Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple suppliers will likely begin mass production of a second-generation AirTag in the fourth quarter of 2024, according to new information shared by Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. The current AirTag launched in April 2021 and is priced at $29.

AirTag-and-Lavender-iPhone.jpg

Kuo believes the new AirTag will have better integration with Apple's upcoming Vision Pro headset, as part of a spatial computing ecosystem, but he did not provide any additional details or reveal any other potential new features for the item tracker.

The current AirTag is equipped with an Apple-designed U1 chip for Ultra Wideband, enabling a Precision Finding feature that displays the distance and direction to an AirTag. Kuo already said iPhone 15 models will likely have an upgraded Ultra Wideband chip, so perhaps Apple is planning an upgraded U2 chip for both iPhones and the AirTag.

Based on this timeframe, a new AirTag is still over a year away from launching, so additional rumors about the accessory are likely to surface over the coming months.

Article Link: Kuo: New AirTag Likely to Enter Mass Production in Late 2024

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
They do it’s job what more can it do, also one time I had my bike stolen they removed it so didn’t do it’s job

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
Love AirTags. I was able to retrieve my son's bike that was stole because of it. The COPS were impressed. Unfortunately, we never caught the bastard.

I watched a news story yesterday, couple got tired of their pottled plants in front of their house getting stolen.

Dude inserted Air Tag.

Pot was stolen.

Dude and wife tracked it around the neighborhood and found the guy.

Pot returned!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.