Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will launch a foldable iPad with a carbon fiber kickstand sometime next year, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

In a series of tweets, Kuo said he expects an "all-new design foldable iPad" to be the next big product launch in the iPad lineup, with no other major iPad releases in the next nine to 12 months. The analyst said he was "positive" that the foldable device would arrive in 2024, but did not provide a more specific timeframe.

The analyst's latest survey indicates that a carbon fiber material will be used for the iPad's kickstand to make it light and durable. Chinese polishing and bonding supplier Anjie Technology will reportedly be the new beneficiary of the foldable iPad.

Based on Apple's iPad plans, Kuo said he was taking a "cautious approach" to iPad shipments for 2023, predicting a year-on-year decline of around 10-15 percent. However, he expects the 2024 foldable model to "boost shipments and improve the product mix."

This isn't the first time we have heard rumors of Apple planning to launch a foldable iPad. An October 2022 report from analysts at CCS Insight claimed Apple plans to use a foldable ‌iPad‌ in 2024 as a practice run for foldable technology before adopting it on the ‌iPhone‌.

Apple is testing a foldable ‌iPad‌ display that's around 20-inches in size, according to reliable display analyst Ross Young, however Young expects the device to hit the market a lot later in 2026 or 2027.

Apple is said to be working with LG to create an ultra-thin cover glass that could be used on the company's foldable products, although it's not clear whether the material would be used in an iPhone or iPad.

Update: Since Kuo made his prediction, Ross Young has said that he is expecting multiple OLED iPads in 2024, but he has heard nothing about a foldable iPad in the same year.

Update 2: Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has also weighed in on Kuo's prediction, saying he has not heard anything about a foldable iPad in 2024, which he expects to be a year of OLED iPad Pro models and spec bumps for the entry-level iPad and iPad mini.

Article Link: Kuo: Apple to Release Foldable iPad With Carbon Fiber Kickstand in 2024

Last edited:
Reactions: bobcomer

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
What is the allure of a folding iPad? I’m just not seeing a need for it. I would much rather see a 2 lb laptop.
While some of us (mainly beyond 30’s) use iPad only to entertain kids, there is a whole new generation of young's that uses iPad very skilled, the workflow is far more limited but the tools exceed computers in some tasks, as templates and easy to do stuff is already half baked in mobile OS’s. And you dont have to be tied to a chair in that room of your home.

So light homework and on the go work is just enough and better than in laptops. (Though eventually, all need a laptop soon or later, the same why many mac users would need a windows computer some time ago for some random tasks)

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
This makes complete sense if you can use it as an iPhone. It wouldn’t surprise me, though, if Apple actually expected you to buy an iPhone, and this thing, and then put one in each pocket and walk around that way.

Assuming it’s a do everything device, it’s the one I’ve been waiting for (and a lot of people I am sure). If not, I don’t know what they’re thinking.

ggx12

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2021
Can't innovate anymore... my ass !

I've never really been interested in the foldable mania with phones because I think part of the appeal is that the format is slim and readily usable (I don't want to unfold my phone everytime I use it). However I think the technology makes perfect sense for the ipad.

When unfolded, you have a giant screen for content consumption or a great digital canvas for your pencil.
when folded, you can use part of the screen to display information and the other part of the screen to give input (digital keyboard, digital trackpad, canvas, whatever you want it to be)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Im curious on the foldable size if it will be the 20 inch which ross young highlighted below. Hard to imagine this is the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.