Kuo: All iPhone Models in 2018 Likely to Abandon Fingerprint Recognition

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

All of the iPhones Apple plans to produce in 2018 are likely to abandon the Touch ID fingerprint sensor in favor of facial recognition, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo told investors in a note sent out this evening.

According to Kuo, Apple will embrace Face ID as its authentication method for a competitive advantage over Android smartphones. Kuo has previously said that it could take years for Android smartphone manufacturers to produce technology that can match the TrueDepth camera and the Face ID feature coming in the iPhone X.

[​IMG]
    Face ID, says Kuo, will continue to be a major selling point of the new iPhone models in 2018, with Apple planning to capitalize on its lead in 3D sensing design and production.

Kuo's prediction suggests that all upcoming 2018 iPhones will feature a full-screen design with minimal bezels like the iPhone X, meaning no additional models with the iPhone 8/iPhone 8 Plus design would be produced.

That would spell the end of the line for Touch ID in the iPhone, which has been available as a biometric authentication option since 2013. It's not clear what that means for the Mac and the iPad, but Kuo has said he expects next year's iPad Pro models to transition to Face ID.

Should Apple decide to abandon Touch ID, it also means development would potentially end on a rumored under-display Touch ID solution.

Back in September, Kuo predicted 2018 iPhones would fully adopt the TrueDepth camera and facial recognition if Face ID was "well received" by customers, but further research conducted by KGI Securities has led him to believe it will indeed be successful, leading to today's more definitive prediction.

Kuo believes that Apple's transition away from Touch ID will also turn Android smartphone manufacturers away from fingerprint recognition. As he said in an earlier note, he expects high-end Android smartphones to "ditch" under-display optical fingerprint recognition in favor of 3D sensing techniques.

Despite Kuo's prediction, Apple software engineering chief Craig Federighi recently hinted that Apple may not be ready to abandon Touch ID across all its products just yet. While he said Face ID is the future of biometric authentication, he also noted that there are settings where different biometric techniques or combinations of biometrics could make sense.

Article Link: Kuo: All iPhone Models in 2018 Likely to Abandon Fingerprint Recognition

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

samsung scratching their plans to put a fingerprint under the screen now.

3. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

4. MrGuder macrumors 68020

5. deanthedev macrumors 6502

deanthedev

Of course. Apple has made it clear this is the way forward. Why would anyone doubt them?

6. serialiphoneuser, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017

serialiphoneuser macrumors regular

No Thanx! I will NEVER buy a Face-ID device.
    Don't shoe-horn things into consumers faces that they've never asked for and don't take away things they care deeply about. Enjoy the free-slide in sales. It may not be immediate, but it will be profound.

[​IMG]

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

8. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

Or trying to improve their iris scanner and or facial rec technology. Probably gonna ask MS for some help.

9. Nimoy macrumors member

Nimoy

This IS good news. It shows how confident Apple is in the technology. I really think we have nothing to worry about with FaceID. This tech is no gimmick!

10. nfl46 macrumors 603

I'm done with Apple. I'm moving to Samsung. At least they have a headphone jack and fingerprint scanner

/s

11. can$rules macrumors member

Faceid doesn't solve any problems for the user. Apple will surely get it to work eventually but it will not be a big selling point over systems based on fingerprint recognition.

12. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

GOOD. Face ID is the future. I don't expect to see iPhones with 3.5 inch floppy drives either.

13. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

maybe the people who have been able to use iPhone X since the announcement have given a resounding 'yes, it's great.. better than touchID '..

i mean, if this rumor is true, there's no way Apple would do it on a hunch.. they know it's better.

14. staggerlee41 macrumors regular

staggerlee41

I get it that Face ID Is the future and it will be featured on more and more Apple products going forward, but I can't imagine that they'd completely abandon TID in some of their phone lineup when it's proven technology that is likely a cash cow by comparison to Face ID. I mean they've got an SE, 6, and 7 series along with the 8 and X. Then again I couldn't imagine the "courage" it took to abandon a 3.5mm phone jack either.

As long as the prices come down for the X and the technology is good, I have no issue with it. It's progress. For now, I'm loving my 8+ with "old school" technology of TID.

15. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Couple thoughts:

1) Apple must be very confident in this feature. This could be very damaging if this doesn't catch on.

2) Apple has done this in the past. Removed the floppy disk, removed the CD drive, removed the 3.5mm jack, etc. Some of those have seen history prove Apple was right. Some Apple is still trying to prove was the right move. Touch ID will definitely be added to that list, time will tell which way it is viewed.

16. GuitarMan0121 macrumors newbie

GuitarMan0121

Half the time I unlock my phone before it's even pointed at my face. This just feels like an inconvenient compromise for not having a good place for a fingerprint scanner.

17. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Touch ID was one of your favorite features

18. Oridus macrumors 6502a

That's what they said about TouchID o_O

19. deanthedev macrumors 6502

deanthedev

I think they’ve done a lot more testing than that. Likely with internal users for over a year. I don’t see them introducing something this radical without having gone through all possible use cases, and deciding it’s better overall than TouchID.

20. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Hoping this isn’t true. Not a fan of face ID at all.

21. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

You joke, but in the unlikely event that Face ID doesn't catch on AND Samsung can pull off under the screen FPS, it could be a massive turning point.

22. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

That’s what doesn’t make sense to me.

The SE is a huge seller in so-called emerging markets, like South Asia and Africa.

Are they going to move the SE replacement to Face ID, or keep the current SE as is for several more years? There are big downsides to either. If they do the former, that’ll make it more expensive to produce, and likely have the same lower yields we’re seeing reported. With the latter, the phone will fall further and further behind current tech.

I’m very interested to see how this resolves.

23. zhandri macrumors 6502

24. Cosmosent macrumors regular

Cosmosent

Looks like my iPhone 7 Plus will be the LAST iPhone I ever buy.

25. serialiphoneuser macrumors regular

Face-ID is obnoxious and always gets in your face. Touch-ID never got in the way of using the iPhone and is very passive.