Laptop Ban May Expand to Flights Coming to U.S. From Europe

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, May 10, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The United States Department of Homeland Security may be planning expand its laptop ban, disallowing laptops in the cabins of all flights from Europe to the United States. News of the expanded ban, which could be announced as soon as Thursday, came from European security officials that spoke to The Daily Beast.

Passengers flying from Europe to the United States will need to put their laptops in their checked luggage should the ban be expanded to cover European countries. The Department of Homeland Security has not yet made a final decision on whether or not to expand the laptop restrictions, with Security Secretary John Kelly planning to discuss the matter with senators in a classified briefing on Thursday.
    A laptop and tablet in-cabin ban was first announced in March on intelligence suggesting terrorists had discovered a way to turn laptops into bombs, but at the time, the ban only applied to passengers flying to the United States from Jordan, Qatar, Kuwait, Morocco, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey. That first ban is still in place.

Though The Daily Beast's source says laptops will be banned on all flights from Europe, Reuters says the ban will include "some European countries." The government is said to be reviewing how to make sure lithium batteries stored in luggage holds don't explode before enacting the ban.
    A ban in European countries could impact many United States carriers that offer European flights, including United Airlines, Delta, and American Airlines. Airports and airlines in Europe have reportedly already been working on plans for an extension of the ban since it was first announced.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Laptop Ban May Expand to Flights Coming to U.S. From Europe

2. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

Invest in more bomb sniffing dogs and throw out the remainder of TSA. This is just getting ridiculous.

3. Asarien macrumors regular

Looking forward to twiddling my thumbs with nothing to do but forcefully watch advertisements on a blurry screen 5 inches from my face, during my next 12 hour flight.

4. Zenithal macrumors 68040

There are these things called books.

5. markhort macrumors 6502a

markhort

If this does come in, my London to San Francisco flight next year is going to rather boring.

6. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

7. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

This is going way too far. If they really were concerned with the batteries being in good health then they might as well ban all cell phones too because the Note 7 is more dangerous than any laptop made in the last decade. It's not even safety at this point, it's paranoia from people who have no idea how the world works. If I'm in a plane for 10+ hours, I better have something to do in the meantime. Well, whatever. Let's hope that this ban doesn't apply to flights within Canada, or else I'll be really pissed.

8. cube macrumors G5

9. JGRE, May 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2017

JGRE macrumors 6502a

JGRE

The US is getting pretty ********. They are seeing terrorists everywhere, ridiculous.

10. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Can we bring that on-board? I thought only a cell phone these days...

11. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

This is going to really impact on transatlantic business travel. Few companies are going to be prepared to have laptops holding their data (encrypted or not) leave their employees' sight.

If business travel drops significantly, that then affects the whole pricing model for airlines as that's where they make their money. Emirates have already reduced flights to the US after the ban has been in place for only 2 months.

12. meaning-matters, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017

meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

What about Microsoft Surface Pro and similar devices?

13. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Greeeeaaat... so if it is no big deal to check all these lithium ion battery containing devices then why do they have HUGE posters saying you cannot check lithium ion batteries?!

14. cube macrumors G5

It does not matter.

15. zone23 macrumors 68000

I don't get it couldn't I just build an Android device into a laptop with an explosive device inside, and detonate it with my phone via Bluetooth? How is stowing it going to prevent anything?

Edit: I guess you have to put it in with your luggage my bad..

16. AronDraws macrumors regular

AronDraws

oh my gawd if I couldn't work on anything for that long it would be helllllll on that plane. I already have a hard time getting through 6+ hour flights without working on things.

17. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I can understand if they have intelligence about terrorists wanting to turn laptops into bombs they need to do something, but even if it's safer to have them in the hold it seems rather a weird 'balance' to settle on. Surely there is either enough evidence so that they should be banning all laptops (and probably electronic devices altogether) or else there isn't a major risk? I find it weird.

I wondered that too, but apparently I think the argument goes that if something in the hold blew, the way it's designed is that it would blow outwards and the plane (and passengers) would be more likely to survive the experience. Which is why I find it odd, like if that is the reasoning they sound like they are playing the odds a little too much.

18. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

At least you will be safe /s

19. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I'd imagine having money set aside to purchase a clean laptop from a store and logging into a offsite company website and downloading encrypted documentation will become the norm.

20. AronDraws macrumors regular

AronDraws

I have no problems with iPad Pro and two Nintendo 3DS' along with a few of my phones (the older ones I use for gaming).

we might as well just invest in that sleep-flight technology from the 5th Element lol

21. CrystalQuest76, May 10, 2017

CrystalQuest76 macrumors 6502

Terrorists may not be everywhere but they sure are in a lot of places and killing lots of people.
    Terrorists have a history of building bombs into electronic devices, handing them off to pregnant girlfriends that are then duped into taking them onto planes.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindawi_affair

And again with this event.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_103

22. britboyj macrumors 6502a

23. az431 macrumors 6502

Did you read the article? The purpose of the cabin ban on laptops is related to security, not battery hazards. The concern is with batteries stored in the cargo hold, not in the cabin, because cargo holds are subject to extreme temperature and pressure differences.
    --- Post Merged, May 10, 2017 ---
    ...because that happens every day on an airplane

24. Markoth, May 10, 2017

Markoth macrumors 6502

Markoth

Being overcautious is better than not being cautious enough, like most European countries have been. Look at what has happened in France. All it takes are a few maniacs to kill a large number of people. I don't think the people who have died in France would share your sentiment. Obviously, the French were not careful enough.

25. dmnc macrumors 6502

dmnc

Other than that? That was also 31 years ago.