut me and and I bleed crumbs. Interesting ingredients, different breads and killer combos, wanna hear them all.

Before I next go the supermarket in a couple of days, tell us about your daily bread, no matter what form, size or weirdness of combos: subs, baps, baguettes, panini, toast...

Mmm. BLT.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Trader Joe's has a really good balsamic ginger sesame dressing (or something like that) that goes really well on a chicken patty. Sometimes when I bread chicken and make it for dinner and there are leftovers I take that for lunch on ciabatta with some lettuce.

3. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Simple old favorite

My favorite as a kid was cream cheese and (green) olive. Still enjoy it.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I'm extremely dull when I'm eating home made sandwiches, I generally like them as simple as possible. Bread (of sorts), butter and one topping only (and plenty of that topping).

The only time I make more of it is when I make "Ostiser" (could be translated as "Cheezeies"), where I start with a slice of bread, something with some wholemeal in it, preferably Kneipp (the dullest bread in Norway) or Langebrød (a local bread with some rye in it), cover that with some mustard, (red) onion, a little dash of Heinz ketchup, a bit of spices (mostly pepper), covered by a thin layer of minced meat and then topped with cheese. Oven baked for about 10 minutes. More like a small pizza than a sandwich, but extremely simple to make and excellent as lunch, brunch, dinner or even an evening snack.

Now, if I had to choose some more traditional sandwiches, you cannot really beat the Danes. I've never had a Danish Sandwich that wasn't delicious...no matter what was on it... :drool:

[​IMG]
    Leverpostei with bacon, pickles and beets :double-drool:

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My childhood favorite that I still eat even in my 40s is a fluff-n-nutter

A marshmallow fluff and peanut butter sandwich :D

6. bartelby macrumors Core

When I was a vegan I used to have the following in sarnies all the time:

Sliced boiled potatoes
    red onion
    various bits of salad
    balsamic vinegar/ olive oil dressing
    and soy cheese that came in a jar.

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

15 Grain bread with local honey and peanut butter... mmmmmmm mmmm goood. (oh wait that's campbells huh)

8. TSE macrumors 68030

My favorite sandwich of all time:

2x Buttermilk Eggo Waffles - Buttermilk aren't nearly as sweet as the Homestyle ones
    A couple, skinny premium rotisserie chicken breast pieces
    Handful of fresh Spinach
    Handful of fresh Lettuce
    Sour cream
    Pepperjack cheese (can really use any cheese you want)
    Salt and Pepper

1. Put some pepperjack cheese on one side of a Eggo waffles, and put the Eggo waffles in the oven on a cookie sheet, toast the Eggo waffles to a slight crisp in oven the cheese will melt on top of it
    2. Cut the chicken breast in skinny portions, layer it
    3. Put a little bit of sour cream on one side of a Lego waffle without the cheese
    3. Put salt and pepper where the sour scream is
    4. Lay down lettuce and spinach
    5. Put the chicken on the lettuce and spinach down
    6. Put the top Eggo waffle with cheese down on the rest of the sandwich. Enjoy!

SOOOOO GOOOOOOOD. I made this up one time when we ran out of bread and it is pretty darn good. The slightly crunchy texture, the combination of spice and slight sweetness from the waffles all combines extremely well.

I thought the waffles would be too sweet but the Buttermilk ones really aren't.

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Get a sub, right? Open that bad boy up, and slap on:

Salami
    Ham
    Roast Beef
    Fresh Mozzerella
    Feta
    Pickles
    Italian Dressing

Close that sucker up and consume!

10. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

That sounds amazing, and I'm not even vegetarian, much less vegan!*

My favorite sandwich is a GOOD sourdough sandwich roll (this is key), toasted, both sides spread with mayo and dijon mustard, then with thinly cut roast beef, bread and butter chips (sweet pickles), white onions, lettuce, and avocado.

It's impossible to eat cleanly, but so delicious!

*But my girlfiend and sister, both of whom I'm currently living with, are vegetarian... so no meat for me :(

11. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Two slices/halves of a good plain bread, toast the bread, on one slice/half spread lots of butter, Dijon mustard to taste, then add a banana and press it down, top off with the other slice/half.

Cheers,
    OW

12. Malsi macrumors regular

For my sandwiches I prefer soft French or Italian bread. As for the spread, there is this type of cheese spread called Puck. Its not very common in the states, but I managed to find some in my area.
    It's like a cream cheese, But with a heavy/sharper flavor. If I'm out of that, I'll just settle for the cheese that comes packaged in a circular box with a picture of a laughing red cow on it. Oh, can't forget the kosher pickle! Crisp, and thinly sliced! Damn you, I'm hungry now!

13. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Laughing cow cheese. :)

Currently, I'm craving a PB&J.....

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My son loves those. And even though I'm in my mid 40s, one of my favorites is still a peanut butter & jelly sandwich.

15. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

When I pop into town on a dinnertime to go about Important Business™, I sometimes treat myself to a nice sandwich from the nice sandwich shop which is located there.

Chicken with sweetcorn, lettuce and cucumber in doorstep granary bread, with lemon and black pepper mayonnaise – handmade to order by one of the lovely ladies there.

16. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Do any of y'all have Harris Teeters where you live? They're a Southern grocery store change, and on Fridays, you can get a loaded footlong sub for just $4! I never really have good sammich stuff on hand, so I go there. Besides, all I have on a sandwich is:

- Ham
    - Other meat that comes on a Cold Cut Combo that I can't remember
    - Cheese
    - Shredded cheese
    - Mayo
    - Lots of salt and pepper
    - Mustard

And then I'll just fix a salad to make up for the lack of green things on the sub. :D

17. Abstract, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's difficult to describe the "perfect" sandwich, but for me, it usually involves a meat such as salami, or perhaps bacon. Both meats give a sandwich a nice, flavourful, somewhat salty bite to it. Same can be said about pizzas. Pizza goes nice on pizza when you're making it at home. :)

EDIT: Prosciutto. I forgot prosciutto!

18. Queso macrumors G4

19. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Now I'm hungry, damn you. :D

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

pastrami, muenster cheese, yellow mustard, wheat bread. toothpick and olive for garnish. icy coke.

22. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

The Monte Cristo holds a special place in my heart. Just had one for the first time a little bit ago.

Great sandwich.

23. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

24. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

My kind of thread :D (and turkish is my kind of bread ;))

More or less my 'signature' 'wich.

Turkish break, grilled chicken with herbs/chilli, avocado, bacon, cheddar, sundried tomato, prosciutto. And toasted, of course.

[​IMG]

25. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Honestly, my two favorite sandwiches are probably Grilled Cheese and PB&J. Simple. :)