Kuo Again Predicts No 3D Touch for 2018 6.1-Inch LCD iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

From an evolutionary point of view, it'll be the guys in ball-crushing skinny jeans who are the dying breed.

2. ROGmaster Suspended

3. manu chao macrumors 603

3D Touch only shows the apps in the folder that have an unread notification (in the form of a list and not as a grid, with the app name larger and to the left of the item). In that sense it is less clutter as it might show only two or three instead of nine items and if you have more than nine apps in a folder, opening the folder in a normal fashion can only show you any notifications for the first nine items.
    There is no visual indication whether there is a 3D Touch action, which means you really have to learn it by heart. But on the iPhone X there are two actions probably everybody learns (because the icon only reacts to 3D Touch): the two icons on the lock screen for flashlight and camera. Control Center also has a few things with useful 3D Touch actions. The flashlight brightness can be adjusted with a 3D Touch on it. A timer can be started and its duration selected from within Control Center (ie, without switching to the clock app). The music/audio widget can be used to select an output source (eg, Bluetooth peripherals) directly from Control Center. And there is probably more with all the extra controls that can also be put into Control Center.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 27, 2018 ---
    That is Ming's interpretation of the information he has. His information might be incomplete or even incorrect as could be his interpretation.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 27, 2018 ---
    Yeah, there is no way to use an iPhone without 3D Touch and there is no way to switch it off. We are all forced to constantly use it. [/sarcasm]

4. vmistery macrumors 6502a

I wonder what the usage stats of 3D Touch actually are. I personally use it incredible rarely so I don’t think I’d miss it.

5. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

RIP 3D touch - we hardly knew ye. The only things I ever repeatedly used it for was moving the typing focus and peeking at which app in a group has notifications. Otherwise it was completely forgettable.

6. Ramchi macrumors 6502a

Ramchi

This intrusive and obstructive interface(blocking eye view, forcing multiple steps to accomplish similar tasks that can done without additional physical effects) probably not a great thing IMO. Probably not required at all considering other platforms choose not to adopt it heavily. Blackberry like jog dial(when touch interface was not very popular), backside sensors or on the sides (along the lines of Nexus fingerprint readers) for certain intuitive navigation would help, instead.

7. ksec macrumors 6502a

3D Touch create a problem for user, Long Press or Hard Press. And I don't remember anyone actually uses 3D Touch apart from typing and selecting. And I don't think I would miss it much if at all. ( I have a iPhone 5s and seems doing fine without one )

Still not understanding how 6.1" Size works.

8. decafjava macrumors 68040

decafjava

Ok for the last time, there are a bunch of posters who write they do use it for more than typing! Does no one read other posts?

9. Sajal, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018

Sajal macrumors regular

Well, another user here who have gotten accustomed to 3d touch quite a bit.

* Love the quick dial/messaging
    * Love the touchpad
    * Love the quick preview integration in Notifications/photos/safari etc...
    * Love the unique ways of integration of 3D touch by several Apps
    ** nPlayer/Drafts/pcalc/Amazon music etc..
    I know there is a learning curve, but its always worth it for the apps I use regularly.

Having said this, I do believe 3D touch will stay, unless Apple figures a better way to create a frictionless secondary touch option, maybe that will be even better who knows.

Also for the people who rarely use 3D touch, its understandable, I have seen some people not to have touchid setup.

10. alexgowers macrumors 65816

3D Touch is about as useful as 3D movies. Some will swear they watch them all the time and is important to their choice. But if apple doesn't offer it NO ONE ELSE DOES EITHER!! So you have to Still buy the iPhone even if they remove it.

I feel like 3D Touch has held apple back way more than if they'd ditched it. All OS functions can be replaced by a long press or by changing to context menus, android has suffered not a single lost sale due to 3D Touch.

11. oyabroch! Suspended

"6.1-Inch" ?

6.1" !

Where do you hire your editorial staff; kindergarten?

12. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

The quick cursor action actually can be/has been implemented as two fingers on the keyboard. That was available in one of the iOS betas, worked great, but then Apple realized it would take away a major selling point of Touch 3D, so they never released a general update with it.

But you missed one place where it's used where it does something that can't be replicated through touch and hold. App shortcuts on the homescreen. A press and hold activates edit mode for the touch screen, where you can rearrange and delete apps. Only 3D touch activates opening the shortcut menu on the touchscreen.

13. yoz-y macrumors member

yoz-y

I really hope this is not true and would bet against it.

My thumb does not bifurcate at the end so using two fingers on a phone is useless for me.

14. GrumpyMom macrumors G3

GrumpyMom

I was also concerned about the rumored new LCD model having a lower pixel per inch spec than the current 8+.

I decided to invest in what I know I already like and went ahead and got both a silver and a product RED 8+, the silver discounted significantly via trade in of a 7+. Lol, the two of them together, thanks to trade in discounts, came out close to the price we paid for an iPhone X with Apple Care Plus. (I returned that X).

The 8 Plus is a final refinement of a form factor that has served me well. I decided I’d rather settle down with the best representation of the past and present than a possibly mediocre presentation of the future. By that, I mean I am concerned that Apple will take what could potentially be a fabulous phone and seriously gimp the specs and features in order to wedge it into a lower price tier relative to the rumored iPhone X Plus.

My concerns could be for nothing. The new LCD iPhone could possibly completely outclass the 8 Plus in every measure. It’s a gamble.

But I don’t feel I have anything to lose because the 8 Plus is such a good phone. I love it enough I’d be happy to spend the next couple of years on it. And because it’s got a familiar form factor and user interface it will be easy to pass along to other family members when I want to upgrade down the road. It was the right choice for me regardless of the rumors.

It’s hard to tell what the reality is. We are on a rumor site discussing rumors, after all. It’s going to be fun and exciting seeing which rumors solidify into actual leaks.

15. 78Bandit macrumors 6502a

78Bandit

I don't hate 3D touch, but I don't use it either. As far as my consumer purchasing decisions go, the lack of 3D touch isn't going to dissuade me from the lower cost LCD model if they can keep the price $699 or under. A single lens camera will be fine with me too. What I do want is RAM and processing power so I can be sure the phone is functional for a four-to-five year period.

Maybe Apple is realizing packing their devices full of relatively expensive components that small subsets of consumers regularly use is limiting growth. There are going to be a lot of consumers who want "good enough" and it sounds like this device is going to fit the bill. There is a large market in the approximately $500-$600 price range that Apple has only filled with year-old devices.

16. mazz0 macrumors 68000

mazz0

What do you use it for? I’m one of those who only uses it for cursor movement.

17. GrumpyMom macrumors G3

GrumpyMom

I think I actually use 3-D touch more than I consciously realize. I suspect that’s true judging from how often I find myself jamming my finger down on my ipad display waiting for good things to happen. :rolleyes: (I also use Android phones but somehow manage to avoid doing the same to them).

My issue with 3-D touch is that it was never consistently implemented across all of Apple’s products. So I use it a lot less than I otherwise might have. They kind of bypassed a window of opportunity to stuff it into their entire tablet and phone lineup. I won’t count the SE because that was always meant to be a bare bones budget phone.

18. murdoc2k macrumors member

I see where you are coming from, but this is exactly what happened with the Apple watch. The apple watch series 2 was a wifi capable watch with ceramic back (even for their low end sport edition). Then Apple watch 3 appears and all of a sudden you need to move up to the LTE tier before you get the same ceramic back.

19. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

I would miss 3D Touch big time. I use it on my 7 Plus all the time. Emails, messages, websites, and of course, track pad. When I use my iPP I immediately miss the flexibility of it. I can’t imagine they spent all of that R&D on it and would simply scrap it, unless they had a comparable but better alternative.

20. MacLoveMacHate macrumors regular

MacLoveMacHate

While I've made decent use of 3D touch, I doubt anyone looking to save money on a "cheaper" version of the phone will miss it. Hopefully this is a win for the consumer.

21. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I guess pinch to zoom and all the other two finger gestures are also useless for you, then.

I won't deny that 3D touch turns this into a single finger gesture which is somewhat more convenient, but if you compare how difficult it is to precisely position the cursor without any extra gesture vs this two finger gesture, I'd definitely take the two finger one - it was quite far from useless.

22. Dan Holmstock macrumors member

Dan Holmstock

i guess i was not using 3d touch as intended, i found it a bit gimmicky. For example when clicking on imessage, and then selecting one of the recent 3 to text it was not much faster at all vs opening the app and selecting that same chat. Same with camera to some extent. Oh well never did really use it on my iphone 7 and my returned iphone 8.

23. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

I did actually take a look and find that option and shut it off. I was very grateful for that. Like most, I am not familiar with every single setting on an iPhone.

24. bigboyz12000 macrumors regular

bigboyz12000

Agreed. Personally, if they are going to make a "cheaper" 6.1TFT-LCD then do just that! Use cheaper hardware don't take away from the iOS experience and leave out capabilities for a phone coming out in 2018. Save that for the SE model if you make one thank you Apple that is all for now :]

25. robjulo macrumors 65816