Laptop Stand Discussion for 15" MBP, help me to determine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skiffx, Feb 27, 2008.

1. skiffx macrumors 6502a

There are many laptop stands available on the market, and Ive recently ordered an updated Penryn MBP 15" (very excited :p) and they all look cool to me, wanted to hear from current owners of iLaps, iCurves, as well as others, which ones do they like/dislike and why? I do want to get one which will enable me to use it comfortably w/o bending my wrists in some awkward position. Some points to consider, it probably will be spending most of the time on the desk hooked up to two external lcds (migrating from Win to OSX finally) so it will probably will be standing a bit to my left not to block the main 24" which is in the center, I will have a wireless keyboard most likely and a bluetooth mouse to control it, but will use the laptop screen as well (it wont stay closed as some people prefer) I want to utilize all 3 screens. Since it will be on 24/7, I think the stand will help it to stay cooler. Thanks in advance and I hope this all makes sense to you guys. :D

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have an icurve and if I didn't have to move down to one desk I would still be using it. I now use a powersupport vertical stand that I was about to buy from them and someone here sold one to me. I couldn't be happier. The icurve was great because it was clear and was not intrusive. I was quite pleased with it when using it as my hard drive fit under it and eventually I started sliding my wacom under it while it rested on the legs. I would presume the elevator would so exactly the same.

The iLap is meant for your lap. To me I use my notebook as a desktop too frequently now that the iLap wouldn't work for me.

3. AkiNikoTanTan macrumors member

mstand by raindesign is good, provides excellent elevation, elegant looking and most of all, it makes your MBP look like a ACD?? LoL!!

4. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

The iLap rocks! I was really reluctant to drop the $$ for one, but I have never regretted it. A very nice product and great to use.

MacDann

5. PDE macrumors 68020

I concur. Mstand is beautiful, but not adjustable. I also like x-stand - very portable and provides good elevation without being visible at all.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

About that stand. The deal breaker is that you can't get the ACD cable through that hole to help with some cable management.

7. hassouni macrumors member

Honestly, I think stands for MBPs are a waste. I got an iCurve for my 17" PB, plus a keyboard and mouse, and in the end I didn't use it, and didn't use the keyboard until the PB died. The keyboard on the mac is supremely comfortable and feels better than any full-sized one.

8. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I can't see using one on a desktop, but I will say that if you work with your MBP on your lap at all, the iLap does a great job getting it at just the right angle no matter how you sit, and it keeps your legs from getting toasted, too.

The padded wrist rests really make it fatigue-free for the most part, too.

MacDann

9. skiffx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah Im actually leaning toward iLap due to the padded wrist rests...

10. Baderous macrumors newbie

iLap rules. for your wrists and your cojones.

11. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

12. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

post links to these stands.

mine is pretty nice.
    cost me 4 years of highschool and a trip downstairs.

[​IMG]

o ya, you cant see my usb hub.
    15 bucks from newegg
    with 7 ports.
    i should take a pic of my external hdd too with custom stand:D

13. Nydator macrumors member

I recommend the Griffin Elevator. It looks good, keeps the MBP cool and can be taken apart for traveling.

14. skiffx thread starter macrumors 6502a

hahaha brilliant!!!

15. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    its a mouse pad cut up with four posts so that the vibration of the hdd's isnt so annoying and it works well i might add. and it also give me a place for my ipod dock

o yes and the tape is for the fan on top to push the air along the second hdd to the front and back of it so it cools better and the flap is so that the air isn't annoying me

16. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

thanks.
    have to use that thing in between your ears once in a while

17. skiffx thread starter macrumors 6502a

What camera did you take these pix with? Pretty good quality.

18. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

powershot s500 (5megapixels)
    photobucket kills the quality.
    thanks

19. hooly macrumors regular

hooly

I've got the m-stand. Very stylish, I like it.

I use it with an external keyboard though, I wouldnt like to use it without one for long periods :)

20. skiffx thread starter macrumors 6502a

All these choices are really confusing me now :D

21. PimpDaddy macrumors 6502

+1 for the Griffin Elevator!

I chose the Elevator over mStand from Raindesign because the Elevator isn't angled downwards as much as the mStand thus providing more flexibility as I can adjust the angle of my MBP screen more freely(the screen of the MBP can't be opened as much as other "generic" laptops).

Take a look at this setup with the Elevator:

[​IMG]

22. hooly macrumors regular

hooly

very minimalist! I'll post my m-stand set up later :)

23. skiffx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is it still possible to get that white keyboard but wireless osmewhere? I dont like the new wireless keyboard, I hear its the sUx.

Edit: New condition, not used.

24. pseudonym~ macrumors newbie

Woah, how do you trust that thing to not let it drop? I'd be terrified if I were you!