Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
There is literally no point to have those resolutions on those sized screens. The density of the pixels is what matters most for clarity and Apple is already there now. Adding more pixels needlessly will only cause more demand on your GPU, and waste more power/shorten battery life. It's literally not worth the tradeoff on a portable device.
When working with 4K or higher resolutions it’s best to have a 1:1 ratio when editing on screen and a true representation while viewing content without down and up sampling.

MacHeritage

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
...and it will leave more room for a bigger battery so it will run even longer.
The 16" is maxed out already. They can't put a larger battery in because of flight regulations. The 14", maybe but I doubt it. They will probably just work on the chip to use as least power as possible for certain tasks in order to gain battery life, along with any power savings from the chip manufacturing process they can squeeze out.

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
When working with 4K or higher resolutions it’s best to have a 1:1 ratio when editing on screen and a true representation while viewing content without down and up sampling.
Not when you can't actually see the pixels already it doesn't... My point stands.

Did you mean to say MacBook Air 15” in midnight? Or is there going to be a MacBook Pro in midnight? I was thinking of getting the 13” air in midnight, but if there is going to be a pro in midnight, I would rather wait for that.
Whoops! Thank you for catching that. I've fixed it! :)

I meant to say Macbook Air 15". Not Pro. I don't think we will see another update for MacBook Pro's until early 2024 now. Apple is pretty much done with the Pro line up this year.

cucumbersandwich

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2017
Whoops! Thank you for catching that. I've fixed it! :)

I meant to say Macbook Air 15". Not Pro. I don't think we will see another update for MacBook Pro's until early 2024 now. Apple is pretty much done with the Pro line up this year.
It would be nice if there was something new in between the MacBook Air and m2 pro/max MacBook pros. A consumer laptop with a fan is what I would like, in midnight or matte black.

Reactions: compwiz1202

TheRomeroZombie

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2023
Your mom’s house
Whatever. Bunch of chumps just jealous that I’ll be rockin the MBP16 M2 Max w/96GB. Cry more. And I threw the new HomePod in for good measure beaches!

Attachments

• 0604A7A0-056B-4000-8B56-CBE7003330A9.jpeg
    0604A7A0-056B-4000-8B56-CBE7003330A9.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 58
  • E9B69D11-8524-46F9-A3CA-5F9708488FD2.png
    E9B69D11-8524-46F9-A3CA-5F9708488FD2.png
    703.9 KB · Views: 57

spnc

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2021
The wonder I've been waiting for. Didn't upgrade since the first tiny 13" M1 since I saw what a beast the M3 would be. This time I'm going to break the bank to get max specs on the M3 Max or Ultra (?) or whatever the most expensive is called?

I have a few questions guys:

- How much money should I save for this until next year? The maxed out M2 is 7'500 bucks/eur/whatever. Shall I aim for 9k to get the full specs on the M3 16"?

- As music producer and running video editing, graphic design and coding projects i particularly need maximum possible internal SDD so that I can get rid of all my external drives and keep everything fast on a single internal SSD - do you already know if the leaks confirmed that 8TB will still be the max size for the M3, or they will push it further like 12TB?

- I also need the maximum power when it comes to RAM - will 96GB be the maximum same as the M2 Max? You think they could push it to 128GB?

- Will Thunderbolt 5 also be already rolled out? I've read this could fix many situations with some 6k+ non-Apple monitors that are currently restricted by Apple's own limitations. If not, I guess I'll have no choice but to go for the next forthcoming Apple monitors. Especially since I'd like to have 3 of them connected to my MBP, to run Ableton on two screens and another screen for emails, etc.

- Will it include WiFi 7 support as well?

THANK YOU

Last edited:

TheRomeroZombie

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2023
Your mom’s house
The wonder I've been waiting for. Didn't upgrade since the first tiny 13" M1 since I saw what a beast the M3 would be. This time I'm going to break the bank to get max specs on the M3 Max or Ultra (?) or whatever the most expensive is called?

I have a few questions guys:

- How much money should I save for this until next year? The maxed out M2 is 7'500 bucks/eur/whatever. Shall I aim for 9k to get the full specs on the M3 16"?

- As music producer and running video editing, graphic design and coding projects i particularly need maximum possible internal SDD so that I can get rid of all my external drives and keep everything fast on a single internal SSD - do you already know if the leaks confirmed that 8TB will still be the max size for the M3, or they will push it further like 12TB?

- I also need the maximum power when it comes to RAM - will 96GB be the maximum same as the M2 Max? You think they could push it to 128GB?

- Will Thunderbolt 5 also be already rolled out? I've read this could fix many situations with some 6k+ non-Apple monitors that are currently restricted by Apple's own limitations. If not, I guess I'll have no choice but to go for the next forthcoming Apple monitors. Especially since I'd like to have 3 of them connected to my MBP, to run Ableton on two screens and another screen for emails, etc.

- Will it include WiFi 7 support as well?

THANK YOU
There won't be an M3 Ultra. M3 Max would be the best inside of a MBP. Ultra will likely only be available in the Studio, and perhaps even the Mac Pro (unfortunately).

1. For the M2 Max MBP16 with 96 GB of memory, I spent well over $4k, but that was with the student discount, which I think saved me like $500. But I only did the 2 TB ssd. Hard drives don't matter to me nearly as much as everything else, especially at Apple's price. I always go top model, fully loaded except ssd. You wouldn't need $9k even if you did. You said a fully loaded M2 Max MBP16 is $7500 right? So why in the world would it be $9k? Even if you lived in a state with high tax, and got Apple Care, it wouldn't come even close to that. Save an extra $200 on top of the current fully loaded price just in case. Seems logical doesn't it? Also, just my advise, if you're needing to save money for such a machine, I'd advise against getting it. Should invest it instead.

2. No one could tell you definitively, but I'm guessing 9 out of 10 will tell you 8TB. Let me get this straight though, you do music production, graphic design, video editing, and coding? Never met someone that was in 4 very different fields, all at once. These just little side things you occasionally dabble in? What's wrong with externals? Or better question, what's wrong with A external, as in one? They make them incredibly slim and light, and even matching the silver or space grey. Even the largest and top of the line will be far cheaper than Apple. What I do, I get the highest capacity microsd, which today I believe is 1 TB (haven't done it yet, just got my laptop a week ago), a couple of companies make expansion cards that are aluminum, in silver or space grey, that sit flush with the side of the machine. Nothing sticking out. That immediately expands your internal hd space by 1tb. I then get a top of the line high capacity dual USB C flash drive. That's another 1tb. Neither of these take up space. One stays in the laptop, the other can even be on your keyring. You do you though.

3. This was the largest amount of memory that's ever been available on any Apple laptop. If you watch their trends, you'd pretty much figure the answer would be no on that. 96 GB will very likely be the cap, for at least the next model, or even two. I had 64 GB on my 2019 i9 Intel 5600m. That means it took them 4 years to expand to 96 GB, and these just came out.

4. MBPs can already do 8k monitors with HDMI 2.1. Therefore thunderbolt not even neccessary. And what do you mean "non apple?" I don't think Apple makes 8k monitors. Isn't it 5k? Isn't 6E already basically future proofing? This just came out for the first time on Pros. Again, highly doubt anything at all will have wifi 7 by the time the M3s come out.

I'll be honest... part of me thinks you are trolling.

Last edited:
Reactions: spnc

A1423

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2023
There won't be an M3 Ultra. M3 Max would be the best inside of a MBP. Ultra will likely only be available in the Studio, and perhaps even the Mac Pro (unfortunately).

1. For the M2 Max MBP16 with 96 GB of memory, I spent well over $4k, but that was with the student discount, which I think saved me like $500. But I only did the 2 TB ssd. Hard drives don't matter to me nearly as much as everything else, especially at Apple's price. I always go top model, fully loaded except ssd. You wouldn't need $9k even if you did. You said a fully loaded M2 Max MBP16 is $7500 right? So why in the world would it be $9k? Even if you lived in a state with high tax, and got Apple Care, it wouldn't come even close to that. Save an extra $200 on top of the current fully loaded price just in case. Seems logical doesn't it? Also, just my advise, if you're needing to save money for such a machine, I'd advise against getting it. Should invest it instead.

2. No one could tell you definitively, but I'm guessing 9 out of 10 will tell you 8TB. Let me get this straight though, you do music production, graphic design, video editing, and coding? Never met someone that was in 4 very different fields, all at once. These just little side things you occasionally dabble in? What's wrong with externals? Or better question, what's wrong with A external, as in one? They make them incredibly slim and light, and even matching the silver or space grey. Even the largest and top of the line will be far cheaper than Apple. What I do, I get the highest capacity microsd, which today I believe is 1 TB (haven't done it yet, just got my laptop a week ago), a couple of companies make expansion cards that are aluminum, in silver or space grey, that sit flush with the side of the machine. Nothing sticking out. That immediately expands your internal hd space by 1tb. I then get a top of the line high capacity dual USB C flash drive. That's another 1tb. Neither of these take up space. One stays in the laptop, the other can even be on your keyring. You do you though.

3. This was the largest amount of memory that's ever been available on any Apple laptop. If you watch their trends, you'd pretty much figure the answer would be no on that. 96 GB will very likely be the cap, for at least the next model, or even two. I had 64 GB on my 2019 i9 Intel 5600m. That means it took them 4 years to expand to 96 GB, and these just came out.

4. MBPs can already do 8k monitors with HDMI 2.1. Therefore thunderbolt not even neccessary. And what do you mean "non apple?" I don't think Apple makes 8k monitors. Isn't it 5k? Isn't 6E already basically future proofing? This just came out for the first time on Pros. Again, highly doubt anything at all will have wifi 7 by the time the M3s come out.

You know what, I am sitting here trying to decide whether to go with the 2tb SSD option for an extra $360 dollars or save the money and go with an external drive back up for my pictures in iCloud. You just gave me a great idea for a portable backup solution that means I don't need to lug around an external drive for Time Machine backups. Thank you.

Reactions: TheRomeroZombie

spnc

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2021

I'm not trolling lol. But thanks for the detailed answer and logical explanations, highly appreciate it! I can anticipate a bit on what's going happen next.

1. "There won't be an M3 Ultra. M3 Max would be the best inside of a MBP" ah okay my bad that's only for the Studio/Pro, shame!

1. I maxed out the M2 on the Apple store to get an idea and trust me you can almost reach 10k bucks. So with the current context on prices, inflation, US vs. China etc. I wouldn't be surprised if it reaches 10k or even more next year on the M3.

1. Money is no issue, my daddy's rich and will pay for it.

2. "Never met someone that was in 4 very different fields, all at once" well brave new world :) life's too short to limit yourself lol that'd be boring. Even if some fields would be just 'hobbies' I would still need the space I don't see the relevance here. But yes I make money in all 4 fields so that's definitely pushing me to always max out my specs for peace of mind (and need). These fields are pretty much interconnected and synergistic by the way, I'm surprised you find it surprising.

2. "What's wrong with externals? Or better question, what's wrong with A external, as in one? They make them incredibly slim and light, and even matching the silver or space grey. Even the largest and top of the line will be far cheaper than Apple."

What's wrong with external drives? Many things:
a. I prefer to keep everything under the same disk, it's really a hassle to try to sort out tremendous amount of files and folders on different devices (this is just the way my brain works and is built, can't explain why) I need everything in my single Dropbox folder and on a single local SSD.
b. External drives could break (well before SSD, not so much now with SSDs I agree, that's why I kept using SanDisk dongles, but still it's a hassle to sync things with Dropbox when they are in different locations, so using a single local SSD sorts out everything, and brings latency and possible mechanical/USB failures to zero, and also I like it simple. In my experience, only simple things work in the long run. Having multiple locations didn't work well for me always)
c. Price? I don't care that external are cheaper. The data is so important to me that price is not a factor. And also the speed is simply the best with internal Apple SSDs, this alone justifies the price. Some librairies I have like Kontakt, Omnisphere, Falcon etc. don't work as fast with SanDisk drives (2'000mbps at best) than with the local SSD drive speed. That also has no price to me.

I still use SanDisk Pro v2 so trust me I know it's a viable option, but like I said having everything into a single local SSD is a real treat and this is the upgrade/move I'm making next.

3. ok noted regarding RAM. I can live with 96. 128 would be sweet though (future proofing here).

4. ok noted (yes Apple only has 5k for now but again future proofing here, so 8k support will be highly appreciated). Shame regarding lack of WiFi7 support but yeah that's probably not going to be rolled out in 2024 it so seems.

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Next year the rumors will be about the M4 and you will have to keep waiting.
I always wonder other than the super rich who buy everything, and the people whose stuff breaks or is too slow. doesn't this deter people from ever ordering if there is always something better on the horizon?

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
That is a personal problem some silly folks have. They need to realize tech constantly improves, duh.
My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box
You say you've had your desktop for over a week?
Throw that junk away, man, it's an antique
Your laptop is a month old? Well that's great
If you could use a nice, heavy paperweight

- "Weird Al" Yankovic

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.