Kuo Again Predicts No 3D Touch for 2018 6.1-Inch LCD iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 26, 2018.

1. The Carny macrumors newbie

If Apple plans to get rid of 3D Touch, they’re not going to leave it in the premium devices this year. That is entirely illogical - it might eventually be replaced with a different system that replicates and expands upon its functionality, but it’s not going to be left out of the low(er)/mid range iPhones & retained in the premium tier only to be excised completely a year later.

2. deffcap macrumors member

deffcap

How will I remove all my notifications in one go? o_O

3. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

I love that picture how the 6.1 gets the ****** wallpaper just because it’s an LCD.

4. strategicthinke Suspended

strategicthinke

Quoting GrumpyMom, I use it more than I realize. 3D Touch is something that can be ignored until you find a very useful shortcut _for you_. From that point onwards you’re almost dependent on it. Lol.

5. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Me too. As a guitarist who plays a lot my calluses on my fingers change from day to day and week to week. I never could get touchid to work effectively due to this. Faceid on the X already works 100 times better for my purposes.

6. decafjava macrumors 68040

decafjava

3d Touch not Touch ID two different things. You're not the first person to mention skin issues interfering with Touch ID however.

7. Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

3D Touch is probably one of the most under-used features on iPhones. A lot of people don't even really know it's there. Won't be missed much, IMO.

8. MKevin3 macrumors newbie

MKevin3

Remember when you used to get a manual with software? Now you have to discover features by yourself. Can I swipe here, long press this, 3D touch that. 3D touch has a discoverability issue. Its uses could be really cool but since users don't discover it very easily developers don't spend the time writing and testing for it. Add to that not every phone has it, even if it is a new phone, and you have a second developer issue - what to do if it is not there? That means you code a feature with multiple access points which can be a hassle.

Since Apple did not make 3D touch a given on every new iPhone sold past X date developers took the "meh" approach to implementing it. Made for a cool keynote demo, lost it on discoverability and practicality.

9. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I completely understand your issues with Touch ID.

But I was referring to 3D Touch.

As for Touch ID, I really like it, although I have not tried Face ID yet.

Actually, one of the only things I miss when going from a 6s Plus to the SE, was the newer Touch ID2, as the SE only has he original Touch ID1.

It was very noticeable going to the original, as it was slower and less accurate.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 27, 2018 ---
    Nice post.

I think Apple's software across the board has become a lot more complex, and not nearly as intuitive as it once was.

Not too long ago, Apple's software was very intuitive, and at least for me, it was easy enough to use that I hardly ever had to look up a "how to" to do basic everyday things.

Something happened about 5ish years ago. I started having to look up "how to"s for basic things. It seems like every time I want to change a setting now, I have to look up where to go to change it.

I would like to think that maybe this is a temporary slump that Apple is in, and their user experience will be their focus again in the future, but I am skeptical.

10. spiddyman007 macrumors regular

spiddyman007

So it’s gonna be the iPhone X c
    Like the 5c before it

11. nycxaxez macrumors member

I've always wondered whether my X had some sort of hardware problem. 3D Touch has been nowhere near as reliable for me, when compared to the previous iPhones I've had. You are right - I've sat there and adjusted the sensitivity and there is seemingly no difference on the X, when there was a clear difference on pre-X iPhones. I use 3D Touch frequently, especially on the home screen. There have been many instances where I attempt to use 3D Touch on the home screen and it seems to not register, and eventually leads to the icons wiggling, as I held it for too long and it initiated the "delete/move app" function. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's had a similar problem! Still hope Apple doesn't get rid of 3D Touch - I still use it often.

12. KAZphoto macrumors member

KAZphoto

Anybody not using 3D Touch on the keyboard when they need to move their cursor around isn’t living life to the fullest!

13. ch1ptune macrumors newbie

Me too. Would hate to see it go!

14. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

If they are truly trying to make 3-D touch a necessary part of iOS, it needs to be on all models. Personally, I do like 3-D touch and I wouldn't buy an iPhone without it.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 28, 2018 ---
    Best feature, whether you're being sarcastic or not

15. Ed217 macrumors 6502

16. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

The 3D Touch and haptic features are actually one of the few things I really like from recent iPhone releases - one of the things I would really miss moving to another platform. In places it’s a bit gimmicky but overall it’s an interesting tech that adds a layer of enjoyment to using the phone.

17. Apple66 macrumors newbie

Apple66

Personally 3D Touch is quite similar to the long press. But what I really like from the newer iPhones is indeed the haptic feature, making the user experience of touching the glass less "stiff" if that makes sense.

While the newer models are great, I really miss the cinematic video stabilization which I recently found out is limited to 1080p, where videos were incredibly smooth and fluid. No wonder people have quality issues with their 4K videos captured on their iPhones. Probably due to lots of processing during the recording and taking huge amount of resources I am guessing. As a film and video creator this would be nice to have if Apple does indeed provide this upgrade to future iPhones. Here is something I put together (filmed mostly on iPhone and iPad).

But did have to use FCP to constantly tweak the stabilization footage. Would save huge amount of production time, if Apple implemented cinematic stabilization in their highest quality setting.

18. KAZphoto macrumors member

KAZphoto

Absolutely not! :) It’s probably seriously one of the greatest features to come to the iPhone in the past few years, imo.

19. nviz22 macrumors 603

nviz22

I read somewhere Apple canceled its iPhone X part orders. Rumors are all over the place and idk what to believe.

20. Macintoshrumors macrumors 6502

Macintoshrumors

Apple knows exactly what they are doing, I doubt this rumor will be true. After all it’s rumor season. Don’t be so gullible

21. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

If Apple can manage to make the 6,1-inch phone at the 799 price point I will definitely upgrade from the old iPhone 6 form factor. I've always liked the X but at 1099 I could never justify it.

22. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

OMG $3 increase on a $1000 device. We can't afford that! It's not like we are the richest company in the world!

... oh wait ...

23. Ramchi macrumors 6502a

Ramchi

It is not just the cost structure of the components, assembly, software implementation etc.....it is to differentiate features between two segments. More like a mind game played onothe consumers by the marketing teams in choosing one model vs the other!

24. jamezr macrumors G5

jamezr

3DT was usefull for thing like emails and text messages on the notification screen. But useless for things like the music app. Long press on the music app and it should let you see all of your playlists. Instead I get a Beats 1 music option that I will never use.
    3DT was never really extended with useful features across all apps....not even the default apps.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 30, 2018 ---
    its fragmentation......