Kuo: 12.9-Inch iPad Pro and 16-Inch MacBook Pro With Mini-LED Displays to Launch in Second Half of 2020

Lucifer666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014
This is very good news. Anyone who owns the OLED phones can only look at other displays with a bit of disappointment. The difference is huge with contrast and blacks. HUGE.

Of course there are people who are insane and don't agree :D

But the posters who remind us that this new tech is bound to have it's own issues are wise. Let's just hope these will be minor. Wishful thinking?

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
Micro-LED is far out. mini-LED is pragmatically about what have now with more local dimming zones ( and higher official HDR qualification label. ). ( smaller lights means can have more independent ones/groups ) Those are shipping now. By Q3 2020 it won't be bleeding edge tech. It will be a relatively incremental upgrade. ( for many non-bleeding edge video app workloads it won't be radically different. )
10,000 leds is a lot for a full array led backlight. Even if they are grouped into. Zones that is still very tiny zones and will give amazing contrast and should be very similar to oled but with a huge brightness increase. Should have very good hdr with that many led’s also. I think Apple is waiting to release a Dolby vision capable screen till they have this going.
it’s not a small upgrade it is a progression of what they have now in tv’s but still 10 thousand is very very high. Not quite what micro will be but still should be a huge improvement over what we have now. Aren’t the MacBook And iPad screens edge lit? don’t think there’s any array of leds/zones in current screens.

jlocker

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
But like I have always said, there is new technology every year. Hey trade or sell the MacBook Pro 16 next year and use that cash to roll it into a new MacBook Pro 16 :) Like people who purchase a new iPhone every year :)

WoodpeckerBaby

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2016
Is this going to have the PWM issue?
no, it’s DC analog, just like your dim lamp. It doesn’t strobe. OLED strobe because it needs to refresh the image, and miniLED is just the backlight and now distributed into a lot more zones to allow for local dimming. The image is still rendered by the standard LCD panel.

YetAnotherAppleFan92

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
That's MicroLED. MicroLED will solve some of the biggest issues of both technologies. It will be self-emissive like OLED which means insane contrasts and amazing viewing angles, but it will also have peak brightness of LCD and no burn-in issues. It will be a big step forward.

However, that is not coming soon. Mini-LED is something in between. It is, actually, close to standard LED LCD, it's just it has much smaller LED backlights that will allow better contrast than standard LED LCD screens. So, they are still backlight screens, unlike OLED/MicroLED screens.

They are very expensive to make, though, so I'm not sure if that is really coming so soon.
Oh... thanks for pointing that out. I definitely read that wrong too. But now I’m kind of disappointed...

Reactions: aevan

klagermkii

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2007
Ah crap now I regret getting the 2019 16”
:( Only partly kidding.

“Around the corner” syndrome is hard to
overcome.
My only consolation for this is that it seems like a technology that could be very messy in the first generation, in terms of reliability, consistency and calibration of those individual LEDs in a very slim factor.

Probably good to not be an early adopter of this one. Was an early adopter of LED backlighting with the Santa Rosa MBP and that didn't take long to develop stage-lighting type issues.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Would Mini-LED up the resolution of the 16" or just update the brightness and contrast?
Will the MBP 16" 2020 have 4K or close to 4K screen?
...it literally says what benefits of Mini-LED are. They have nothing to do with resolution.

- Thinner and lighter displays
- Wide color gamut
- High contrast and dynamic range
- Local dimming for truer blacks

A huge improvement over standard LCD, with most of the benefits of OLED (local dimming being the only one I really care about).

Metrosey

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2019
Don't get me wrong, I like reading the articles and comments but wasn't this already mentioned last month? It isn't anything new.

aevan

macrumors 68040
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Oh... thanks for pointing that out. I definitely read that wrong too. But now I’m kind of disappointed...
Yeah, well - MicroLED will be here in like 10 years or something (they need to shrink it first, then the price needs to drop, etc.) - it's so far off that you shouldn't even think about it :) But Mini-LED, now, that may come sooner and it will actually offer some really nice benefits in terms of contrast. Maybe even higher peak brightness. Imagine watching some Dolby Vision Netflix on a Mini-LED iPad Pro in a dark room, it would be great.

EugW

macrumors 604
Jun 18, 2017
He isn’t reliable at all, what happened to iPad Pro coming in October
You are very confused. Kuo way back in May said the updated iPad Pro would begin mass production at the end of 2019 / beginning of 2020.

Kuo never even once suggested that new iPad Pros were coming October 2019. You’re probably thinking of Bloomberg or something, but Kuo has nothing to do with Bloomberg.

Reactions: Roscorito

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
Technically they could release a miniLED iPad next year, but no way it’ll be at the same price points.

My guess is updated 11” and 12,9” iPad Pro in spring, new 12,9” iPad Pro Pro at higher price point in fall.
Just don't see them releasing the 12.9 twice next year, but guess we will see.

gnipgnop

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2009
If there is no 13X chip than that would more so be an indicator then perhaps both were sliding into 3rd Q 2020. ( Apple skipped 11X ).
That could also mean that Apple will release an A14X Apple TV in 2020. That's a fun thought!

fokmik

macrumors 601
Oct 28, 2016
USA
This is very good news. Anyone who owns the OLED phones can only look at other displays with a bit of disappointment. The difference is huge with contrast and blacks. HUGE.

Of course there are people who are insane and don't agree :D

But the posters who remind us that this new tech is bound to have it's own issues are wise. Let's just hope these will be minor. Wishful thinking?
this is mini led, not micro led....so the blacks still not 0 like oled with pixels turned off
- - Post merged: - -

Apple should increase the thickness by 1mm or use 7000series al...to avoid that bend issue

Reactions: dz5b609

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Ah crap now I regret getting the 2019 16”
:( Only partly kidding.

“Around the corner” syndrome is hard to
overcome.
But you'd have to wait with what ever you had before. For me, this year on the 2019 16" rather than my gimping 2014 is going to be well worth not having the 2020 16" and getting by on only the 2019 16" for a few years. I'll upgrade again in 2022/23, at that point maybe 10nm Intel will be available in the H series, or Apple will have moved on to their A-series. Just imagine how great that machine will be!

applesed

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
what is the benefit of microLED? let's see is "productivity and entertainment" code for better battery life and crisper/brighter/more accurate colors?

Artsketch

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2019
Followed the rumors since August but 1 month ago I decided not waiting anymore and bought an used iPad Pro 12.9” 2018 64GB in mint condition with only 20 loadcycles for 20% lower price than the best deal at the time. I don’t regret.

Has anybody heard anything new about this App Event in New York City at 4 pm ET, December 2?