Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's upcoming "Scary Fast" event will focus on the M3 series MacBook Pro models, according to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Kuo's wording suggests that he is expecting multiple M3 chips rather than just a single M3 chip, hinting at the possibility of M3, M3 Pro, and M3 Max chips.

macbook-pro-pink.jpg

If Apple does release M3, M3 Pro, and M3 Max chips at once, we can expect to see the new chips introduced in 13-inch, 14-inch, and 16-inch MacBook Pro models.

Kuo says that he previously predicted that Apple would not likely introduce new MacBook Pro models in 2023 because of "limited 4Q 23 shipments," and if new MacBook Pros do come out in November or December, the tight supply will last until the first quarter of 2024. Kuo further says that Mac shipments have declined due to the "limited M2 computing power upgrade," which may be the reason why Apple might launch M3 MacBook Pro models with low production volume.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman also says that Apple has been testing M3 Max and M3 Pro MacBook Pro models, suggesting that these machines are going to be refreshed. Gurman just last week claimed that Apple would not update the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with M3 Pro and M3 Max chips until early 2024, so it seems that his predictions have since changed.

That Kuo and Gurman are both now suggesting that we'll see 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models at Apple's October event comes as a surprise because much of their prior information pointed toward a 2024 refresh for these devices.

Gurman maintains that Apple will not refresh the MacBook Air models, Mac mini, Mac Studio, or Mac Pro at this time, which leaves the iMac, 13-inch MacBook Pro, 14-inch MacBook Pro, and 16-inch MacBook Pro for the October event. As Gurman has previously pointed out, these are the machines that are facing extended shipping times in Apple's online store.

According to Kuo, if the M3 models don't end up boosting MacBook shipments, there is an increased likelihood of an "all-new design MacBook Pro in 2025" and also a chance Apple will consider a "more affordable MacBook model."

Article Link: Kuo: 'M3 Series MacBook Pro' to Be Focus of Apple's October 30 Event

Last edited:

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Really hope they have MBA available but Gurman’s report suggests MBP is closer to production and MBA is further behind. Would be the opposite of how they’ve released Apple Silicon the last two generations where the bigger M3 chips released later.

joloriquelme

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2018
Santiago, Chile
The newer Intel and specially AMD chips became close or even outperformed the M2 chips (even if the x86 ones are energy-killers).

Makes sense that Apple would refresh their lineup with newer chips, even if it's the only change.

Remember that this is the 'More Poweful Chip & Benchmark Score' game. And Christmas is the finish grilled flag for the year.

Konigi

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2017
Montréal, Québec
For those who said 14" and 16" MBP are unlikely due to the fact they were released on January 2023, let us recall that these were delayed due to various production issues (chip shortages, lockdowns in China, etc.). They were supposed to be released in the Fall. Perhaps Apple is getting back to its originally planned release schedule.

Or perhaps we'll all wrong again :D

Last edited:

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
Hoping they discontinue the 13" Pro with Touch Bar. That Mac shouldn't exist anymore. The 13/15" Air and the 14/16" Pro address all the possible use cases.
Redesign it, make it a 13" MacBook Air with the M3 chip (air can keep the M2, air users don't need insane performance of m3), give it an extra USB-C port or make the ports Thunderbolt 4, and put it at $1500. Fills the gap in price between the $1100 air and the $2000 pro. They could just rename it to "MacBook" with no suffix even. But that would be too crazy for them to do.

qpid360

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Pasadena, CA
Damn, I just bought an M2 Max a couple weeks ago because I didn’t expect they’d be updating it in less than a year. What’s the best options here? I also already traded in my original laptop, so I can’t even go back to that temporarily.

Reactions: zapmymac and JuBe

Klapper.cz

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2022
Really hope they have MBA available but Gurman’s report suggests MBP is closer to production and MBA is further behind. Would be the opposite of how they’ve released Apple Silicon the last two generations where the bigger M3 chips released later.
I think the MBA has to wait for the newer better N3 process to realize all the benefits with passive cooling. The process they have now is supposed to be sort of step between, so I'm not surprised they would go with active cooled laptops first this time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.