Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Apple deliberately used a removable battery to cut down on waste, which was the right decision.

Also, safer?
I think they’re mentioning safety wrt to the potential for children to pop open the AirTag and swallow the battery, especially given Apple states explicitly in their instructions to not use coin batteries that have a bitter coating to deter ingestion.

the idea of a child popping open an AirTag is a little far-fetched, but not impossible given that I’d figured out “child-safe” pill bottles by the time I was 4 or 5…it’s worth thinking about, but I don’t think it’s worth a moral panic a la the Tide Pod challenge of (what feels like) an eternity ago.

edit: @orbital~debris beat me to it but I’ll leave this up

• Love
Reactions: orbital~debris

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It's battery lasts for a year, it doesn't need it. Also, it's useful that it just uses a normal coin battery.
That's a coin battery in the dump every year times how many devices? EDIT: Apparently 55 million airtags have been sold.... woof.

I agree it doesn't "need" recharge in terms of convenience. But it sure would be more environmentally friendly.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
People have been murdered with the help of AirTags. The dangers absolutely outweigh the benefits.

Here is one woman murdered with the help of an Apple AirTag:
"In January 2022, an Akron, Ohio woman was stalked by her ex-boyfriend, who
buried an AirTag in the back pocket of the passenger seat in her car. The stalker used the AirTag
to follow the woman and shoot her."

Here is another woman murdered with the help of an Apple AirTag:
"In June of 2022, an Indianapolis woman hid an AirTag in her boyfriend’s car,
followed him to a bar, and ran him over with her car, killing him at the scene."

Here is a man who was murdered with the help of an Apple AirTag:
"An Indiana woman tracked her boyfriend using an Apple AirTag device over a suspected affair; then after a dispute, ran him over and killed him."

Apple deserves all the legal trouble they've brought upon themselves.
You know you could just do this with a phone too, right? Sure, it's more expensive. But if someone really wanted to kill you, what's a $50 pay as you go phone with location tracking? Buy a crappy phone, put on location services, put it on silent, hide it in car the same way. We use cell/smartphones to set off incendiary devices, traffic humans, etc. You can do bad things with a whole lot of gadgets if you really want to.

Reactions: phenste

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I think they’re mentioning safety wrt to the potential for children to pop open the AirTag and swallow the battery, especially given Apple states explicitly in their instructions to not use coin batteries that have a bitter coating to deter ingestion.

the idea of a child popping open an AirTag is a little far-fetched, but not impossible given that I’d figured out “child-safe” pill bottles by the time I was 4 or 5…it’s worth thinking about, but I don’t think it’s worth a moral panic a la the Tide Pod challenge of (what feels like) an eternity ago.

edit: @orbital~debris beat me to it but I’ll leave this up
I say this with a completely straight face; my three year old figured out how to open a locked (interior) door with his fingernail.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
That's a coin battery in the dump every year times how many devices? EDIT: Apparently 55 million airtags have been sold.... woof.

I agree it doesn't "need" recharge in terms of convenience. But it sure would be more environmentally friendly.

You realize that you can recycle batteries? Assuming you're living in a civilized country, your local electronics shop will probably do that for you. No need to put used batteries in the waste, take them to a recycling facility.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You realize that you can recycle batteries? Assuming you're living in a civilized country, your local electronics shop will probably do that for you. No need to put used batteries in the waste, take them to a recycling facility.
I realize. That doesn't change the reality that MANY don't...

Multiple sources point to upwards of 70% ending up in a landfill. Let's halve that for the sake of argument. That's "just" 19.25 million coin batteries sent yearly to the dump.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: orbital~debris

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
We need AirTags in different colors.

DA0B1D26-ED7C-43EA-8F1B-81067170E19C-1536x864.jpg

I wish they would them with a hole to take a keyring like Tile does. Easier to fit to keys and more compact. Also flat on one side to take adhesive pad to stick on things.

Umm, Apple sells a $35 key ring. No need to mess up the fine lines of the AirTag with a hole…

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
People have been murdered with the help of AirTags. The dangers absolutely outweigh the benefits.

Here is one woman murdered with the help of an Apple AirTag:
"In January 2022, an Akron, Ohio woman was stalked by her ex-boyfriend, who
buried an AirTag in the back pocket of the passenger seat in her car. The stalker used the AirTag
to follow the woman and shoot her."

Here is another woman murdered with the help of an Apple AirTag:
"In June of 2022, an Indianapolis woman hid an AirTag in her boyfriend’s car,
followed him to a bar, and ran him over with her car, killing him at the scene."

Here is a man who was murdered with the help of an Apple AirTag:
"An Indiana woman tracked her boyfriend using an Apple AirTag device over a suspected affair; then after a dispute, ran him over and killed him."

Apple deserves all the legal trouble they've brought upon themselves.
wow, three people with over 55 million AirTags sold…moral panic time!

🙄

Reactions: MrWillie

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
I would like a credit card shaped one for my wallet so I can get rid of the Tile one I have. It works mostly ok, but AirTag has been better for me.
you can buy „flattened“ ones on ebay or do it yourself. I have one and am very content with it

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
Apple will have to offer more than just a new chip to convince me it be worthwhile replacing to replace my existing tags.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.