Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The upcoming 2022 iPhone lineup will feature two 6.1-inch devices and two 6.7-inch devices, with no mini-sized 5.4-inch iPhone, well-respected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in a note to investors that was seen by MacRumors. Two of the iPhones will be high-end models and two of the iPhones will be lower-end models, similar to the current iPhone 12 lineup.

iphone12cameras.jpg

Apple introduced the 5.4-inch iPhone mini in the iPhone 12 lineup and plans to continue to sell a 5.4-inch device in 2021, but it looks like the size will be discontinued after that, if Kuo's information is accurate. The iPhone 12 mini has not been selling as well as expected, according to multiple iPhone sales estimates.

Along with streamlining size options, Kuo believes that Apple will introduce significant camera upgrades in the 2022 iPhones, adding a 48-megapixel camera in the high-end iPhone 14 models. Kuo says that the upgraded camera lens will take iPhone camera photography "to a new level."
In terms of pixel size, the iPhone 12, iPhone 13, and new 2H22 iPhone are about 1.7um, 2um, and 1.25um, respectively. We believe that the new 2H22 iPhone may support direct 48MP output and 12MP (four cells merge output mode) output simultaneously. With 12MP output, the CIS pixel size of the new 2H22 iPhone increases to about 2.5um, which is significantly larger than the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13, and larger than existing Android phones, and close to the DSC level. We believe that the camera quality of the new 2H22 iPhone will elevate mobile phone camera photography to a new level.
Along with a 48-megapixel lens that will also be able to output in 12-megapixels, Kuo expects the high-end iPhones to be capable of recording 8K video, and he says that in the future, watching iPhone-recorded videos on an 8K display or TV will "offer a better user experience."

Because the best resolution for augmented and mixed reality is 8K to 16K, Kuo says that the 48-megapixel camera in the 2022 iPhone will create videos and images "more suitable for AR/MR devices" and that will "enhance the AR/MR user experience."

As for future iPhones, Kuo says that Apple will adopt a periscope telephoto lens in 2023, along with under-display Face ID, which would presumably see the elimination of the notch. Kuo previously said that Apple would introduce a hole-punch front camera in the 2022 iPhone and that at least one iPhone in 2023 would feature under-display Touch ID and a full-screen display with no notch or holes.

Article Link: Kuo: 2022 iPhones to Feature 48-Megapixel Camera, 8K Video, and 6.1 and 6.7" Sizes With No 5.4" Mini Option

Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I knew my decision to wait until 2023 to upgrade from my iPhone X was the best one! Then again this could be part of Apples strategy of planting fantastical stories into the supply chain to find leakers. Personally what Apple needs to put a lot of effort into is better zoom. I was on the bus’s and a man was standing across the street that looked like President Biden. I could clearly see the man, when I decided to capture the image using my iPhone X and using the digital zoom it came out awful.

Reactions: 5105973 and Okasian

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Good riddance, mini.

But seriously, it makes sense. You can't have a premium device in 2022 with a tiny 5.4" display and no room for a big sensor.
Right. Because Apple can’t figure out how to make a small phone…

People have such an obsession with size. At this rate by 2030 we will all be walking around with ipad sized phones and everyone will think your crazy if you don’t.

youdontsay

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2013
I know lots of people here think the mini was just the result of listening to a minority of users with loud voices.
However I’m genuinely curious to see how the 2021 model (with stores opened) will do. I am using a mini ATM and I won’t go back to big phones. I think if people are able to actually see and use it, it might do better.

caribbeanblue

macrumors regular
May 14, 2020

The upcoming 2022 iPhone lineup will feature two 6.1-inch devices and two 6.7-inch devices, with no mini-sized 5.4-inch iPhone, well-respected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in a note to investors that was seen by MacRumors. Two of the iPhones will be high-end models and two of the iPhones will be lower-end models, similar to the current iPhone 12 lineup.

iphone12cameras.jpg

Apple introduced the 5.4-inch iPhone mini in the iPhone 12 lineup and plans to continue to sell a 5.4-inch device in 2021, but it looks like the size will be discontinued after that, if Kuo's information is accurate. The iPhone 12 mini has not been selling as well as expected, according to multiple iPhone sales estimates.

Along with streamlining size options, Kuo believes that Apple will introduce significant camera upgrades in the 2022 iPhones, adding a 48-megapixel camera in the high-end iPhone 14 models. Kuo says that the upgraded camera lens will take iPhone camera photography "to a new level."Along with a 48-megapixel lens that will also be able to output in 12-megapixels, Kuo expects the high-end iPhones to be capable of recording 8K video, and he says that in the future, watching iPhone-recorded videos on an 8K display or TV will "offer a better user experience."

Because the best resolution for augmented and mixed reality is 8K to 16K, Kuo says that the 48-megapixel camera in the 2022 iPhone will create videos and images "more suitable for AR/MR devices" and that will "enhance the AR/MR user experience."

As for future iPhones, Kuo says that Apple will adopt a periscope telephoto lens in 2023, along with under-display Face ID, which would presumably see the elimination of the notch. Kuo previously said that Apple would introduce a hole-punch front camera in the 2022 iPhone and that at least one iPhone in 2023 would feature under-display Touch ID and a full-screen display with no notch or holes.

Article Link: Kuo: 2022 iPhones to Feature 48-Megapixel Camera, 8K Video, and 6.1 and 6.7" Sizes With no 5.4" Mini Option
So: iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Max, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro Max? The iPhone 14 Max sounds like a great idea, to offer a Max-sized screen iPhone for those who don’t want to shell out +$1000 for a 14 Pro Max half of whose features customers won’t even know existed on it (that said, maybe the 14 Pro Max will be a $1.5K phone). But why take away the 5.4” iPhone 14 mini? And worse, why can’t Apple give us an iPhone 14 Pro mini 😩

The optimist in me says, though, sometime in 2024-2025 Apple will release an iPhone SE and iPhone SE mini at 6.1“ and 5.4” sizes (these will probably be the 4th-5th gen iPhone SE by then), adopting OLED displays, and all with the A16 chip from 2022, and THAT will be when they will give the opportunity for 12 and 13 mini users to upgrade. The mini will stay as an SE model in the future. I hope.

Last edited:

leeuk321

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
I love the idea of the iPhone Mini, but I reluctantly got the standard iPhone 12 last year purely because of the battery size. I need to use my phone throughout the day for my business, so the fact that the battery lasts all day is a deal-maker that I couldn't refuse, but would have much preferred a smaller size. If I didn't need my phone for business, I'd get the Mini in a heartbeat.

I want to fantasise that one day there will be a change in battery technology and that Apple will release a mini iPhone that lasts all day (and more), and it'll be a big hit, but my instincts tell me that people will still want a large-screen phone even if a smaller full-spec model is available.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I know lots of people here think the mini was just the result of listening to a minority of users with loud voices.
However I’m genuinely curious to see how the 2021 model (with stores opened) will do. I am using a mini ATM and I won’t go back to big phones. I think if people are able to actually see and use it, it might do better.

Yet, consumers didn't need to see or hold the 6.7" Pro Max before buying it. The Pro Max outsold the mini by 400% right at launch in late 2020. If you objectively look at the sales of the iPhone 12 mini, it's pretty clear it's by far the worst performing device in the series.

Thunderstrike76

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
I knew my decision to wait until 2023 to upgrade from my iPhone X was the best one! Then again this could be part of Apples strategy of planting fantastical stories into the supply chain to find leakers. Personally what Apple needs to put a lot of effort into is better zoom. I was on the bus’s and a man was standing across the street that looked like President Biden. I could clearly see the man, when I decided to capture the image using my iPhone X and using the digital zoom it came out awful.
The iPhone X will be 6 years old in 2023. Do you normally hang onto a phone that long as your daily driver?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.