Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
My first reaction is: This doesn't belong to Apple, because Apple is about simple design, and wearing that is anything but simple. But I was thinking about Jobs-era Apple. However, for the modern Apple, it makes a lot of sense: if people shouldn't be in control of the OS version in their devices, nor in control of their cars... why should they use their eyes, to begin with? It's a sort of involution, a path to dehumanize people by negating both what be do naturally (use our eyes) and what be learnt to do (drive cars).
We're talking about the same Steve Jobs, correct?
And for the record, back in 2001, people were convinced that an Apple MP3 player was the most ridiculous product ever.
Steve Jobs would never do that.
and yet, he did.
Same with the iPhone, iPad, and later the Apple Watch.
"That's just not Apple."
Meanwhile, the iPod, iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch turned Apple from just a computer company into the biggest consumer electronics/services companies in the world.
Obviously these glasses might be a failure, but history doesn't point to that.

Reactions: 4nNtt and SFjohn

unashamedgeek

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Everyone talks about this for gaming and I'm hoping something like this could one day be lightweight enough for me to wear for a full work day and have good enough resolution to replace my large monitor. I want AR style headset to display a large monitor in front of me so that I can work anywhere with my laptop and always have a large display. I want it to be AR so I can still see around me and use peripherals like keyboard and mouse.

Reactions: 4nNtt

desslr

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
He’s got so much wrong this year and last that I really would take what he says with a pinch of salt now.

ridddder55

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2019
Ohio
Years ago, I read an article in popular science that talked about devices using lasers to paint images on your retina's in place of traditional displays. Like an internal hologram, I can't imagine the number of lawsuits that would generate, but still hope for a better way to get images into your brain.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Good for you, Oculus Quest 2 is a gimmick for kids. Tried it and after a couple of demos we were rather uninterested.

I'm old enough to have grandkids and I've played mine literally every single day since the day I bought it back in April. Over lunch today I played some Beat Saber and closed my exercise ring on my watch. Later tonight, I'll be playing something else. It could be mini-golf, or bowling, or Doom, or assembling some jigsaw puzzles in 3D. But honestly, it will probably just be more Resident Evil.

It clearly not for everyone. But to suggest it's nothing more than a gimmick for kids is just wrong. I know plenty of adults with Quests.

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
It clearly not for everyone. But to suggest it's nothing more than a gimmick for kids is just wrong. I know plenty of adults with Quests.

Not specifically on the Quest myself (Pimax 8K-X), but yes, I agree that VR is definitely not just for kids. The lack of good games can be overcome to some extent with vorpX, SuperDepthVR and even game-specific mods to bring older content into VR. Currently I'm playing Cyberpunk 2077 on my HMD, and it's pretty spectacular, gotta say. Come to think of it, I know only a single young person who owns VR equipment (OQ2), but I know a crap-ton of adults who do.

It's going to be a very interesting market for Apple to try and enter however, as VR is NOT currently something you can do with anything other than very high-end equipment. Well, at least *good* VR isn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: MEJHarrison

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
The frame will be permanently molded to fit Jony Ive's face.
LCDs will be permanently calibrated for Ive's eyes.
If anyone has a problem with it not fitting well or displaying clearly, it's their fault for not having the proper anatomy to use Apple products.

• Disagree
Reactions: 4nNtt and SFjohn

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
WiGig 2 support would be more useful and the new standard for a VR/AR headset that has wireless streaming. Unfortunately it would require additional hardware on both ends. Say a thunderbolt dongle on a mac.
If it supports Quest Link style tethering, WiGig might not be the best solution since it is line of sight and could be blocked by other humans in the room pretty easily. I used it on a Vive Pro and it was very easy to disrupt the signal. Sticking with WiFi 6E might be a better experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: duffman9000

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Tim has been praising AR for at least 5-6 years now and how critical it is to Apple. How he is it’s number one fan etc…so much time, capital and resources allocated to this. Over 300 patents too. One can only imagine what it will be…for businesses and consumers.
I imagine it will be expensive.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
My first reaction is: This doesn't belong to Apple, because Apple is about simple design, and wearing that is anything but simple. But I was thinking about Jobs-era Apple. However, for the modern Apple, it makes a lot of sense: if people shouldn't be in control of the OS version in their devices, nor in control of their cars... why should they use their eyes, to begin with? It's a sort of involution, a path to dehumanize people by negating both what be do naturally (use our eyes) and what be learnt to do (drive cars).
It will be a simple a stand-alone device that’s as easy to use as an iPad.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
Now I know everyone (iJustine) will be orgasming over this upon release but I really cannot see a use for this in my life OR many other members of the GP. Especially when I can only assume it will require remortgaging your house to own.
When it goes mainstream it will replace the other devices you are spending money on. It isn’t expected to be the next iPad on day 1.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
Everyone talks about this for gaming and I'm hoping something like this could one day be lightweight enough for me to wear for a full work day and have good enough resolution to replace my large monitor. I want AR style headset to display a large monitor in front of me so that I can work anywhere with my laptop and always have a large display. I want it to be AR so I can still see around me and use peripherals like keyboard and mouse.
They need to improve comfort for all day use. If this first version can achieve that then maybe it would be possible. I think this is the future too.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
Not specifically on the Quest myself (Pimax 8K-X), but yes, I agree that VR is definitely not just for kids. The lack of good games can be overcome to some extent with vorpX, SuperDepthVR and even game-specific mods to bring older content into VR. Currently I'm playing Cyberpunk 2077 on my HMD, and it's pretty spectacular, gotta say. Come to think of it, I know only a single young person who owns VR equipment (OC2), but I know a crap-ton of adults who do.

It's going to be a very interesting market for Apple to try and enter however, as VR is NOT currently something you can do with anything other than very high-end equipment. Well, at least *good* VR isn't.
We were promised VR growing up in the 80s and now we have it. I think everyone In my age group ran out and bought a Quest.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
The frame will be permanently molded to fit Jony Ive's face.
LCDs will be permanently calibrated for Ive's eyes.
If anyone has a problem with it not fitting well or displaying clearly, it's their fault for not having the proper anatomy to use Apple products.
Apple may care more about accessibility then any other company out there

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
".... with a special emphasis on gaming."

"Writing in the latest edition of his Power On newsletter, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman says Apple is "shooting for" a headset that can handle high-quality VR games"

I simply don't believe this. Apple have never understood gaming or taken it seriously. They've done everything they can to the opposite in fact.
I think they care about games. They know that is where 70% of the App Store revenue is coming from. I think Apple Arcade is just the beginning. They have been working with companies like Ubisoft lately. There have been rumors of Apple made game controllers. There are certainly things in the works that may bring gaming on Apple up a notch. I prefer playing console style games on mobile myself. I buy any that come along.

Also, the first company to make a backbone style game controller that attaches with MagSafe, I’m buying immediately.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I predict that Apple knows what their doing
We shall see.

If somehow Apple find a way to make the Glasses be beneficial in real world, like it can adapt to your eye sight at will or it can enhance your eye sight so you can see in the dark or something like that then I'll agree it will be successful.
But if it's only for AR then I'll pray for it.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
We were promised VR growing up in the 80s and now we have it. I think everyone In my age group ran out and bought a Quest.
I’ve been supremely disappointed with my VIVE Pro. The Intel Wi-Fi is garbage too. I’d rather deal with cables than drop outs.

I have high hopes Apple can do VR right. I want a high resolution and high refresh display. Much better than anything currently available. I don’t know how Apple will do this though.

I can’t do 90 Hz on some games. 120 or higher. I didn’t think I could suffer from motion sickness but when it happens damn lol.

hirshnoc

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I’d be quite happy if Apple developed a system where hand controllers wouldn’t be necessary. As pioneers in multi-touch, porting iOS games to VR/AR would make a lot of sense if the glasses could detect hand motions as you’d make on a hand-held device.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I predict this will fail. Not only fails, fails hard.

“This isn't revoltionary!

I still can't believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player? I want something new! I want them to think differently!
Why oh why would they do this?! It's so wrong! It's so stupid!”
Source:
“Garbage-besides osx mobile welcome to 2004

No iLife 07? No iWork 07? No leopard preview?
Release a wireless express with no audio connector with airtunes?

I guess because of itv that technology is done for. Apple wants you to lash out 299 in every room to have wireless music on every room Great going APPLE.

Overall i was more excited with microsoft home domination path.”
“THE worst MacWorld EVER

I say this with conviction this year.

Since Apple has changed their name, let's change MacWorld's name to AppleWorld while we are at it.

The iPhone... thoroughly put to sleep as I read the MacRumors live feed. Come on people, lets look past the fact that this is an Apple product and look at what it really is.... a Blackberry with a full touch screen. Sure it has its cool little features and every feature has been thought out very well, but it is still a cell phone that plays music and video.

I know that I am the minority here because I can't stand to have a cell phone and that there are many out there that feel that they cannot live without one, so this thing doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Especially when it has a throat slitting price of $499 and $599 AND it ties you to the devil for 2 years.

The final reason I have an issue with it.... did it really need an hour and a half of the keynote's time to talk about it? What a complete waste of resources. Steve would have been better off releasing the new Airport Extreme today instead of the whisper quiet release in the store this afternoon.

Also, where was the Quad Core Mac Pros? Where was an iSight update? Where was display update? Maybe even an iMac or Mac mini update? Just something MAC related.

We didn't even see ANYTHING on LEOPARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or the old stand by iLIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to jump out of my office window when I read that John Mayer was playing and the show was over........ This was NOT a MACWORLD.”
Source:
“Think only that PLEASE:

The Mac Tablet that years we were waiting for, is a giant (not iPhone! it does not call) iPod.

Revolutionary iPad=where is revolution? where is reinvention?

A big iPod Touch. Thanks Apple, Crap!”
Source:
“One miniaturisation too far. A white elephant. Look for them in eBay in a year. Do you want to be "That Knob With The Apple Watch Over There?"
And by 'Knob' we aren't referring to The Digital Crown here, readers.

Save yer cash folks”
Source:
“Bull ****.

First of all: it is crappy design. Look at that two thing sticks out.

Second: If I go to a field trip, 5 hours play back is too short. I still remember people mocking Samsung when they released their Bluetooth headphone.”
Source:
anyway, I think it’s interesting how the haters always end up on the wrong side of history.
I think when the Apple glasses are introduced probably in late 2022 for launch in mid 2023, the price point will shock people, they will instantly become a meme, people will complain… And then they will launch to mostly positive reviews, with a couple missing features added over the next couple years and several price cuts, then by the time we’re at Revision3, they’ll just be a normal product that everyone has and everyone wants.
just like the iPod, just like the iPhone, just like the iPad, just like the Apple Watch, just like the AirPods

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
I’ve been supremely disappointed with my VIVE Pro. The Intel Wi-Fi is garbage too. I’d rather deal with cables than drop outs.

I have high hopes Apple can do VR right. I want a high resolution and high refresh display. Much better than anything currently available. I don’t know how Apple will do this though.

I can’t do 90 Hz on some games. 120 or higher. I didn’t think I could suffer from motion sickness but when it happens damn lol.
I had the same experience with the Vive. The Quest works pretty good wirelessly. I’m not sure Apple will create a mode similar to Quest Link, but it would make sense for Final Cut Pro editing and game development previews.

MNLondon

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009
London
Don’t they have adapter for glasses?
My quest came with an adapter for it but not exactly sure if it’s working.
I can use my glasses with Playstation VR but had to close my sleepy eye to see the 'screen'. It's hard to describe what happens when I have both eyes open. I just that whilst looking at my screen on my computer, everything's fine. Maybe it's the distance between the eyes and the external lenses? I hope Apple is able to find a solution. They certainly have the expertise to make it happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.