Kudos to Apple and Genius Bar

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tpouliot, Mar 9, 2008.

1. tpouliot macrumors member

So I have been an iPhone user since the first week of the launch. It has dropped from time to time without significant damage other than a scratch (on the back) here and there. I decided to buy a case for it, but I did not like how it took away from the overall look of the phone.

Well...I dropped it one more time this time on the top of the phone. The top button got stuck in and there was a small little dent. The phone just rebooted showing the :apple: logo.

The next morning I went to the Genius bar, they acknowledged that the phone had been dropped. He then asked me "when was the last time I plugged the phone into my computer?" Odd question I thought. I answered. Next: "So if I replaced it today, you would not lose anything important." There was a second there where I thought I was not going to get a replacement when he bought my phone to the manager and I heard them talking about the dent and it falling. I was mentally prepared to buy a referb (if they had them), but it turned out better than I thought.

Thanks Apple!

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

That's great to hear. I just wish I could be sure all Apple stores would be as cool about it. Congrats on your new phone.

3. LastZion macrumors 6502a

Ya man congrats. I wouldn't say that this is the norm. Always pays to be polite and patient.

4. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

Glad all went your way, and you didn't have to buy another one!

5. calvy macrumors 65816

God these stories bug me. I get nothing but hassle from both of my local Genius bars. They see the dent on the back of the case and pretty much say "hey, you dropped it, nothing we can do"

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Might be worth the drive to another Apple store eh? :cool:

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I found my iPhone repair and service quite awesome. I called them up since there is no Apple store nearby (New Orleans), they arranged the whole thing and after 4 days got a new iPhone. (my old one dropped and no cracks but the touch screen became unresponsive in some parts).

Now I am abroad for a trip and this iPhone works as a charm:) :D

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, congrats...

get that case on it as soon as possible! :cool:

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Maybe he has a good track record with Apple. I remember one time i went in to get my iPod replaced and the guy looked up my account (many macs over the years) and goes "whoa..lotta stuff on here"

He became very nice and polite to me from then on and i got the best service. Maybe the OP has a long list of Apple product or is a premier AT&T customer or something

Also smaller Apple stores tend to be waay nicer than flagship ones in my experience

10. pavvento macrumors 6502

well I'm going to try out my Apple store even though Im' pretty sure of what will happen.

Scenario: My service has been crapping out frequently and my phone has been heating up. I have to plug it in to my computer 3 or 4 times before it syncs without getting an error. Today I dropped the dam thing face down on concreate and the bottom of hte screen is shattered. the whole screen still works absolutely fine.

What are the chances they acknowledge the problems without blaming it on the screen? I'm thinking zero.

11. Bad Ash macrumors regular

Bad Ash

I've been to my local Apple store 3 times in the past 3 days. First was my battery was a dud. Swapped it out no problemes. Then I get home and find 4-5 dead pixels on the screen. To me that's not acceptable. Went back the next day swapped that out. Everything seems cool... get home more dead pixels on this one! Not to mention this one loses it's signal randomly and the only thing that gets it back on track is a reset... Called the store and the manager told me to bring it in today and they would swap it out... hoping 3rd time is a charm. But I can't complain about the Apple stores around here.

12. kbunch macrumors member

kbunch

We use iPhones at my work. I recently bought my PC tech one so she could check email remotely and I also see it as a perk. Anywho, she decided to drop it in a toilet and it does not work anymore. What are the chances of replacing it after water damage?

13. Bad Ash macrumors regular

Bad Ash

I know there is something they can check to see if it has water damage. If they do that I don't think they will replace it. Unless you get a really nice Apple employee. Good luck.

14. tpouliot thread starter macrumors member

Plan on buying a new phone...

There is a water damage spot on the iPhone (as well as other phones). Apple will look for that. I have not heard of anyone successfully getting a new phone due to water damage.

Oh and yes, I have a "good" track record with Apple. I have a MPB, 2 iPhones, iPod nano...and never had any issues.

15. MWillis561 macrumors member

MWillis561

The water mark is in the headphone jack. It is at the very bottom of it. Very difficult to see if you are in a poorly lit room but it is there. It should be white if there is no water damage. If there is I think it turns pink. Maybe with a little white out and a paper clip you can "turn" your phone back into a non water damaged phone.

16. William Gates macrumors 6502

William Gates

The genius bar at houston galleria has been very kind to me as well. I've had my iPhone replaced twice, the first time it broke it was not my fault, but this last time I dropped it. It only happened once, and from about 2.5 feet, but landed right on the dock connector, my mic went out and it wouldn't recognize the charger or sync to itunes.

Both times I had the same "geniustender" and both times he was very kind and helpful. After a long wait to get to the bar both times, i had a new iphone within minutes. Kudos indeed. If it were any other phone I've ever had i would have been SoL. It just sucks having to drive 2 hours to an apple store, but it is a welcome trade, even with gas being 3.20 a gallon. Good excuse to go into the city!

17. William Gates macrumors 6502

William Gates

it does turn pink, but only half of it. pink semicircle, white semicircle

18. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

Same. First of all, I am super careful with my iPhone and all of my electronics. Yet once I carried my MacBook Pro with my hand behind the case. This created pixel damage through the case to the screen. They refused to do anything even though I have $300 coverage. Yet someone drops their phone a million times and gets a new one? They suck in my book.

19. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

This is insane... I got my phone the first week of February and have heard so many stories of faulty phones. Dead pixels, sub-standard coverage, battery problems. I ALWAYS find myself getting bad products. If they're out there, I get em. Just my luck. For once in my life I think I got a good solid product. No problems as of yet!

20. hauss316H macrumors member

you just jinxed yourself

21. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

YOU just jinxed me. Anything happens I'm blaming it on you! :D

22. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I second that jinx! I never talk about tech quality, performance, or the like.

As far as the phone replacement goes- congrats!! You are very lucky.

However, I would like to provide this analogy to ponder- while I would love to get a replacement iPhone, iPod, laptop if I droped it, I would not expect it. That is like saying to the car dealer...well, I know I wrecked my car, but it is not working...so you should replace it. Obviously they would laugh you out of the car dealership. So I don't get how anyone can be pissed about something not being replaced due to user damage. I can see being jealous of someone who actually got it replaced due to user fault. But my personal preference is to have everyone take care of their crap and suffer consequenses if they don't. Just like I am glad my car insurance doesn't go up due to someone else having an accident. But that is just me- I am careful with my things (lucky at times maybe :) ) I did almost drop my ibook last night!:eek:

23. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Being careful can only get you so far. Accidents happen. That's why they're called accidents.

And I agree with you about replacement. Apple has been really cool about it so far but people shouldn't be pissed off at them if they don't get the phone they broke replaced for free.

24. Bad Ash macrumors regular

Bad Ash

well went back this morning and they swapped it out again and this time all is well. I have very helpful Apple employees here in the Chicago area.

25. john.gotmods macrumors newbie

I'll do you one better...........

I bought a used 12" G4 in December on Ebay. I wanted a used one for travel. I travel all the time and didn't want to kill something that I didn't think I could replace so NEW was out. The "Buy it Now" was $500 and man for an older laptop it was in superb shape. I ramped up the RAM to 2 GBs and I was happy. One month later the motherboard went. At least I assumed that was what it was. I took it to the Apple store and payed the $325 to fix the problem. My used G4 was to be back in my arms in 8 days. I received a call on the 9th day from the Mac repair center. They told me that they could fix it but it was unknown how long they would have to wait for the motherboard ( I was right ) for that model to become available. So they gave me brand new MacBook in its place. If you're car was beyond repair and out of warranty and second hand would the manufacturer just give you a new one? Hell no. Glad to be with Mac.:apple: