Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's long-rumored augmented reality (AR) headset project is set to bear its first fruit late next year with the launch of the first device carrying a pair of processors to support its high-end capabilities, according to a new research report from noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo seen by MacRumors.

apple-mixed-reality-headset-mockup-feature-purple.jpg

According to Kuo, the higher-end main processor is said to be similar to the M1 chip Apple introduced for its first set of Apple silicon Macs last year, while a lower-end processor will manage the sensor-related aspects of the device.

Kuo says the initial AR headset will be able to operate independently without needing to be tethered to a Mac or iPhone, and Apple is intending it to support a "comprehensive range of applications" with an eye toward replacing the iPhone within ten years.
We predict that Apple's AR headset to be launched in 4Q22 will be equipped with two processors. The higher-end processor will have similar computing power as the M1 for Mac, whereas the lower-end processor will be in charge of sensor-related computing.

The power management unit (PMU) design of the high-end processor is similar to that of M1 because it has the same level of computing power as M1.
In addition to AR, Kuo says the headset will also be able to support virtual reality (VR) experiences thanks to a pair of 4K Micro OLED displays from Sony, which require the computing horsepower of an M1-like chip.
Apple’s AR headset requires a separate processor as the computing power of the sensor is significantly higher than that of the iPhone. For example, the AR headset requires at least 6-8 optical modules to simultaneously provide continuous video see-through AR services to users. In comparison, an iPhone requires up to 3 optical modules running simultaneously and does not require continuous computing.
Last week, Kuo said that both the upcoming headset and the iPhone 14 coming next year will support Wi-Fi 6E technology, which offers the increased bandwidth and lower interference needed for AR and VR experiences.

Article Link: Kuo: Apple AR Headset Coming in Late 2022 With Mac-Level Computing Power

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I'm pretty sure it can be used with Apple fitness.
I really doubt these are going to be a fitness-first product. If they make them out of aluminium they're going to weigh a ton (relative to other headsets), and the price is going to be off the charts.

The "replacing the iPhone within ten years" bit also has me skeptical. Every few years a tech company tried to get people to wear a computer on their face and none have succeeded. This is such a big ask for mainstream users, even if they end up getting them into a glasses-style form-factor.

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I really doubt these are going to be a fitness-first product. If they make them out of aluminium they're going to weigh a ton (relative to other headsets), and the price is going to be off the charts.

The "replacing the iPhone within ten years" bit also has me skeptical. Every few years a tech company tried to get people to wear a computer on their face and none have succeeded. This is such a big ask for mainstream users, even if they end up getting them into a glasses-style form-factor.

Ya, forcing you to wear headphones or always take calls on speakerphone seems like a big obstacle to iPhone replacement. Not to mention a lot of people don't enjoy wearing glasses (I have contacts for a reason).

Decades from now when we have AR contacts maybe I'll consider it.

Reactions: Cam Elppa

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
Wow. everything running on just 1 chip. The M1.
Macs
iPhones
iPads
VR Headset. 3nm ?
possibly HomePod 3nm?
Maybe future watch 3nm ?
Apple TV 3nm?

You did it Tim Cook. you simplified the manufacturing.

Now I wander if Everything is going IOS in the future ?

Makes Sense.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Wow. everything running on just 1 chip. The M1.
Macs
iPhones
iPads
VR Headset. 3nm ?
possibly HomePod 3nm?
Maybe future watch 3nm ?
Apple TV 3nm?

You did it Tim Cook. you simplified the manufacturing.

Now I wander if Everything is going IOS in the future ?

Makes Sense.

Well, it's not IOS, it's iOS. That small `i` matters. Details matter. And no, Apple has clearly stated that they are maintaining multiple OS's because each specializes. Having one try to do everything is a mess waiting to happen.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
What what? Interference is when signals interfere with each other. Apparently WiFi 6 offers lower interference levels, possibly because it uses frequencies not frequently used by other devices. See what I did there? 😄

That’s not how the english language works. WiFi may be less likely to be subject to interference. It may be less sensitive to noise and interference. But it doesn’t “offer less interference.” That would imply it “causes less interference,” which is not true.

Moreover, it operates on the same frequencies as every other recent version of wifi - 2.4GHz and 5GHz, plus a new frequency, 6GHz, which, because of its short wavelength, is much easier to block.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
I think the use case will be so compelling within 10 years that it will be worth wearing the device on your face instead of holding in your pocket. The iPhone will start to feel like ancient technology, being blind to a tiny display in your hand, while an AR Glass type device is immersive and offers a lot more depth.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
I'll be surprised and disappointed it Apple's headset isn't significantly lighter and more comfortable than today's average VR headset.
Fitness is an early strength of VR.
I can see it replacing laptops and desktops for many users within ten years, but I don't see it replacing phones.
VR can provide a multi-monitor and/or movie theater experience anywhere, with about the same portability as a MacBook (though you may still want to carry a keyboard as well).

I don't see VR/AR getting to the point where there are a lot of people who use it instead of a smartphone, especially not in the next decade. I wouldn't want cameras always facing me in social situations. I also don't see the quality being as good as an iPhone while being almost as compact as a pair of sunglasses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.