Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is experimenting with larger iMacs, including a model with around a 32-inch display, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. In his latest Power On newsletter, Gurman said these iMacs are still in early development, so he does not expect them to launch until late 2024 or at some point in 2025 at the earliest.

iMac-Pro-2022-27-and-24-iMac.jpg

Gurman previously said Apple was developing a larger iMac with over a 30-inch display, and he has now specified that the display will be around the same 32-inch size as Apple's high-end Pro Display XDR monitor. Released in December 2019, the Pro Display XDR has 6K resolution for Retina-quality content and starts at $4,999.

Apple discontinued the Intel-based 27-inch iMac and iMac Pro over the past few years, and has yet to launch a larger-screen iMac with an Apple silicon chip as a replacement. Instead, Apple offers the 27-inch Studio Display, which can be connected to the Mac Studio or another Mac with Apple silicon, but this is not an all-in-one solution like the iMac.

For now, the 24-inch iMac is the only all-in-one computer sold by Apple. The current model with the M1 chip was released in April 2021, and Gurman expects an updated model with a faster M3 chip to launch by early next year. All current Apple silicon chips are manufactured based on TSMC's 5nm process, while the M3 chip is expected to move to a 3nm process for significant performance and power efficiency improvements.

Article Link: Larger iMac With Around 32-Inch Display Reportedly in Early Testing

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I would have instant bought one last year… but I’ve already committed to Mac Studio now. Ultimately, this path will be cheaper in the long run assuming the Studio Display doesn’t become obsolete.
the studio display feels obsolete from the start unfortunately. im sure by the time I'm due for a new Mac Studio I'd want whatever new display was out too. that tech changes fast too these days

KaiFiMacFan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2023
Brooklyn, NY
This is definitely an interesting rumor. A couple questions:

-Given how pricey the 32" XDR display is, is this iMac going to feature a similar design and cost?
-If it does end up being 30" instead, will they release a stand-alone 30" monitor?
-Where does this fit in with the Studio + Studio Display? I feel like the pricing is going to be all over the place.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I would like to see a 32” Apple display that isn’t stratospherically priced. Doesn’t need to be 6K either. Perhaps something like this:

32-inch 16:9
5.6K at 5600x3150 (201 ppi) or else 5.7K at 5760x3240 (207 ppi)
8-bit + FRC (simulated 10-bit)
Wide colour with True Tone
Glossy screen (with Nano-texture glass option)
60 Hz
600 nits (no HDR)
Fixed stand (with adjustable stand and VESA mount options)
Camera with Center Stage
Six speakers with force cancelling woofers, Spatial Audio
4 x Thunderbolt 4 / USB 4
US$1999 / CA$2699 / 2199€

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
A 32" iMac is the only size that would encourage me to get another iMac. Will believe it when I see it and the price.

Having said that, by the time it comes around I think so many including myself will be settled into the BYOKMD setup that is so common now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.