Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
iPhone 8 looks absolutely backward compared to the X, I don't know who would buy an 8 if they already have a 6 or 7. I'm sticking with my 6 Plus, does everything I want and more. The iPhone X is pretty, but Samsung's curved OLED smartphones look much, much better and fulfill the "edge to edge" promise. Apple's OLED implementation in the X is kind of sad, like they lacked the engineering and design resources to give us a true edge-to-edge display.

The fact that the iPhone 8 is not sold out speaks volumes.

Again, what is so terrible about the 8?

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
It just means people will buy anything Apple puts out. Both 8 and the X are extremely minor updates, same for AW. Next year you'll see the new form factored AW, larger X screen.. those are reasons enough to actually update.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Kuo is great for some leaked information, but all too often information is obvious. That said, we can’t really glean too much information regarding sales by Apple’s store availability, as we don’t know what causes it outside of speculation.
Isn't the idea of speculation to manipulate the stock price. This is exactly what he is doing here. Plant the seed that demand is down to lower the quarter and buy cheap.

Reactions: 840quadra

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
many models of the iPhone 8 and the iPhone 8 Plus were available for launch day delivery through the weekend, and continue to remain readily available for launch day pickup in Apple retail stores.

None available for in-store pickup in the Twin Cities, it isn't even an option to look into as of sometime between 11 PM last night (when almost all models were available for in store pickup Friday at all locations) and 6:00 AM this morning when they were all sold out (apparently).

Does anyone know if there will be launch day in store stock reserves?

I hope so. Gonna keep checking to see if in store pickup becomes an option again before Friday.

Reactions: Admiral Ashik

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
There's not one feature on any of the 8's that I find useful.

Goofy masks and childish emoji offerings? What is there that will improve my productivity and user experience?

Haven't upgraded since acquiring my 6S+...and see no reason to. Runs iOS 11 flawlessly.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Great news for Apple - they'll have huge demand for a product they're unable to deliver in sufficient quantities and huge supply for a product for which there is a lack of demand. That Tim guy sure knows logistics.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Regarding the Apple Watch LTE vs wifi-only breakdown, I think there's an obvious explanation: Other than LTE, what is new about the third generation Apple Watch? I may have missed it, but it seems to me that basically nothing changed other than it gaining an LTE option.

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
I would not mind to try wireless charging. There is no point to upgrade to Iphone 8 because next year iphone Xe is coming out.

Attachments

• Iphone XE.jpg
    Iphone XE.jpg
    627.3 KB · Views: 398

blcamp

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There will be cannibalization... but by which model? Seems to me most customers are taking a wait-and-see approach to this... waiting to see whether the X will live up to the hype. If it doesn't, then they can opt for the 7s, er, 8, instead.

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
I just posted this earlier, but the X is making the home button look old school lol

You say old school, I say the X is raping the iPhone of its identity.

It looks like nothing more than a very shiny Android flagship running iOS.

Implementing the home button into the display would have retained the products identity (the home button was synonymous with the product, like it or not).

What do we have now? A floating line to swipe up to go home? Utterly removing the UX design and DNA of the product.

Cook stood in "Steve Jobs Theatre" and used the tenth anniversary to launch the CookPhone. That thing, to me, is not an iPhone. It doesn't look like one or operate like one.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Regarding the Apple Watch LTE vs wifi-only breakdown, I think there's an obvious explanation: Other than LTE, what is new about the third generation Apple Watch? I may have missed it, but it seems to me that basically nothing changed other than it gaining an LTE option.

Apple Watch Series 3 is more of a lateral grade versus upgrade. Aside from LTE, it has audible feedback from Siri, W-2 Chip, speed enhancements and new casing options. I wouldn't see compelling enough reason from the S eries 2 owners upgrade to the Series 3 Apple Watch, unless somebody strictly wanted LTE.

Reactions: User 6502

alphaswift

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
You people are crazy with your Watch LTE demand.

You're basically saying "I want to give my carrier $10/month in perpetuity to NOT carry my phone, which I already carry with me all the time anyway." Just get the WiFi version and answer calls without taking your phone out of your pocket.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
That's not surprising is it..I really can't understand why a person would be paying so much and get the boring model,knowingly..

The X will literally cannibalise both 8 /8 Plus as soon as it's released.
If 8/8 Plus were low priced budget models,(like SE or C) maybe..but having a "premium flagshit" and another "more premium ,more flagship" is so bizarre.

It's a weird choice by Apple,maybe they were not fully confident in iPhone X (price,face ID,no home button,single size) and that's why they also released 8/8 Plus as a backup in case X wasn't a success.

I really don't buy the anniversary edition explanation.

I mean what are they going to do next? continue from X or release 2 varieties again?

Reactions: GoldenJoe

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I get three vibes:

1) I want to just leave my huge iPhone at home and use the Apple Watch with LTE. Thanks Apple for selling me that iPhone killer that is much cheaper than buying a brand new iPhone.

2) Waiting for iPhone X.

3) Phones are not good enough. Staying with my iPhone 6, 6S, 7, SE.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Apple Watch Series 3 is more of a lateral grade versus upgrade. Aside from LTE, it has audible feedback from Siri, W-2 Chip, speed enhancements and new casing options. I wouldn't see compelling enough reason from the S eries 2 owners upgrade to the Series 3 Apple Watch, unless somebody strictly wanted LTE.

Don't forget wireless charging.

Reactions: Admiral Ashik

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You people are crazy with your Watch LTE demand.

You're basically saying "I want to give my carrier $10/month in perpetuity to NOT carry my phone, which I already carry with me all the time anyway." Just get the WiFi version and answer calls without taking your phone out of your pocket.

But you're not considering the other benefits of the LTE Apple Watch. You still have the freedom of those who are runners. The Apple Watch can stream your music directly from the Apple Watch to their AirPods. That alone is a fairly compelling feature if somebody wanted it. It's not about answering phone calls, as much as it is notifications and having the freedom of not having your iPhone tethered to you at the gym or when running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.