Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
You can't make a "mixed reality" headset that looks like traditional glasses with today's technology. You can make smartglasses, but that's more like the equivalent of a smartwatch, but for your face.

Dang. I got my hopes up for a moment.

Oh well... I guess Apple will be making a more expensive version of the Meta Quest Pro. More helmet than glasses.

Maybe we'll have true AR glasses by 2030.

🤞

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
You can't make a "mixed reality" headset that looks like traditional glasses with today's technology. You can make smartglasses, but that's more like the equivalent of a smartwatch, but for your face.

You couldn't make a pocketable multi touch computer running a Mac OS variant with 2007 technology either – until it was done. Steve Jobs said at the time that the iPhone was 5 years ahead of the competition and he was proven right as it took that long before Android became a viable competitor.

Apple excels at taking niche quasi-ready technology and moving it past the finish line. refining it so it's easy to use, capable of being manufactured at scale for a mass market and then becomes ubiquitous in the industry. They did it with the mouse and a cursor UI in the 80s, they did it with multitouch for the first iPhone, they did it with Touch ID, the first widespread use of finger print security in a portable format, and again with topographical face scanning (Face ID).

These were some of the prototype technologies that already existed for demonstration but were years (or decades) away from being refined enough for widespread use. I'd give Apple the benefit of the doubt based on past performance that they can do it with retinal projection which exists but hasn't been done right... yet. Or for this first generation, lightweight displays in a pair of glasses that can be easily slipped on and off for casual use.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
You couldn't make a pocketable multi touch computer running a Mac OS variant with 2007 technology either – until it was done. Steve Jobs said at the time that the iPhone was 5 years ahead of the competition and he was proven right as it took that long before Android became a viable competitor.

Apple excels at taking niche quasi-ready technology and moving it past the finish line. refining it so it's easy to use and then becomes ubiquitous in the industry. They did it with the mouse and a cursor UI in the 80s, they did it with multitouch for the first iPhone, they did it with Touch ID, the first widespread use of finger print security in a portable format, and again with topographical face scanning (Face ID).

These were some of the prototype technologies that already existed for demonstration but were years (or decades) away from being refined enough for widespread use. I'd give Apple the benefit of the doubt based on past performance that they can do it with retinal projection which exists but hasn't been done right... yet. Or for this first generation, lightweight displays in a pair of glasses that can be easily slipped on and off for casual use.

You can't invent your own physics. You're forgetting that we can't make batteries denser any longer and these things need batteries...and sensors...and camera..and wifi...and bluetooth...and the charging port. If you try to fit all this into a regular glasses form factor with a modern graphical operating system you'll probably have about 5 minutes of battery life.

There's a limit to how small these things can be miniaturised anyway. Below that and they become fragile and hot.

• Disagree
Reactions: arkitect and ipedro

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
Don’t think anyone is in rush for the AR/VR headset. Especially when how expensive it’s going to costs. Also, the developers will need plenty of time to make the AR/VR applications.
At this stage, VR isn’t a necessity like a MacBook, or iPhone … and without a catalog of content, it’s next to useless.

flofixer

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
California
At this stage, VR isn’t a necessity like a MacBook, or iPhone … and without a catalog of content, it’s next to useless.
the iPod was never a necessity and I wouldn't describe it as being useless. A catalog of content will be quickly developed I'm sure

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
You can't invent your own physics. You're forgetting that we can't make batteries denser any longer and these things need batteries...and sensors...and camera..and wifi...and bluetooth...and the charging port. If you try to fit all this into a regular glasses form factor with a modern graphical operating system you'll probably have about 5 minutes of battery life.

There's a limit to how small these things can be miniaturised anyway. Below that and they become fragile and hot.
I guess people said that about the old CRT tv's as well back in 1965... and cathode tubes. Now we have managed to cram millions of "tubes" in to a watch.

Obviously Apples first release is gonna be some ugly looking half helmet which have very little use and appeal. But 15 years from now perhaps?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON

In a world where Apple has made a MacBookPro capable of desktop level performance that can run for 20 hours when 10 hours had been the max limit for so long, it was considered a max ceiling for laptops, how is this even an argument?

Apple silicon changed the game. What was once impossible became the norm. When it comes to miniaturization capable of fitting performance + battery efficiency into a tiny wearable package, look no further than the Apple Watch that in generation after generation defied the max limits of what kind of computer could fit on a wrist.

We're not even remotely close to hitting the limits of physics. You don't need bigger batteries, you need more efficiency and Apple has proven that repeatedly with the Apple Watch and AirPods, both of which improved on their performance while lasting longer, and without needing to grow their battery size.

For context, you could fit today's Apple Watch components, including its battery, distributed into the length of a single stem of a pair of Ray-Ban style glasses. Two stems, and you're doubling the entire Watch performance and battery capacity, without even accounting for year-over-year performance improvements and ignoring the front frame of the glasses which would theoretically be left for the projection/displays and nothing else to be as lightweight as possible. It's likely that the glasses will be running one or more M3 level chips, instead of Apple Watch silicon, which it's going to need for performance and efficiency to run AR applications and two displays – if not retinal projectors.

This is just the baseline of what we know of today's technology. It's possible with what Apple already has on the market today, let alone with the technology that they haven't unveiled yet, built specifically for this new device category.

Reactions: peterdev

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
You can't invent your own physics. You're forgetting that we can't make batteries denser any longer and these things need batteries...and sensors...and camera..and wifi...and bluetooth...and the charging port. If you try to fit all this into
In a world where Apple has made a MacBookPro capable of desktop level performance that can run for 20 hours when 10 hours had been the max limit for so long, it was considered a max ceiling for laptops, how is this even an argument?

Apple silicon changed the game. What was once impossible became the norm. When it comes to miniaturization capable of fitting performance + battery efficiency into a tiny wearable package, look no further than the Apple Watch that in generation after generation defied the max limits of what kind of computer could fit on a wrist.

We're not even remotely close to hitting the limits of physics. You don't need bigger batteries, you need more efficiency and Apple has proven that repeatedly with the Apple Watch and AirPods, both of which improved on their performance while lasting longer, and without needing to grow their battery size.

You could fit today's Apple Watch components, including its battery, distributed into the length of a single stem of a pair of Ray-Ban style glasses. Two stems, and you're doubling the entire Watch performance and battery capacity, without even accounting for year-over-year performance improvements and ignoring the front frame of the glasses which I would theoretically leave for the projection/displays and nothing else to be as lightweight as possible. It's likely that the glasses will be running one or more M3 level chips, instead of Apple Watch silicon, which it's going to need for performance and efficiency to run AR applications and two displays – if not retinal projectors.

This is just the baseline of what we know of today's technology. It's possible with what Apple already has on the market today, let alone with the technology that they haven't unveiled yet, built specifically for this new device category.
Yes. Just imagine the sensors, battery and stuff they managed to cram into the AirPod pros. And they don’t need a charging port either. We can charge wireless now.

Reactions: ipedro

rmcq

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
I've gotta say... I've tried an AR/VR headset once back in like 2015. I can't even remember what model it was, but it was the stupidest thing I've ever used. And I'm DEFINITELY not going to buy Apple's if (since) it's going to cost $3000.
Tried one in about 1994, and thought the potential was amazing.

Tried a Quest 2 last week and thought much the same. Nice for First Person games, but seriously Zuck must be particularly desperate to have his own platform, what a waste of billions of dollars.

But, you know, the Apple Watch was initially a product looking for a use case too. Interested to see Apple's take on the segment.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
the iPod was never a necessity and I wouldn't describe it as being useless. A catalog of content will be quickly developed I'm sure

Yes, the iPod was a necessity for people who used tape players for many years and were waiting for a hard disc based player. It was a continuation of an existing product category.

It's easy to build upon things that always existed and felt natural and easy to use. It's really hard to develop a new category that feels forced and impractical.

Really wish people would stop drawing bad comparisons between completely different things. If you're talking about one device category don't talk about another.

rmcq

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
Yes. Just imagine the sensors, battery and stuff they managed to cram into the AirPod pros. And they don’t need a charging port either. We can charge wireless now.

this will be the first untethered VR headset with tethered performance. Potentially a game-changer in the VR space.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
But, you know, the Apple Watch was initially a product looking for a use case too. Interested to see Apple's take on the segment.

Another bad comparison and we should stop seeing people compare different product categories.

The Watch builds upon decades of smart watches starting with calculator, sports and talking watches in the 80s. This category always felt natural and easy to use. It always sold well.

VR has tried so many times, also going back to the 80s, and has had difficulties in every generation. The difficulties are not just technical. They are also anthropological. People just don't like wearing electronics on their face. It remains niche because of this very important issue that can't be ignored.

However, it is doubtful that Apple expects this to be as mainstream as any other category. That's just what some non-technical fanboys post as speculation.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The Watch builds upon decades of smart watches starting with calculator, sports and talking watches in the 80s. This category always felt natural and easy to use. It always sold well.

VR has tried so many times, also going back to the 80s, and has had difficulties in every generation. The difficulties are not just technical. They are also anthropological. People just don't like wearing electronics on their face. It remains niche because of this very important issue that can't be ignored.

Exactly. Take me for instance.

I've worn watches for 30 years.

But a helmet or goggles strapped to my face?

Nope.

:)

Reactions: arkitect

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
How to predict how close an Apple product unveiling is:
- how many people outside Apple have already seen the product and/or have the product in their hands?
- do select 3rd party developers have it already in order to have stage demos ready?
- did we just have a deluge of detailed leaked info from The Information?

The bigger and more detailed the leaks, the closer it is.

I feel the unveiling is closer than WWDC. Unveiling doesn’t mean preorders or shipping. Those stages can be months apart. (see the Apple Watch unveiling in 2014-2015)

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
They have the luxury of time on their side, so they can be patient and not rush it. I think it will take everyone by surprise, and it will end up being a large category for them.

Reactions: ipedro

markfc

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
Having recently played with immersed on meta quest and having 5 virtual MacBook screens in my virtual office I can’t wait!

I can only imagine what Apple could bring to this.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
While i think this will ultimately be a great product for Apple, the timing is bad. With inflation so high & heading into a Recession, many people just won’t have the usual disposable income to purchase such a luxury item as this in mass.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
There seems to be a lot of hate on here for a product that has not been released yet. I love technology so am excited to see what Apple do here, are VR/AR headsets for me? Not so far and I'd be hugely surprised if Apple managed to change my mind, but that is why I love new technology - if Apple did change my mind it would be an amazing product (to me).

giebe

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2014
Germany
I suppose it will be a AR glass. Apple doesn't really have any VR content and games are not quite popular on Macs.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
The best way for this to work would be minimal hardware in the glasses. Just a tiny gyroscope, camera and display of some kind. All the processing and imagery should be streamed from a phone. While there are a few niche uses for AR I doubt this will become particularly mainstream. It's a bit like 3D movies, it sounds good but after the initial buzz it gets used less and less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.