Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Oct 17, 2022
This same guy said the M2 MacBook Pro would debut in September 2022..... then in October 2022.... then in November 2022.... then maybe in December 2022....

He has a horrid track record of guesses but he guesses until it eventually happens and some people give him credit.

jonplackett

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
“Unavailability of software tools”

If only there was a company that made an excellent 3D game engomé Apple could call upon… cough.. Elix… Cough… oh well. That bridge looks pretty burned.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
AR/VR timeline:

Announced: WWDC 2023, to ship Fall 2023

Fall 2023: Shipping delayed until Spring 2024 pending refinement of developer SDKs.

Spring 2024: Shipping delayed until Fall 2025.

Fall 2025: It ships! The Apple Car, that is.

Spring 2026: AR/VR headset canceled because of insurmountable engineering difficulties.

CrapShack

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2018
DC
After the astonishing bungle of Meta, is this something Apple is even still interested in? Is it worth the risk? Are there THAT many people even into this? VR headset sales were DOWN in 2022 comp to 2021. Even here in the MacRumors forum, desire for this seems muted at best.

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
At this stage, VR isn’t a necessity like a MacBook, or iPhone … and without a catalog of content, it’s next to useless.

Imagine the difficulties for women who wear make up.

They have to remove the make up to wear the goggles. Then put the make up back on after using the goggles.

How can they do that all day? 😂😂😂 make up on, make up off, make up on, make up off.

Even worse if they have a nice pair of dress glasses. They have to keep juggling between dress glasses, make up on/off and goggles. Just a usability nightmare 🙃

It also messes around with hairstyling so you have to wash and brush your hair again after you use it.

Even with recommended tightness settings, VR goggles (just like motorbike and ski goggles) leaves a crease on your face after an hour. That crease takes a while to disappear so are people going to go around with crease face all day? 😂😂😂

So it’s appealing to some type of people who don’t care how they look but it isn’t appealing to people who like to wear nice make up and nice hair styles and don’t want a creased up face.

1673003703882.jpeg

sakurarain

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2018
Shanghai
i read a rumor-news today on Weibo (the Chinese twitter), it says, that the price could be coming up to $3000 - yes, i did not make mistake on the price.

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
I know that image is just representative... but it always reminds me of ski goggles.

I've worn ski goggles. To ski. When it's cold outside.

But I can't imagine wearing something like that indoors. For hours a day.

I'm genuinely curious to see how this next phase of computing will shape up.

🤔

View attachment 2137718
I'm with you.

However, I never used to carry around a slab of glass in my pocket either, so it really comes down to how compelling the use case is.

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020

They have to remove the make up to wear the goggles. Then put the make up back on after using the goggles.

How can they do that all day? 😂😂😂 make up on, make up off, make up on, make up off.

Even worse if they have a nice pair of dress glasses. They have to keep juggling between dress glasses, make up on/off and goggles. Just a usability nightmare 🙃

It also messes around with hairstyling so you have to wash and brush your hair again after you use it.

Even with recommended tightness settings, VR goggles (just like motorbike and ski goggles) leaves a crease on your face after an hour. That crease takes a while to disappear so are people going to go around with crease face all day? 😂😂😂

So it’s appealing to some type of people who don’t care how they look but it isn’t appealing to people who like to wear nice make up and nice hair styles and don’t want a creased up face.

View attachment 2137844

Experts can often point out all the ways in which a device will fail before it launches.

It's just that time and again, experts are wrong because they cannot imagine what they cannot imagine.

philcourage

Suspended
Oct 27, 2022
I guess people said that about the old CRT tv's as well back in 1965... and cathode tubes. Now we have managed to cram millions of "tubes" in to a watch.

Obviously Apples first release is gonna be some ugly looking half helmet which have very little use and appeal. But 15 years from now perhaps?
I’ve been reading this argument for at least 15 years. I wonder what will come first, a viable VR solution or my own death.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
We were just talking about this in a class today. Especially the effect of social media on people's choices in daily life... it's sad.

These things were never intended to replace normal interaction, that's what some people don't get.
In my experience, more technical people see these things for what they are, tools. Yes they are really cool technological advances but they remember where the off switch is. It’s the non techie people who I’ve seen get totally enthralled in email/MySpace/Facebook/iPhones in restaurants…

Just my experience. Yours may differ.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio

View attachment 2137844
But for other people still wearing their goggles, the bionic engine will remove the goggle lines from your face 🤭

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
But for other people still wearing their goggles, the bionic engine will remove the goggle lines from your face 🤭

Yeah man who needs to show a real face anyway? 😂 who needs to wear make up, good clothes, go to the dentist, wear shoes, smell nice? We can just all be in metaverse magic land and our avatars can replace us and worship at the altar of mega cyber corporation 😂

There are people who actually believe in this vision🤪🤮

Last edited:

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
Experts can often point out all the ways in which a device will fail before it launches.

It's just that time and again, experts are wrong because they cannot imagine what they cannot imagine.

So you mean we should listen to non-experts like Elizabeth Holmes, psychopaths like Zuckerberg and random loser on the web who tell us the wonders of their new technological vision that will totally work properly with no downsides to users and society 🤪

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I'm very interested in seeing Apple's technology path for such a product. It seems obvious that the end goal is a pair of AR glasses that can be worn all day but the technology for that is likely at least 5 years away (if not the 2030s). This initial headset is a strange product to launch as
  • The main applications at launch are likely gaming, business video conferencing and perhaps virtual tourism - and the first two are markets where Apple doesn't have a lot of market share (few AAA games and not much penetration into the business market outside of the creative industries)
  • The price sounds like it is going to be $3000 just as everyone is reigning in spending in anticiptation of a recession
I'm wondering if Apple are worred that if they wait until AR glasses become feasible (or at least, a less rediculous headset is feasible) someone else, like Meta or MicroSoft will have a well-developed a VR/MR ecosystem that is hard to break into. Let's see what is released and what developers can come up with to expand the use cases in new directions.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
i read a rumor-news today on Weibo (the Chinese twitter), it says, that the price could be coming up to $3000 - yes, i did not make mistake on the price.
They can ask whatever they want.
It will sell or it won't and they will deal with it accordingly.
I won't pay 3000 euros for a computer nevermind VR goggles.

Reactions: compwiz1202

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
After the astonishing bungle of Meta, is this something Apple is even still interested in? Is it worth the risk? Are there THAT many people even into this? VR headset sales were DOWN in 2022 comp to 2021. Even here in the MacRumors forum, desire for this seems muted at best.

Meta's own employees were tired and weary of using their VR Horizon worlds and their VP had to send angry emails to encourage them to use the crap.

Fortunately, according to the rumors anyway, Apple won't integrate with the "metaverse" plans that other corps are irresponsibly doing to grab as much private data and money as possible from users.

Especially because there would be so much grooming, abuses, misinformation and need for costly moderation for such a platform.

We have all seen the terrible behavior and cults that have sprung out of Facebook and Twitter. They have not receded and under Musk they have only grown more aggressive on Twitter.

So imagine all that, but in 3D. It's much easier for groups to groom a user if they can make an approach. They can't do that on standard flat webpages, but in 3D spaces they can.

So in Meta, Nvidia and Epic's vision of the "metaverse" there will be cults and grooming going on. No way would Apple want to be part of things like this.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Yeah man who needs to show a real face anyway? 😂 who needs to wear make up, good clothes, go to the dentist, wear shoes, smell nice? We can just all be in metaverse magic land and our avatars can replace us and worship at the altar of mega cyber corporation 😂

There are people who actually believe in this vision🤪🤮
Even worse is wanting and desiring that nightmare.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
To what end though? The true value to an AR headset or glasses is in enhancing IRL with useful data. This data needs to be pulled locally rather than from a network and would likely require a more extensive IOT setup that most cities already have.

Whilst I am exceptionally sceptical this device even exists if it turns out to be anything more than an iMac with an infinite desktop you strap to your face I’ll eat my hat.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Even worse is wanting and desiring that nightmare.

The Longtermist and Effective Altruist cult have written papers on how humans should be eliminated and replaced with SIMs. I wish I was joking. VCs actually fund these cretins. They use crypto projects and garbage overhyped companies to steal money from the masses to fund new dystopian ventures like this.

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
No big deal, it's what an iPhone Pro or iPad Pro costs in Australia & what you pay for a higher end video card.

Hell, an Xbox is nearly $AU800 and a house is 1 Million dollars. Why does everyone think this is a high price for a new piece of kit. Does nobody buy TV's for over $5000 or high end Hifi into the high 1000's????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.