Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TF International Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has released a new research note, seen by MacRumors, that details his expectations for next year's iPhone lineup, tentatively dubbed "iPhone 13," including some positive shipment predictions based on a number of factors.

iphone12proframe.jpg

According to Kuo, the iPhone 13 will come in the same four model sizes as this year's iPhone 12, but with some major improvements to the camera technology. Specifically, Kuo says the Ultra Wide cameras on the two high-end models will be significantly upgraded to f/1.8, 6P (six-element lens) with autofocus. All the current iPhone 12 models are equipped with f/2.4, 5P (five-element lens) Ultra Wide cameras with fixed focus.

Looking further ahead, Kuo says he also expects all the new 2022 iPhones (tentatively called the iPhone 14 series) to be equipped with the same improved Ultra Wide camera with f/1.8, 6P and autofocus. Kuo states that Largan is likely to become the major supplier of voice coil motors (VCM) for the improved Ultra Wide cameras. It is expected that Largan will obtain about 70% of the VCM orders for the iPhone 13 under the advantages of vertical integration of lens production and VCM, versus 50% of the iPhone 12 series' Ultra Wide angle lens.

Kuo believes that shipments for the iPhone 13 will increase year-on-year and offers a positive outlook for the supply chain due to several factors, including a more robust 5G infrastructure in 2H21, a return to the traditional September timeframe for iPhone mass production and sale, and the aforementioned significant camera improvements to iPhone 13.

iPhone 13 rumors from other sources have been thin on the ground, although the notch on Apple's 2021 "iPhone 13" lineup may be smaller, according to one leaker. Display analyst Ross Young has also claimed the 2021 devices will come in the same sizes as the ‌iPhone 12‌ models, and will sport 120Hz-capable ProMotion displays, improved camera sensors, and sub-6GHz 5G connectivity.

Article Link: Kuo: iPhone 13 to Come in Same Four Model Sizes As iPhone 12, Pro Models to Feature Major Upgrade to Ultra Wide Camera

Last edited:

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
No Touch ID? Didn't Tim Cook learn anything? The iPhone SE (2nd generation) is sold immensely well this year, and Touch ID was one of the many reasons why. The COVID-19 pandemic is likely going to be around until a vaccine is available, which, at the earliest, could be middle or late 2021. Therefore, people will likely have to wear masks when the 2021 iPhone is released, and Face ID doesn't works with masks. Only Touch ID works with masks. What horrible leadership by Tim Cook if the 2021 iPhone lacks Touch ID!

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I won’t get An iPhone 13 because of the number. 13 means bad luck. They should skip it, like they did with the IPhone 9. ?‍♂️
Which is likely why the article includes this:

(tentatively called the iPhone 14 series)

But haven't we all heard stories where the number 13 was skipped (as in house numbers, building floors, or anything else) but the awful even took place in number 14 - which was "really" number 13. Just renumbering to 14 might not be enough...

Mind, I agree they might well skip 13.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
No Touch ID? Didn't Tim Cook learn anything? The iPhone SE (2nd generation) is sold immensely well this year, and Touch ID was one of the many reasons why. The COVID-19 pandemic is likely going to be around until a vaccine is available, which, at the earliest, could be middle or late 2021. Therefore, people will likely have to wear masks when the 2021 iPhone is released, and Face ID doesn't works with masks. Only Touch ID works with masks. What horrible leadership by Tim Cook if the 2021 iPhone lacks Touch ID!

I also (TouchID) made this point in the past, Apple just might listen.
It's awful the way it is now, removing your mask just to pay with ApplePay while you are pretty close to others sucks.

And for those who say "just use your pasword" I say this, my pasword is 15 Alphanumerical characters long, takes too ff long.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Next year will be very much an ‘S’ year. Historically in my opinion S years have been the better ones for one reason or another so even if it’s not called that I’m still somewhat tempted to wait. The 3GS fixed the speed, the 4s fixed the speed and antenna, the 5s went 64bit and had longer OS life. The 6S had much longer OS life and double ram and performance. Then we move to the 3 year cycle with the 7 or an SS release. The X (which I have) the battery has always been a bit naff, short sale life. The XS fixed the battery issues and gave major camera upgrades, the 11 is then the SS release and is a very refined product. So now we start again with the 12, my guess next year is the display, battery, 5G and camera improvements is the biggest gain over this years so is it enough?

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
It will be called the iPhone 12s. The 13 will not come until 2022.

Hmmm idk. The fact that they went from 11 to 12 was interesting, but I see why they did it.

ProMotion, better cameras and... Idk what else but I’ll be buying!

Yeah, I bet with rumours we'll see it referred to as the 13. But if you look at past few cycles:

6-6s-7
X-Xs-11

We'll probably have 3 years of this design, starting with 12 and 12s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.