Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to reliable supply chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple plans to release the sixth-generation iPad mini in the second half of this year, indicating an even more delayed launch for the small form-factor iPad.

ipad-mini-6-screen-increase-feature.jpg

In a note related to the launch of an 8-inch foldable iPhone in 2023, Kuo said that recent global changes have helped grow iPad sales and the newly released 11 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models are expected to bolster sales forward. In addition, Kuo said that the new iPad mini in the second half of this year will further help grow the iPad business.

Kuo and DigiTimes had previously indicated that the new iPad mini would launch in the first half of this year. Possibly due to supply restraints, the new low-cost iPad now seems to have been delayed to the second half of 2021.

The new iPad mini is expected to feature an 8.4-inch display with slimmer bezels and continue to feature a Touch ID Home Button and a Lightning port. The new iPad could be a disappointment for customers hoping the smallest form-factor iPad would benefit from a major redesign, such as the changes seen with the iPad Air and iPad Pro.

More long-term, Kuo reports that Apple is working on an iPad mini with a mini-LED display, which recently debuted in the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. Compared to the current LCD displays, mini-LED on the iPad mini would help deliver richer blacks, while providing improved contrast and HDR.

Article Link: Kuo: iPad Mini 6 Delayed Until Second Half of 2021

Greenmeenie

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I dunno about this rumor. I know the iPad mini gets no love and sometimes is not updated for 2-4 yrs...and now with rumors of an 8” foldable iPhone coming in 2023...perhaps will be discontinued altogether.... BUT I still would love to see an iPad mini with the flat edged design of the iPad Pros. As an artist who uses a larger iPad Pro, I would love to have an ipad mini that I could use my Apple pencil 2 on when I want to travel light.

Comment

PeterSchiffJr

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2021
Yeah... Kuo is a dumbass but I would love a new iPad like that... same form factor means atleast one more year with lightning... If you are an iPhone User, than you hate having two different charging cables all the time... it‘s so much better to have only one cable for everything and is worth the old form factor in my opinion and it will be cheaper this way.

• Disagree
Reactions: jimthing
Comment

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Kuo and DigiTimes had previously indicated that the new ‌iPad mini‌ would launch in the first half of this year. Possibly due to supply restraints, the new low-cost ‌iPad‌ now seems to have been delayed to the second half of 2021

In reality there was no delay to begin with and they both were flat out wrong. Pro’s have generally been announced in the Spring, the others announced in the Fall.

Reactions: Captain Trips
Comment

Oohara

macrumors 68030
Jun 28, 2012
An iPad Mini with Pro form factor and mini-LED display is top of my device wish list. I adore my iPhone 12 Pro Max but I still find it too small for many situations, whereas my iPad Pro 12.9 is often too big. An iPad Mini Pro would become my go-to device for so many situations, and I could then happily move to a cheaper and more pocket friendly phone, while keeping my iPad Pro for mobile yet heavy lifting tasks.

Touch ID in the power button like on the new Airs would be icing on the cake.

Comment

Greenmeenie

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
In reality there was no delay to begin with and they both were flat out wrong. Pro’s have generally been announced in the Spring, the others announced in the Fall.
There was a 4 yr gap btwn the iPad mini 3 & 4 and a two year gap btwn the ipad mini 4 & 5.

Comment

Greenmeenie

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
Oh man do I ever hope for an Air 4 style mini (I’d love Face ID but lets be real, it won’t happen if the Air never received it).
Yeah, i am hoping for an iPad mini with the flat edged design of the air & pros too. Face ID would be great, but like you wrote, if the Air didn’t get it, i doubt the iPad mini will. But i think an iPad mini with the same flat edged design & touch ID built into the power button on the side could work well. And they could offer the iPad mini in multiple colors like the Air as well. As someone who already owns a larger iPad Pro...I would buy one of these iPad minis in a hearbeat. I am an artist, and would love to be able to use my Apple pencil 2 on the ipad mini for when i want to travel light.

Comment

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah, i am hoping for an iPad mini with the flat edged design of the air & pros too. Face ID would be great, but like you wrote, if the Air didn’t get it, i doubt the iPad mini will. But i think an iPad mini with the same flat edged design & touch ID built into the power button on the side could work well. And they could offer the iPad mini in multiple colors like the Air as well. As someone who already owns a larger iPad Pro...I would buy one of these iPad minis in a hearbeat. I am an artist, and would love to be able to use my Apple pencil 2 on the ipad mini for when i want to travel light.

My 12.9 Pro is my primary computer, absolutely love using it. But I’d love to upgrade my mini 4 for casual reading, browsing, etc.

I hadn’t even thought about colours. That would be just amazing. Though if I’m being honest would love some brighter colours more like the iMac, and less like the dull ones of the Air.

Reactions: kazmac
Comment

JulianL

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
Pro form factor please.

Definitely. I've been a 9.7"/10.Various/11" iPad user ever since my first iPad 1 and this year I've ordered the new 12.9" pro for my main iPad but even so I've been watching the iPad Mini for a few years now because I'd really like a small dedicated device to control my music in my living room and would probably end up getting a second one for my office too. Yes, the current mini would do the job but I so love the form factor on my current 11" Pro now that just knowing that if only Apple would adopt that form factor for the Mini too then it could give me that same 8.4" (or whatever it happens to be) screen size in an even smaller device, and one that without the home button feels somehow more elegant (for want of a better word) at least for me has stopped me from getting a Mini. I'm curious as to why Apple doesn't go with the Pro form factor for the Mini. If it was because of cost of FaceID then they now have TouchID-in-power-button technology already in the market so that would be another alternative to compensate for no home button although personally I'd prefer FaceID.

Might we ever see an iPad Mini and an iPad Mini Pro sometime in the future? I suspect not especially if a foldable 8" iPhone happens since that starts become a fairly noticeable overlap although I'd still want the Mini Pro since as a stand-alone music controller foldability would be a 100% wasted feature for my use (not to mention all the other iPhone features!).

Comment

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Am I the only one who really likes the iPad mini form factor exactly as it is?
Nope, you're not the only one. Considering how widely they continue to be used in vertical markets (medical, warehouse workers, pilots, point-of-sales, etc.) you are far from alone. (I know, I know, I keep saying this whenever the topic of Mini upgrades comes up)

I'm a fan of the current form-factor... especially the Mini 5 w/Apple Pencil support. I'll only upgrade beyond the Mini 5 if it retains the form-factor.... in part because the newer iPad chassis styles don't support smartcovers. The 3.5mm headphone jack is still important to me.

Reactions: pdr733
Comment

jacks64

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2017
Brighton,UK
Nonsense.There was iPad Pro’s announced in November 2018 and the iPad mini 5 was announced in March 2019.

Reactions: Sunfly
Comment

Captain Trips

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020
Columbus, OH, USA
Looks like it Kuo time again on Kuo Rumoors. 🤦‍♂️
Shamelessly adapted from Hammer Time by Lecrae:

Kuo time, the other analysts can't touch me, Kuo time

Rumor headline, boy, you lookin' at a rumor headline
Some folks trust in Prosser, Gurman had to shave his eyebrows

Hold up
Now tell me, who those other leakers foolin'?

Comment

icymountain

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2006
Am I the only one who really likes the iPad mini form factor exactly as it is?
You are not, many do. The current form factor is practical for many, many applications.

I would add that, while I wondered whether I would like it to have slim bezels, I am not even sure about this. My experience with iPad pro is that small bezels are not very good to keep some space just to hold the device. If only the software dealt with this in a better way, smaller bezels would be useful.

Another remark is that I do not notice the audio connector in the list of ports mentioned in the article...

Comment

Captain Trips

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020
Columbus, OH, USA
They should kill this thing. Apple is too lazy to EVER update this. Oh and now a delay for this upcoming non-update. How long will they keep this machine on Lightning port and round touch ID button? 5 years after the Pro got rid of them? 10?
Apple will keep the iPad mini around as long as it continues to sell in sufficient numbers to meet whatever sales goals they have for it.

Reactions: Stridr69
Comment

dantracht

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Was contemplating pulling the trigger on a 5, as I really like the form factor for bedtime use, but will wait until fall.

Here's hoping I'm wrong and it's not just a spec bump to A14.

Reactions: D_J
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.