Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Curious what in particular is putting you off Ventura, poor optimisation/ performance, or design e.g. the mess with System preferences/ settings? (this may be pertinent for me with the upcoming 15" Air, not that I'll have a choice of OS until version 14 arrives!)
Compatibility issues with some of my apps. For instance serato occasionally crashes. I’ve also been testing Ventura on an intel box and I’ve had several bugs such as crashes during wake from sleep and thunderbolt bus going down etc.

Reactions: Falhófnir

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Imo, you should only wait for a redesign.

The time to upgrade was with the launch with the M1 Pro and M1 Max 14" and 16" MBP and now it's waiting 5 years for the next redesign.
I disagree. Version 1 of new silicon is seldom ideal. M2 has tens of thousands of engineering hours spent refining M1. M2 now is the ideal time to upgrade, and I will.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
I find it odd that Apple is skipping 4nm chips for the M series, given the high cost of 3nm and the fact that they’re using 4nm on the A-series side.

MacHeritage

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
It’s scary when whatever you buy might be eclipsed in an another year. Get use to Apple releasing Mac products more often.
I remember in the 2000-2003 era when Apple would change models every 6 months or so! Including PowerBooks and PowerMacs. And some of those updates came out with completely new capabilities like DVD burning (free iDVD software included), ports, graphics or CPU architectures that changed things completely. It was exciting!

But I don't remember anyone complaining about the speed of updates or that what they had just purchased was no longer the latest and greatest.

koelsh

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2021
Have to say this clutters the news and is annoying to have rumors for the next product before the dust settles on today's new product. Would be nice if Kuo and gang could chill out and give a moratorium of a few months on this kind of information. Yes, yes, Kuo; Apple has the next several devices planned out no need to buzzkill

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
Folks like Kuo typically are intentionally leaked to by firms like Apple. Standard marketing to stimulate industry buzz and keep users expectations reasonably in line with what is coming.
But why bother doing that. Why not just do an interview with a magazine about what they’re working on if they wanted things to be leaked.

Reactions: phillytim

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I disagree. Version 1 of new silicon is seldom ideal. M2 has tens of thousands of engineering hours spent refining M1. M2 now is the ideal time to upgrade, and I will.
I don't think thats the case, for as many people used M1 family SoC's its been wonderful. The M2 family has some improvements if you get the M2 Pro 12/19 or the M2 Max 12/38. But given all the articles and owners responses Apple has a terrific platform to further improve upon, not that its version 1 was below expectations. Just know that next year you be impacted by similar thoughts with M3 models. :D

Reactions: Mr_Risin_Mojo

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Those were minor cpu updates that were PPC and Intel release cycle dependent. With 20% cpu performance updates every 15-18 months it’s acceptable. The rest of the hardware usually follows other industrial release, still waiting on a native true 4K MBP display. 4K-5K on 14” and 6K on 16” MBP.
There is literally no point to have those resolutions on those sized screens. The density of the pixels is what matters most for clarity and Apple is already there now. Adding more pixels needlessly will only cause more demand on your GPU, and waste more power/shorten battery life. It's literally not worth the tradeoff on a portable device.

Reactions: chucker23n1

lee647

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2022
I'll wait for the 3nm M3 max and keep my M1 Max ifor another year t's still really good
The M2 max isn't even really a big upgrade it's more of a S upgrade or a M1.5 max lol barely a upgrade
the intel 13th gen raptor lake to 12th gen alder lake is more of a upgrade than this M2 max chip

koelsh

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2021
But why bother doing that. Why not just do an interview with a magazine about what they’re working on if they wanted things to be leaked.
Generally they want it to be off the record so it's not a commitment and changes can be made more easily. Sometimes intentional leaks are to gauge community sentiment.

Consider AirPower and the issues created by announcing it before the underlying tech could be guaranteed.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
As much as I like to see tech evolve and improve it was only recently that Apple was telling us about the unbelievable power of M1. Are applications really evolving that quickly to need this sort of an increase every year? Apple made it sound like you were set with M1 for a long time to come, however here we are. I mean, apart from rendering videos faster (which is only of use to a small portion of users) what are these yearly updates really going to add to browsing the web, checking your mail, running office, and photo editing? These things barely change year on year.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
It’s scary when whatever you buy might be eclipsed in an another year. Get use to Apple releasing Mac products more often.

Considering it's Jan 2023 and you won't see these until the 4th quarter 2024 at the earliest, it's hardly a year.

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
Which 3nm? First gen or N3e?

It's good to have confirmation it's on 3nm though despite all the attempted hot take comments lol, with A16 being on 4nm (5nm++)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.