Kuo: 2019 iPhones to Feature 12MP Front Cameras, Special Black Coating to Hide Lenses, and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 18, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

All three 2019 iPhones will feature 12-megapixel single-lens front cameras, up from 7-megapixels on the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR, according to the latest research note from well-known analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

[​IMG]

The note, obtained by MacRumors, adds that the next iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max models with 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch OLED displays respectively will also feature triple-lens rear cameras, including a 12-megapixel telephoto lens, 12-megapixel wide-angle lens, and a 12-megapixel super-wide-angle lens supplied by Sony:
    Kuo believes the next iPhone XR with a 6.1-inch LCD display will sport a dual-lens rear camera, as the WSJ previously reported, although he did not provide megapixels or any other camera specifications for that model. The rear camera on the current iPhone XR is a single 12-megapixel wide-angle lens.

Kuo says the rear super-wide-angle lens and front camera lens on the next iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max will adopt "black lens-coating technologies," which will make the lenses look "inconspicuous," as hinted at previously.

The rumored triple-lens camera design for the next iPhones has proved quite controversial, but the special coating should help the far-right lens blend into the black bezels for a more aesthetically pleasing look.

The triple-lens camera design was first leaked by OnLeaks:

[​IMG]

A chart from the research note:

[​IMG]

Kuo says the new iPhones will be introduced in the second half of 2019. This is no surprise, as Apple has unveiled new iPhones in September every year since 2012. Last year, the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max became available to order on September 14, followed by the iPhone XR on October 19.

Article Link: Kuo: 2019 iPhones to Feature 12MP Front Cameras, Special Black Coating to Hide Lenses, and More

2. AyeKay15 macrumors member

AyeKay15

Can they update to 20MP for the back camera please?

3. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

They will look inconspicuous, other than being a large protruding square black hump on the back of the phone. Nobody will know what they are.

4. Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

Is that really the standout feature this year? If so boring news for us ugly folks.

5. FFR Suspended

FFR

6. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

your iphone's so fat, yo mama changed jokes

7. MrGunnyPT macrumors 6502

MrGunnyPT

If cameras are the only major upgrade, I'm skipping it till 2020.

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

9. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Always pleased to see camera improvements on iPhone.

(Maybe Apple could redirect the old FaceTime cameras to the iMac though.)

10. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

That black lens coating will probably have quite the effect on the aperture/shutter speed. Wonder if this is a sign that they've been really working on low light images or if things are just gonna get worse. I'd be very surprised if it was the latter.

11. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

Right! Love my $2000 Mac and it’s 10¢ camera

12. Intellectua1 Suspended

Intellectua1

Pass, pass, pass! I'm not going for the small camera upgrades and the it's faster crap again, let me know when these phones can provide a new experience. Sure it's faster but I can guarantee you won't notice the difference.

13. Precursor macrumors 6502a

Precursor

And how will this black coating affect photography in low light conditions??

14. centauratlas macrumors 65816

centauratlas

From the rumors so far, it seems underwhelming, but the true test will be when it is announced to see exactly what it buys. Looking at all the rumors so far though, I am not seeing a compelling reason to upgrade. We'll see in August/September I guess.

15. bLackjackj macrumors member

Boring. Seriously, the only thing that stands out is the flash.

Looks like I’ll be sticking with my X for yet ANOTHER year!

Innovation at Apple, is clearly dead.

16. matc macrumors member

Ages back I once saw a patent where Apple was hiding the camera behind the display. THIS would be amazing - not because of the cosmetic improvements but simply because you would be able to look into each others eyes when doing FaceTime. That would be a game changer to remote human interaction.

17. DanBig macrumors regular

Please! Don't cut down the lenses ability to collect the light by putting a blacking coating on the cover glass. The light gathering aperture on these camera phones is already too low!

I dare Apple to get better than 1.8 on their phones lenses and give us a real aperture (Iris) control.

18. bgraham macrumors regular

I just want a smaller notch.

Improvements to the cameras are always nice, though. It will be a tough choice between a dual camera XR and triple camera XS. Hopefully the XR only has a wide angle camera, like the S10e and ignores the telephoto.

19. CrazyForCashews macrumors 6502

iPhones are getting really boring. I'd like to see Apple catch up to Samsung in terms of features and innovation.

20. Relentless Power, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

What kind of ‘new experience’ are you expecting? I mean, what was face ID? I think too many are quick to pass judgment on the triple lens camera and yet we don’t even know what its capabilities are as yet. I usually wait to fall to make any judgments, but I would say this year is slated to be a fairly big upgrade for the camera more than anything else. If Apple improves low light photography, I consider that to be fairly significant for me.

21. Fynd macrumors 6502

This sounds good. So we're looking at: usual CPU/GPU performance boost, much larger batteries + reverse wireless charging, a much improved front facing camera, and the addition of an ultra-wide-angle lens to the back camera so far.

I'm hoping iOS 13 brings some sort of night sight style mode to the camera app.

22. ChrisMoBro macrumors 6502

ChrisMoBro

I’ve rarely needed a lens that can capture a wider image. What I’d rather see, and I’m sure a lot of fellow iPhone users feel the same, are features that can handle low-light scenarios better than the current lenses. Quite often I have to fall back to the standard focal length because Portrait mode looks hideous when the lighting isn’t perfect.

23. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

pshh let's see them attach a dslr to the back of one of these things, then we'll talk!

24. Zandian macrumors regular

“We forecast the camera upgrade will be one of the new 2H19 iPhone's major selling points.”

Not hard to forecast when that’s the only significant difference from last year’s iPhone...

Z

25. bbednarz macrumors 65816

bbednarz

What innovative feature should they add?

Smart phones have peaked, people. We've known this for a few years now.