Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

jeffy777

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
I remember reading when they announced the app that it wouldn't be out right away. They probably want to test it on an actual ipad, and I doubt they got one early, heh.

Comment

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Interesting that they don't have iPad screenshots, only iPhone.

Comment

G4R2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2006
Interesting that they don't have iPad screenshots, only iPhone.

They actually do have screenshots for the iPad.

Above the screenshots there's a little button that toggles between the iPhone and iPad versions of the app.

Comment

tropic10

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
Sweet. Looks like they just added the iPad screenshots a minute ago. They weren't there before. Too bad I may not be getting a iPad for awhile.

Comment

anthonymoody

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2002
Too lazy to check at the moment: is there in-app book purchasing on the iPad version?

Comment

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Those iPad screenshots look MUCH improved over the iPhone version. I don't have an iPad and don't know that i can get one soon, but this has me encouraged that Apple is allowing Amazon onto the device. I've already got about 10 Kindle books and now I can at least choose between the two. I wish you didn't have to run two different apps, but I guess that's not the worst of the worst-case scenarios.

Comment

Logos327

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
I am hoping that we can soon set a default device. Right now, and for the near future, it would be nice to not have to click the "iPad" button all over the place.

Comment

skestes

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2007
I am hoping that we can soon set a default device. Right now, and for the near future, it would be nice to not have to click the "iPad" button all over the place.

Amen! It gets worse when you start browsing the top-level generic categories, not a single option to restrict to iPad only. :(

Comment

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
That's awesome that they approved that. I think its not good for the Kindle itself, but good for Amazon as a whole.

Nice Job Apple :)

Comment

Nexus4144

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Too lazy to check at the moment: is there in-app book purchasing on the iPad version?

it almost looks like iBook app with a different background :) at nope, it doesnt appear to have one, just gotta use the web browser and it updates when u start the app

Comment

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
it almost looks like iBook app with a different background :) at nope, it doesnt appear to have one, just gotta use the web browser and it updates when u start the app

In the 2nd & 3rd screenshot for the iPad version in the top-right hand corner there is a shopping cart and it says, "Shop in Kindle Store". Whether or not it opens Amazon.com in Safari or you shop from the App, i don't know.

Comment

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
For those who are interested, the Kindle app for the iPad is now in the iTunes store:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kindle/id302584613?mt=8

Oh thanks so much for this heads up! I have a ton of books still on my Kindle that I have yet to read and I may well stick with the Kindle app as long as it retains its advantage in terms of number of titles, etc. That said, the iBook app looks fabulous too -- I will certainly try both!

Comment

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Nice to see Apple allowing some competition on the iPad. Good job!

I don't think I'll be let down by Kindle's UI. Now it's just a matter of which one having cheaper books, or a wider selection.

Comment

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008

I don't think I'll be let down by Kindle's UI. Now it's just a matter of which one having cheaper books, or a wider selection.

I think Apple's starting with about 40 thousand titles and Amazon has 400 thousand. So for the moment we have a winner! but it is GREAT that we can switch between them and try them both out. The way I see it both Apple and Amazon win -- I already bought many Kindles and now I'm buying a couple of iPads. May the best content provider win -- but either way both got my hardware dollars!

Comment

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I think Apple's starting with about 40 thousand titles and Amazon has 400 thousand. So for the moment we have a winner! but it is GREAT that we can switch between them and try them both out. The way I see it both Apple and Amazon win -- I already bought many Kindles and now I'm buying a couple of iPads. May the best content provider win -- but either way both got my hardware dollars!

^5 :)

Now if only we can read the books we bought from either stores on either reader, that will be perfect. Down with DRM!

Comment

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Why isn't this on the main page yet? Or on Gizmodo or Engadget or TUAW???

Comment

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2008

Apple cares about selling ipad And nothing more. people have been fooled by google to think apple does not want competition.

Comment

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
That's awesome that they approved that. I think its not good for the Kindle itself, but good for Amazon as a whole.

Nice Job Apple :)

Yep this is GREAT! We now have access to around 600,000 books! Yeah Baby! Gotta Love it! All this on the iPads 1st Day!

WTG Apple! WTG Amazon and all content providers. ;)

I can just imagine a year from now! :eek:

Comment

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Apple cares about selling iPad And nothing more. People have been fooled by google to think apple does not want competition.

Then where is my Google Voice app? I want it on my iPhone ASAP. :D

And what about GrooveShark? I'd love that on my iPhone/iPad.

/offtopic

Comment

G4R2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2006
One huge advantage the Kindle app has over the iBooks app is that at least on the Kindle platform there's a desktop viewer for the Mac to view purchased content.

I hope Apple follows up with desktop and iPhone viewers.

Comment

ajumbaje

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2005
VA
Would you be able to have previously purchased kindle books available for reading when you aren't connected to a network?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.