Kuo Again Predicts No 3D Touch for 2018 6.1-Inch LCD iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 26, 2018.

1. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68020

H3LL5P4WN

I imagine they would retain the dual lenses, but I meant anything new like say, a third camera.

2. Blade Runner 2049 Suspended

Blade Runner 2049

Why would Apple take out something it spent so much time developing software for?

3. outskirtsofinfinity macrumors regular

outskirtsofinfinity

Looks like he (finally) heard me, and decided to quit...

4. kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

I know this is a relatively old thread but I just thought of something - the whole-screen feature of the iPhone X is because of flexible OLED. LCD isn't flexible, so any iPhones with that won't be whole-screen and will necessitate at least a chin or forehead.

5. PickUrPoison macrumors 601

Probably doesn’t require that, since it’ll be the same size as the 8 Plus. People seem to manage.

Personally, I prefer the 4.7” model, since I carry my phone in my pocket.

6. PeterJay macrumors newbie

PeterJay

Nope. I call bullsh*t on this one. Hard to justify $1000 for a phone if it can be seen to compromise for a $3 saving.

More likely they are adding a feature, such as long-press, that replicates the 3D Touch on hardware that doesn’t have it, so support can be assumed by developers.

7. PickUrPoison, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018

PickUrPoison macrumors 601

Well the current price rumor is $600-700; I can’t imagine $600 when it’s a replacement for the $699/$799 iPhone 8/8 Plus. Personally I think $749 will be the price.

That said, it does seem a weird feature to use as a differentiator from the more expensive X models. OLED, RAM, camera, lens—sure... but 3D Touch? Who wants that so bad they’ll pay an extra $150?

But it is a new display, so it’s not like there wouldn’t be development costs. And there won’t have been hundreds of millions already manufactured to bring the cost to 4.7”/5.5” levels. So who knows, maybe they did just decide not to include it, from the start.

A lot of users don’t even seem to know it exists. And who can blame them? The UI for 3D Touch has always sucked, with no indication whatsoever where it’s usable. Violates a prime tenet of good UI. Requiring knowledge “in the head” vs. having that knowledge presented “in the world” is bad UI.

8. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Fine by me. I never use 3D Touch on my 7+.

9. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

I don’t think it’s a differentiator, it’s just something to omit to save money on components to allow them to price lower. It’s a shame because the 3D Touch and system haptics are one interesting area where Apple have been pioneering.

10. apolloa macrumors G4

Please note not a lot of people believe that they will drop 3D Touch from the 6.1” model including Mac Rumors. So don’t be surprised in he is wrong.

11. PickUrPoison macrumors 601

Well they’ll need to save on costs somewhere.

The iPhone 8 Plus is $799, with no FaceID and a smaller display. Margins would be lower for the 6.1” iPhone 9 Plus even at $749, let alone the $600-700 price being rumored by one source.

That Apple could add FaceID and a new, larger—and presumably more costly—display and simultaneously chop $200 off the selling price doesn’t seem realistic.