Lack of hype and Apple's stock going down

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbplayer5, Jun 30, 2008.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

I think the lack of Hype for this phone is a little alarming. Apples stock is taking hits left and right. Why is this?

My belief is this:

Apple and AT&T underestimated the public's intelligence. They put a phone out there with a cheaper upfront price, but failed to mention over time, it will cost you more than your older phone. This is about as close to false advertising as you can possibly get without breaking the law. Dont advertise cheaper phone, when in reality, its more expensive.

The rate plans should remain the same across the board for the iphone. Adding 10 dollars a month to a service and not even including text messages is quite laughable. The only way this would be "ok" is if that 10 extra dollars also included 1000 messages. Texts take up 0 bandwidth and there is no reason they should cost ANYTHING, let alone that much.

There probably wont be any lines at ATT or Apple for this phone - or at least not as bad as last year.

I live on my phone so the 3G is a must have. I also like the GPS... I will be getting one, but I think Apple will be well below their target sales.

2. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Apples stock taking a hit has very little to do with the iPhone and more to do with Oil, the economy and FUD...

3. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

cite the source for that please.

4. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

I have to agree with the post. I love my iPhone, I like the new features of the upcoming 3G, but....
    SJ told a complete lie when he indicated that it was now cheaper.
    And, they needed a 32 GB model now to get the 1st generation to upgrade. Why buy just a 16 GB when a 32 GB will probably come out in not more than a year. And probably at the same price if the iPhone history is any indicator.

5. meagain macrumors 68030

Um - Have you looked at the stock market lately? Everything's down. Big time. Dow was down what?.... -380 Thursday?

6. izibo macrumors 6502

Absolutely, besides... at&t charges $10/mo extra for all 3G services. The iPhone is no different. Hardly screwing the customer if you ask me.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Go to a gas station.

8. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

cite the source that ties gas prices to apple's stock please.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You obviously know nothing about what the American economy has revolved around since the '50s.

Oil goes up, all other prices go up. That's How It Is.

10. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

I hate to inform everyone, but check it out.
    Back in the '60's, it was decided that the World's Economy would be based on the price of oil, and not gold (or the American Dollar). Therefore, everything rises/falls in price according to the price of a barrel of oil.

11. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i know quite a bit about economics. i would just like some kind of source showing the tie between gas prices (as you said) and apple's stock (as i own stock in apple).

12. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

You do realize that Apple will be selling the iPhone in 70 countries this time, right? That means, what - 65 countries will see the iPhone for the first time this year? I wouldn't worry about Apple hitting their sales targets ... ;)

13. izibo macrumors 6502

Wrong, at least with regards to stocks and investors. I think you may be confused with inflation and the price of consumer goods, which will indeed go up as gas increases (at least in the the long term).

However, when oil futures shoot up, investors in the market get scarred off and the stocks usually go down significantly (at least in the short term). In fact, if you look at the market hit last week (where Apple went down bigtime) it was largely in response to an INCREASE in oil prices.

14. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

It's not an issue of oil prices vs. Apple stock. It's oil prices vs. ALL stocks. When oil rises, most stocks fall, that's just how it is, and like other have stated, has been for decades. If oil dropped to $120 barrel today (unrealistic, I know), you can bet that most stocks, would see a significant jump to go along with it. The days the market is up are the days the price of oil falls. Just look at the pattern over the last month if you don't believe it. Apple's stock falling has very little to do with the iPhone.

15. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Get a book by Lindsey Williams entitled Energy Non-Crisis. It documents a lot of facts including statements from a Congressman that checked out his claims for himself.

There is also an online video (over an hour long) on this. This will answer your request.

16. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

It's basic knowledge that rising oil prices cut into profit margins and raise prices because of increase transportation cost. It cost more for component manufactures to ship their products to the factory and thus increase their prices. The increase component prices coupled with the increase shipping cost cause Apple to make less per iPhone/Mac/whatever.

Add onto it the fact that consumers have less disposable income because they have to budget more for gas, most retail related stocks will fall.

You have to remember that the price you pay for a stock is the future growth potential of the company. If the profits of the company are expected to fall because of outside factors (in this case costs increase) then the stock price will fall.

It's not just Apple being affected ....

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Isn't that what I'm saying? Oh! You thought I meant STOCK prices go up! No, no, no, I meant the price of general goods!

I'm saying that with gas being a greater portion of people's expenditures, Apple's stock went down as a result of investors believing that fewer people will buy the "luxury, higher-priced" computers that Apple makes.

18. izibo macrumors 6502

What are you smoking?

Are you honestly purposing that we switched from a gold standard to an oil standard as the basis of the value of the US dollar? Holy smokes...

Influenced by oil, absolutely. Based on oil, not a chance. It's a market economy, and oil is very important, but not the basis.

19. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

If you want a source, read this little excerpt...

Supply Constraints

That's from CNBC, 1 of many sources..

Oil already hit $143 today and backed down to $142 and change.. 95% of the market is affected by the prices of Oil..

20. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

It is very interesting though... The number of people I know that:

A) Know when the new iPhone is going to start being sold

and

B) Even know a new iPhone is even going to be sold

is WAY lower than last year.

I'm feeling like there will be no lines.

21. aristobrat macrumors G4

Two things.

#1, Apple's stock currently seems to be mostly following the overall NASDAQ when it comes to taking hits.

#2, last year, Apple's stock didn't shoot up until AFTER the launch day.

Attached Files:

22. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

wow, this was stupid on so many levels...

23. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

ONLINE VIDEO WELL WORTH WATCHING
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3340274697167011147&pr=goog-sl

24. alFR macrumors 68020

If you don't understand how oil prices rising and the credit crunch could negatively affect stock prices (across the board and including Apple's) then no, you don't know very much about economics at all.

25. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

excellent; thank you. i'll check them out.