Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone 17 lineup will feature a 24-megapixel front-facing camera, according to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

dynamic-island.jpeg

The information was shared in a new post on Medium. The iPhone 14 and 15 feature a 12-megapixel front-facing camera with five plastic lens elements. The iPhone 16 lineup is expected to feature the same hardware. With the iPhone 17, Apple will apparently bolster the hardware to a 24-megapixel camera with a six-element lens. Kuo says that the upgrade will significantly improve the image quality of the front-facing camera.

• iPhone 6S: 5-megapixel front-facing camera with ƒ/2.2 aperture and 4P lens
  • iPhone 7, iPhone X, and iPhone XS: 7-megapixel front-facing camera with ƒ/2.2 aperture and 4P lens
  • iPhone 11, iPhone 12, and iPhone 13: 12-megapixel front-facing camera with ƒ/2.2 aperture and 5P lens
  • iPhone 14, iPhone 15, and iPhone 16: 12-megapixel front-facing camera with ƒ/1.9 aperture, autofocus, and 5P lens
  • iPhone 17: 24-megapixel front-facing camera with autofocus and 6P lens

The upgraded resolution to 24 megapixels is noteworthy because it would allow for greater detail and clarity in images. With a higher resolution, photos can maintain their quality even when cropped or zoomed in, providing more flexibility in post-processing. Additionally, the larger number of pixels can capture finer details, making the images sharper and more vibrant.

The upgrade to a six-element lens would also slightly enhance image quality. Each element can be designed to correct for various aberrations and distortions, leading to clearer, more accurate photos. The additional elements can also improve the efficiency of light transmission to the sensor, enhancing low-light performance.

It is worth noting that the iPhone 17 Pro is expected to be the first ‌iPhone‌ to feature under-panel Face ID technology, which could reduce the size of the Dynamic Island, but a circular cutout for the front-facing camera is expected to remain. The iPhone 17 Pro will probably be Apple's last premium model to include a circular cutout for the front-facing camera. Apple is then expected adopt under-display cameras in 2027's "Pro" ‌iPhone‌ models for a true "all-screen" appearance.

Article Link: Kuo: iPhone 17 to Feature 24MP Front-Facing Camera

Last edited:

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Will be interesting to see how this rumor and the rumors that there will be no "notch" or "dynamic island" could be meet.
Maybe an all screen solution allows for a bigger lens under the display?
Not sure how taking a pic through a touchscreen and screenlayer will affect picture quality, but maybe its no biggie with today CPU power.

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
On Instagram I always get a ********* when I comment that most people are too ugly for selfies. I actually include myself. Why should I make a selfie? Does it provide any value for others if they see my face on Instagram? A phone with a front camera makes me constantly feel watched.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Can we also get a toggle to disable the horrible machine learning filter (whatever it is called) because selfies on my 15 Plus look horrible. I was actually shocked, coming from my iPhone 12 PM. I hardly take selfies but when I tried to show off the camera capabilities to my family over Christmas, I thought the camera app had a bug and even tried restarting the phone but no, the photos simply look like crap compared to the 12 in low light. It looks perfect BEFORE you take the shot but once you look at the actually photo it has taken, the colours are completely dull and washed out, the image quality is not sharp either. Really disappointed.

Oh and before anyone thinks I am dumb.

Further sources

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/16p1b3m

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Selfie cameras suck generally because most people just take it arm’s length away. Go in front of a large mirror and take the shot a longer distance away holding the rear cameras below the chin and crop in post and I guarantee your face will look better.

Smoothing and beauty modes are another issue but in general a selfie will exaggerate your facial issues unless you have a perfect face - then it’s just a perfect face being taken by a crappy selfie camera… 🤣

cicalinarrot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
Now that there’s a huge bulge in the back… why don’t they make it bigger with room for a selfie camera as big as the main one?

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
but a circular cutout for the front-facing camera is expected to remain.
They should make it a HAL 9000 design. Dynamic Island is watching you.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I'm guessing that moving FaceID under the screen will need new light sources (dot projector) and detector (photodiode) to cope with a longer wavelength of light (to pass through the display layers more easily). This prediction is probably based on Apple's roadmap that is has shared with suppliers, but this technology still hasn't been fully developed. In order to make the iPhone 17 range it needs to be mostly developed (and cheap enough) by this time next year, so I fully expect this timeline to slip.

Reactions: SFjohn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.