Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It may take several years for the Vision Pro headset to receive major hardware upgrades, according to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Apple-Vision-Pro-at-Steve-Jobs-Theater.jpeg

"It is currently estimated that new models with significant changes to the Vision Pro specification may not be in mass production until 2027," Kuo said today.

Based on his latest supply chain checks, Kuo believes Apple has not started working on a second-generation Vision Pro, or a lower-priced version of the headset with reduced specs. However, research and development could be underway.

Kuo does expect a modified Vision Pro to enter mass production in late 2025 to early 2026, but he said Apple is focused on improving costs and production, leading him to believe that the "user experience will not differ from the current model." It is possible these changes might not even be announced to the public, beyond a potential price cut.

Kuo expects Apple to release the Vision Pro in additional countries before WWDC in June. The headset launched in the U.S. earlier this month.

Article Link: Kuo: Apple Vision Pro Unlikely to Receive Major Upgrades Until 2027

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
The big problem is attracting third party developers. The use cases for a "killer app" are so far downstream because the tech itself is simply not where it needs to be for developers to move resources from iPhone to AVP, so they would have to hire more developers which doesn't make sense as long as iPhone sales remain relatively flat (as they have now for seven years).

No developers, no apps. No apps, no users.

Beautyspin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2012
Maybe they are clueless as to what to do next and waiting for inspiration (Samsung could help them here, I guess, by developing something similar and Apple can make it better. Now that Apple has to do all the heavy lifting, it is not able to)

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I can see how having a stable platform that devs can target toward for a few years makes sense for such a nascent market. No one wants an Apple Watch 'Series 0' scenario on a $3500 device. Also lets Apple bring down the BOM over the next few years too, especially for the displays.

I'm sure sad that we wont be heading toward a BigScreen Beyond sized device any time soon though.

Maybe Tim should label it a hobby like the Apple TV :cool:

epox999

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
This doesn't sound like they have much confidence in the product in the short term, the Iphone got 4 models in the first 3 years on the market. Curious what the sales numbers on the AVP are. This and money thrown away on the "Car" project could have been invested on core products and services.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
The AVP is going to wither on the vine, like AirPods Max and HomePods have largely done.
I suspect AVP gets killed at some point before 2027 depending upon what happens (or not) with 3rd party devs.

It's a platform. That needs developers.

Developers are going to have a hard time justifying developing for a platform with a tiny install base.

As usual, Apple's arrogance here is part of the problem. They should have seeded the Dev community FAR and WIDE with AVP dev kits a long long time ago. Where AVP is right now is solely their own fault.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Based on his latest supply chain checks, Kuo believes Apple has not started working on a second-generation Vision Pro, or a lower-priced version of the headset with reduced specs.
So no M3 MacBook Pro Vision Pro with 8GB memory (instead of 16GB) any time soon? Darn.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Hardly rumor worthy. The jury is still out on whether the AVP will be a success or not. No point in pouring billions into R&D of a device that's a dud *cough* Pippin *cough*.

It's to early to tell if it's the next iMac or Newton. If it's not a commercial success, I see it gaining Cube status, with a small die hard and rabid fanbase. I still think the Cube was the best pre-OSX Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.