Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Arcade recently surpassed 200 games available on the service, and several new titles are coming soon, including Tetris Beat, Baldo, Asphalt 8: Airborne, Layton's Mystery Journey, Zen Pinball Party, Zookeeper World, MasterChef: Let's Cook, and more.

castlevania-grimoire-of-souls.png

Another game can be added to the list, as Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls from well-known Japanese company Konami is set to launch exclusively on Apple Arcade, across the iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV. Mobile gaming enthusiasts may remember that the game had soft launched on the App Store in Canada back in 2019, but it was removed less than a year later. No specific release date has been announced for its Apple Arcade return.

The side-scrolling action game will feature a lineup of iconic characters from the popular gothic video game series, including Alucard, Simon Belmont, Charlotte, Shanoa, Maria, and more to come. Players will be tasked with blasting their way through Dracula's army using a variety of attacks, weapons, and unique character moves.

The original trailer for the game from 2019 can be watched below.

In addition, a trio of Apple Arcade games have recently been updated, with a new mini-game and new quests added to The Oregon Trail, five new songs added to Taiko no Tatsujin Pop Tap Beat, and 200 new levels added in Simon's Cat - Story Time.

Priced at $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year, Apple Arcade is a subscription-based service that provides access to a catalog of over 200 games without ads or in-app purchases across the iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV, with additional titles added periodically. A free one-month trial is available for first-time subscribers.

Article Link: Konami Releasing 'Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls' on Apple Arcade

Populus

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Valencia, Spain.
Compared with Symphony of the Night, is this one a bit worse, just worse but fun anyways, or awfully worse? I mean, AFAIK, SOTN is the gold standard in Castlevania. But I don’t know anything about this game.

This are the games I am interested and I will pay Arcade for. With this Castlevania and the upcoming Fantasian Part 2, I think this is a good time to start an Apple Arcade subscription.

EDIT: Wait! Fantasian Part 2 was supposed to be released today!
EDIT 2: Ok ok, Fantasian has been updated with Part 2.

Last edited:

Zoboomafoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Is it me or do the graphics for this look worse than the original style on NES? It looks like bad CGI where you clearly distinguish between the interactive elements and the background

Reactions: cocoua

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I have Apple Arcade and love it! My new ultimate AppleTV 4K paired with an Xbox Series One X controller is the best game console money can buy! It helps that it's even cheaper than the competition!

• Haha
Reactions: Ahmamies

Ahmamies

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2020
I have Apple Arcade and love it! My new ultimate AppleTV 4K paired with an Xbox Series One X controller is the best game console money can buy! It helps that it's even cheaper than the competition!
“Series One X” 😂

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Apple Arcade is really turning into such a great advocate for mobile gaming. Just this month we have Monster Hunter Stories (although not new and where the fudge is the controller support), FANTASIAN part 2 and Baldo. And now this. Arcade had a bit of a slow start but it’s truly picking up speed.

And I also love the ease of use and being able to play the same game with save sync on TV, Mac and mobile.

f00f

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2009
New Yawk
I purchased an Xbox controller dedicated for Apple Arcade and loving this content.

Ahah very nice -- I did the same recently and at the time the current-generation BT-enabled Xbox controllers were super rare to find in my area. Had to go out of the way to find one but was definitely worth it. I use that with iPad. (Now of course those controllers are much easier to find. Still haven't seen a Series X in the wild near me though. Total unicorn!)

I also use the Backbone controller with the iPhone 11 Pro Max. It's pretty good!

BaracksPhallusPalace

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2017
Apple Arcade is really turning into such a great advocate for mobile gaming. Just this month we have Monster Hunter Stories (although not new and where the fudge is the controller support), FANTASIAN part 2 and Baldo. And now this. Arcade had a bit of a slow start but it’s truly picking up speed.

And I also love the ease of use and being able to play the same game with save sync on TV, Mac and mobile.

as a FF fan, Fantasian is really well done and worth the $5/mo alone to complete it.

Reactions: amartinez1660

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
I have some skepticism on the long term support on these original studios.. i.e. Capcom Monster Hunter dropped development and couldn't be played after about iOS 8 and was purchased around £15 at the time.

At least it's on Arcade and the subs are payed anyway.

Reactions: macfacts
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.