Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone 16 models launching later this year will not have any "significant design changes," according to Apple supply chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

iPhone-16-Side-2-Feature.jpg

Kuo also said that Apple is unlikely to offer "more comprehensive" generative AI features until the iPhone 17 series launches next year at the earliest.

"It is expected that Apple will not launch new iPhone models with significant design changes and the more comprehensive/differentiated GenAI ecosystem/applications until 2025 at the earliest," wrote Kuo, in a blog post on Medium today.

Kuo believes foldable designs and generative AI features are two of the biggest trends for high-end smartphones right now, and he thinks iPhone shipments could decline in 2024 as a result of Apple not launching products focused on these areas yet.

One notable hardware change rumored for the iPhone 16 lineup is the addition of a so-called "capture" button for video-related actions. According to a recent report, the button will respond to pressure and touch. For example, the report said users will be able to zoom in and out in the Camera app by swiping left and right on the button, focus with a light press, and start a video recording with a more forceful press.

The higher-end iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max models are also expected to feature larger 6.3-inch and 6.9-inch displays, compared to 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch displays for the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Is a new button and a larger display significant or not? Ultimately, it's subjective.

Article Link: Kuo: iPhone 16 Models to Lack Significant Design Changes Beyond Larger Displays and Capture Button

Last edited:

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I thought we just had an article a week ago saying that iOS 18 is the largest OS update ever, built entirely around AI? is that off the table or are they just saying there won't be special hardware tied to AI until iPhone 17 or later? If AI plans just rolled over and died for Apple in 2024 that would be hugely disappointing.

Last edited:

truth_speech

Suspended
Jan 27, 2024
Phone designs don't have to radically change every year. As long as they function as they are supposed to, as long as 'they just work'.

That being said Pixels are looking like a great option nowadays.

I have been also thinking about trying out the Samsung Galaxy S24, but I hate Samsung so maybe not.

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
Externally, what could they even do to change the design that’s not change for the sake of change?
We’ve had 15+ years of annual iteration and refinement of this product that has led to what is essentially as flawless a form factor as they can make.
I’d slice off the camera hump, which I’m sure they’d do too if they could. But otherwise?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.