Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Lack of 'Mac' Branding Raises Questions

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

TheAppleBlog raises a question that has been on the minds of many this evening regarding the notable lack of "Mac" branding on WWDC banners. Their conclusion? Is Apple planning on distributing OS X to computers other than Macs?

At MacRumors, we try to avoid purely speculative conclusions, but in so much as it's been on the minds of readers, we'll post this as a discussion piece. A few rumored changes could be positioning Apple for a transition to sell OS X for generic PCs:

- Changing .Mac to Me.com (platform neutral)
- OS X Leopard (not Mac OS X Leopard)
- 10.6 to be Intel only (dropping PowerPC would be necessary)
- "No new features" in 10.6 could be due to resources devoted to just making 10.6 "PC compatible"

Again, this should not even be considered a rumor. Only speculation, and it assumes that the above rumors are, in fact, true.

Article Link

bunyip

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2008
No mac

My guess is they dropped the Mac to make the point that it's not just on Macs anymore - it's on the iPhone as well, and, dare I say, a new mystery tablet.

Comment

syklee26

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
if Apple doesn't sell full blown OSX and just some stripped down version of OSX to PCs, I think it makes good sense to do that in order to promote the superiority of OSX and the ability to easily integrate Apple goods into full OSX equipped systems.

Give stripped down OSX some features like Time Machine, which won't hurt the sales of Macs.

Plus, another reason to have stripped down OSX is to sell another software products (which other than R&D cost next to nothing to produce) to sell with iPhones.

Apple probably understands that the world of computer tech is more or less merging into phones. They need to hit more market.

Comment

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I'm feel a no, but who knows.

The OS X Leopard I feel like is named that because of OS X iPhone. Apple has also called the OS X iPhone , iPhone OS, so I question how important Apple holds the names of their OSes

Comment

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Well, this is about the most far out rumor I've heard so far.

In other words, NO. Not a snowball's chance in hell. I'll eat my hat.

Comment

cwc123188

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
+ the fact that Apple hasn't made a move on destroying Psystar.:cool:

I think the move to sell OS X to other PC makers could potentially bring down Windows but- it would one day make OS X as bad as Windows IMO.:(

Comment

ZrSiO4-Zircon

macrumors member
May 30, 2007
Washington State
Mixed feelings if Apple decides to sell to generic PCs....
Initial thoughts: It's the tight integration between software and hardware that makes a OS X so great.
Bringing OS X to the wild west that is the PC hardware world I think would devalue OS X to alot of people.
I dunno, I'll ponder about this :p

Comment

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
It would sure represent a complete transformation of Apple's corporate strategy. They've had great success with the iTunes+iPod model and the OS X+Mac model (and, for that matter, the combination thereof for the iPhone). Not only can I not see why this would happen, I don't want it to happen, as it would open up a ton of unpredictable variables onto Apple's future, and recall an unfortunate chapter in its past.

Comment

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
Is Apple planning on distributing OS X to computers other than Macs?

No.

If anything Apple is simply trying to divorce the "Mac" name from the operating system at its most basic level. Think back to when the iPhone was first announced and Jobs said "iPhone runs OS X". Not "Mac OS X", just "OS X". Now that the iPhone's OS (whatever you called it before) can sit at the table as an equal player with the Mac's OS (both have full SDKs and an army of developers), there is no longer any reason to be delicate about the distinction. Both OS's are born from the same core (OS X) but run on different hardware, in different working environments, and with different goals. Apple just had the good sense not to follow "OS X iPhone" with its natural extension of "OS X Mac". Thank goodness for that.

Comment

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
My guess..... No.

A big reason why Windows has so many perceived problems, IMHO, is that their OS has to work on so many different hardware combinations. OS X doesn't. MS has to spend a lot of money troubleshooting weird hardware combinations. Apple doesn't. And I don't think that the PC makers would be able to keep this kind of secret if Apple had sub-contracted support to the hardware makers.

I go with OS X being able to work on iPhones and iPods and perhaps the rumoured touch tablet.

Comment

El Carbonite

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
Not going to happen.

The two bridges teaser we received in the past mentioned, "Everything Mac. Everything iPhone." Apple just assumes we know that OS X Leopard runs on a Macintosh computer.

Comment

RonCarr

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Tennessee
Or it could be because they of using OS X in the name of the iPhone operating system. Seeing that the iPhone is not a Mac.

Comment

Camui

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2007
Texas
I feel similarly to ZrSiO4-Zircon.

In thought, it's a very cool concept. Running OS X on any Intel computer legally & easily. OS X having a huge increased combat ability in regards to Windows. The commercials advertising that new ability would be interesting to see as well.

In practice, they would probably be opening Pandora's box. Microsoft opened it themselves & their users suffer because of it. The endless seas of hardware.... *shudders at the thought*

Comment

bitWrangler

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
Yeah, right.

Has anyone bothered to look at Apple's financials? Exactly where do they make the overwhelming majority of their money, I'll give you a hint, it 'aint OSX sales. It's hardware, they use their software to pump a lot of high margin hardware. All those folks who are flooding Apple Stores in droves are now going to be given the opportunity to flock down to the Dell or HP area in nearly every large retailer to purchase similar but cheaper hardware, no, I don't think so either. Apple exposing themselves to possible hardware price wars, no, I don't think so.

Others have mentioned the more obvious explanations for the various points of "evidence", so I won't repeat them.

You'll see licensed Mac "clones" way before you'll see OSX running on standard PC's.

Comment

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Apple does well with it's OS because they design the software and the hardware. Microsoft Windows has issues mainly because of software, but also because of the many drivers they need to support all the hardware out there.

I can't see Apple opening OS X up to generic PC's as they'd lose a huge chunk of revenue, after all, why buy a complete mac when you can get a Dell and install OS X on it for $129.

This always happens, before every keynote, wishful thinking by some who don't see the point in paying more money for superior integration, performance, stability, etc...

Comment

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
As I stated in another thread, "OS X" is basically just a platform. There is an OS X that runs on the Macintosh, called "Mac OS X." And there is a OS X that runs on the iPhone, "OS X iPhone." That appears to be the new official name, as opposed to older names like iPhone OS, or perhaps iPhone OS X.

Comment

wicktron

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
Probably not going to happen, but it's not impossible.

Apple did switch to Intel, IIRC, something that was also "not supposed to happen."

Also regarding hardware configurations causing perceivable problems... I don't see Linux having much trouble on various x86 configurations. Why would OSX have problems? An OS is as good as it's foundation and it's core, and OSX has as good, if not better foundation in its BSD/Unix roots.

Microsoft is just now learning with Vista that the *nix-style of separating user from root is the way to go, regardless of how intrusive UAC is. It'll help them go a long way in ridding malware/viruses. Vista, regardless of how you may perceive it with all its faults, is a more secure OS than WinXP.

Although I think OSX would do just fine in a PC atmosphere, I think it will decrease Apple's core brand of exclusitivity and completely cannibalize the sales of their hardware. The Apple as we know it would cease to exist, and the symphonic harmony of the beautifully orchestrated hardware-software existence of Apple would be no more... Say hello to the era of windowed, CCFL, high dBA fanned OSX computers *cowers in fear*

Comment

bob_the_gorilla

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2004
Derby, UK
Really can't see this ever happening, let alone right now. Steve Jobs has always loved quoting Alan Kay: "People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." Apple loses so many of the advantages that OS X has by making it generic - not least their small hardware pool to support.

Most of those rumours are better explained in other ways - Mobile Me to make it attractive to non-Mac iPhone owners; dropping the Mac from Mac OS X because they've finally settled on how to co-brand iPhone and Mac OSes; 10.6 to be Intel-only because it reduces the work involved in new features (I still think it's too early).

Comment

Phil A.

Staff member
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
As others have said, my interpretation of the dropping of Mac from Mac OS X is simply because they're emphasizing that the iPhone OS is OS X. OS X is now available on Macs, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple TV. Dropping the Mac bit allows them to market "the platform" across various devices.
It's a bit of a stretch to make the leap to Apple marketing OS X for generic PCs from those banners...

Comment

jahsavi

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
Good rumor.. I mean speculation lol

No I agree, there's defiantly something weird about the "mac" removal thing.

..reminds me of "..the new at&t" advertising. Started with Cingular the new at&t. Then you saw at&t with the cingular color (orange). Now its just At&T with nothing. Cingular is gone.. I believe apple may be doing the same and it may have nothing to do with osx for pc's. Just a name change..

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.