Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning four to six products with mini-LED displays over the next two to three years, including a high-end 12.9-inch iPad Pro with an A14X chip in the third quarter of 2020 and a refreshed 16-inch MacBook Pro in the fourth quarter of 2020, according to well-known Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Apple_16-inch-MacBook-Pro_111319_big.jpg.large_-800x578.jpg

In a research note with TF International Securities today, obtained by MacRumors, Kuo said the mini-LED displays will "significantly improve productivity and the entertainment experience" without elaborating.

LG Display and GIS will be the most significant benefactors of these mini-LED products starting next year, according to Kuo.

Kuo has previously said that Mini-LED displays will allow for thinner and lighter product designs, while offering many of the same benefits of OLED displays used on the latest iPhones, including good wide color gamut performance, high contrast and dynamic range, and local dimming for truer blacks.

Kuo has also previously said that future iPad and MacBook displays will each use approximately 10,000 LEDs, compared to 576 in Apple's upcoming Pro Display XDR. Each LED would be below 200 microns in size.

Apple is widely rumored to refresh the iPad Pro in spring 2020, and if so, a new 12.9-inch model in fall 2020 would certainly be soon after.

Update: DigiTimes reports similar: "For the new MacBook said to adopt mini LED backlighting and to be released in 2020, its backlighting module reportedly will be supplied by Taiwan-based Zhen Ding Tech, the sources noted."

Article Link: Kuo: 12.9-Inch iPad Pro and 16-Inch MacBook Pro With Mini-LED Displays to Launch in Second Half of 2020

Last edited:

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I would love a mini LED iPad and MBP, but I still doubt it will happen in 2020. It would be great, though.

Reactions: 0924487

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Kuo is pretty reliable. I'm exciting to see how this turns out though I fear what lofty price the 12.9 LED model will be. I'll say $2200.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Seems like 2020 will be when all the good stuff is coming.

Redesigned iPhone with X55 modem (and high refresh rate display?)
New Macbooks (802.11ax and high refresh rate display?)
New iPads
New iMac possibly?

I’m not a Beats user myself but my wife has been waiting what feels like forever for Beats Studio 4 headphones - another 2020 release?

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Looking forward to more details. I held onto my 2013 rMBP until this year because it was still working and the incremental improvements were not compelling enough to get me to upgrade until this year. Depending on the details of next year's machine, I may upgrade again in 2020.

Nick A

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
Kuo is usually pretty on point but this seems unlikely, especially for the 16" Pro. I personally feel Apple will update the 16" in Q3 with 10th gen CPUs and WiFi 6. The mini-LED tech just seems too far off but who knows, Apple can be unpredictable sometimes.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Can't wait for all the posts about how mini LED is going to solve all the LCD and OLED problems only to find in a year that mini LED has a bunch of problems of its own

That's MicroLED. MicroLED will solve some of the biggest issues of both technologies. It will be self-emissive like OLED which means insane contrasts and amazing viewing angles, but it will also have peak brightness of LCD and no burn-in issues. It will be a big step forward.

However, that is not coming soon. Mini-LED is something in between. It is, actually, close to standard LED LCD, it's just it has much smaller LED backlights that will allow better contrast than standard LED LCD screens. So, they are still backlight screens, unlike OLED/MicroLED screens.

They are very expensive to make, though, so I'm not sure if that is really coming so soon.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Well - I hope the 11" will be updated as well and same goes for the 14" Macbook Pro!
[automerge]1575303291[/automerge]
That's MicroLED. MicroLED will solve some of the biggest issues of both technologies. It will be self-emissive like OLED which means insane contrasts and amazing viewing angles, but it will also have peak brightness of LCD and no burn-in issues. It will be a big step forward.

However, that is not coming soon. Mini-LED is something in between. It is, actually, close to standard LED LCD, it's just it has much smaller LED backlights that will allow better contrast than standard LED LCD screens. So, they are still backlight screens, unlike OLED/MicroLED screens.

They are very expensive to make, though, so I'm not sure if that is really coming so soon.

Thanks a lot for pointing this out. My mind was reading MicroLED when in fact the article reads Mini-LED....

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

Apple is planning four to six products with mini-LED displays over the next two to three years, including a high-end 12.9-inch iPad Pro with an A14X chip in the third quarter of 2020

iPad Pro in 1st half and 2nd half of 2020

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/11/13/kuo-ipad-pro-3d-iphone-se-2-first-half-2020/

That would be kind of odd. I suppose they could do the 11.5" and then the 12" later. Or just stack the 12 mini-led one into a whole new higher price zone.

If there is no 13X chip than that would more so be an indicator then perhaps both were sliding into 3rd Q 2020. ( Apple skipped 11X ).

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Seems like 2020 will be when all the good stuff is coming.

Redesigned iPhone with X55 modem (and high refresh rate display?)
New Macbooks (802.11ax and high refresh rate display?)
New iPads
New iMac possibly?

I’m not a Beats user myself but my wife has been waiting what feels like forever for Beats Studio 4 headphones - another 2020 release?
I am really looking forward to the 2020 iPhones as it is sounding like there will be numerous, significant improvements. Is there anything in particular your wife is expecting in Studio 4 headphones? I love my Studio 3 headphones and I really can't think of anything they are lacking. I'm not an audiophile so the current quality of sound is good enough for me (for my use case, I doubt I would even notice if the sound quality was improved). The ANC works well and the battery life is great. Just wondering what she is expecting in the next version.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Can't wait for all the posts about how mini LED is going to solve all the LCD and OLED problems only to find in a year that mini LED has a bunch of problems of its own
You are confusing miniled with micro led
Microled is the ONE but i guess 5-6 years later
Edit:i saw already someone else fixed that

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

Billyk711

Suspended
Sep 26, 2015
Kuo is pretty reliable. I'm exciting to see how this turns out though I fear what lofty price the 12.9 LED model will be. I'll say $2200.
He isn’t reliable at all, what happened to iPad Pro coming in October,
Kuo is all over the place, only thing he gets correct is in October when he says Apple will be releasing 3 new iPhones in September with new a14 chip & better cameras.
And when he forecast sales that’s where he gets it all wrong.
I liked when he said that there would be severe shortages of iPhone 11 max.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Ah crap now I regret getting the 2019 16”
:( Only partly kidding.

“Around the corner” syndrome is hard to
overcome.
I'm in a similar position, only I haven't gotten a 16" just yet. My Mid 2012 15" Retina is beginning to show its age, as well as the infamous GPU-related kernel panics. Not sure I can wait another year, but the current models have disappointing displays.

And as the post above pointed out, Kuo does get things wrong. This is not a guarantee, only a rumor.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

Probably not. There is a decent chance that the mini-LED will be needed to help rationalize the current price points zone that the iPad Pro 12.9 is in. Apple's inflated prices for SSD capacity should be wearing even thinner in the market by 3rd 2020.

I think the iPad Pro's are going to come back a bit in price and that the mini-LED is probably going to be something to keep the same top end price points they have now.

Two major factors. First, By 3Q 2020 there should be much more capable Windows tablet slabs with just as good battery life ( perhaps on 2nd gen Windows ARM SoC at the end of that Q3 and even more probably by Q4 2020. ). If Intel or AMD gets their stuff together in that space in late 2020, even more so. The competitive space the iPad Pro is in is going to pick up. Second, the iPad Pro is likely to start to hit a similar 'wall' that the iPad ran into several years after introduction. A substantive number of people are going to be slow to upgrade. Pushing the "newest" price up past most of the MacBook price range isn't going help that. Going to push more folks into the "the current one works just fine" mode. Apple will need to bring that feature down into the more affordable range to get it to move. ( e.g., brining Apple Pencil down to the entry iPad).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.