Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
If there was crazy demand for the larger iMac then Apple most likely would have had it out by now. The prospect this larger iMac is still a year or more away leads me to suspect demand for it isn’t all that great beyond the fanbase on MacRumors.
It will become Apple's best-selling desktop computer instantly. Non-nerds like to hustle with cables even less than MacRumors fanboys.

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
We need a bigger screen size iMac.

I’d be willing to argue it’s more important than the 15 inch MacBook Air, because at least a larger screen model existed in the Pro 16 inch.

Nothing exists outside of the 24 inch iMac. You want bigger? You need a Mac mini or Mac Studio + a large screen.

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
If true, this debunks many peoples theory that the Mac Studio was supposed to replace the larger iMac.

My theory was that Apple wants to replace the iMac Pro and put a ProMotion XDR display into a 32in iMac with an M1 Ultra chip. That’s hard to do and likely takes some good engineering to make that happen. Apple is smart and likely saw that this product wouldn’t be viable until late 2024 and so they created the Mac Studio and display as options for now. I think the success of the studio means I may stay on as a new product but my theory was that the studio was not a permanent replacement for the larger iMac and iMac Pro.

Reactions: orbital~debris

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
These time frame guesstimates are infuriatingly slow, Apple must have one or maybe .5 persons working in this department.

The bottleneck is probably the display and price. Right now LG is the only supplier of IPS Black. Once more suppliers are onboard to drive down cost, Apple can launch.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
I recently got a 27 inch display (for 1st time) and funny or not but that's huge for me, I constanly move my neck to access the files on the right from desktop. I had a 34 wide display and I return it (I hate that thing, my neck hurts), so I now sure that anything more than 27 is not for me.

Reactions: BusanAA

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
That's almost too big.
All joking aside, I've found that size to be too big for my comfort. The 32" Monitor I had frustrated me. The distance I needed it away from my face so that I didn't feel I was constantly moving my eyes or head too much made me had to decrease the resolution (make everything bigger) that I lost any benefit of having it over a 27" that I could have closer but higher resolution.

J.J. Sefton

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2004
I've been fiending for a 32" iMac ever since they realized the Pro Display XDR. If this turns out to be a legit product, I'll buy one the day it's available.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Think it will be 30” and priced somewhere around 3799 to tempt the fence sitters with an expensive but not eye-watering upgrade.
30"-31.5" makes more sense to me for an iMac. In fact, back in the day, I had been predicting a 24" iMac and 29.5" ("30-inch class") iMac, but they ended up only releasing the 24".

I recently got a 27 inch display (for 1st time) and funny or not but that's huge for me, I constanly move my neck to access the files on the right from desktop. I had a 34 wide display and I return it (I hate that thing, my neck hurts), so I now sure that anything more than 27 is not for me.
Most people get used to it pretty quickly. I've had a 27" iMac since 2010 and that seems a touch smallish to me now, mainly because websites have gotten wider over the years. I like to have two browser windows or one browser window + one VPN window open side by side, and that just barely fits on a 5120/2560 pixel wide screen if you want to be able to see the icons on the side.

However, I find that at the 2560 (2X scaled) setting on the 27" Retina iMac, the default font sizing is a bit small. I'd prefer a physically bigger screen, even at the same resolution.

cicalinarrot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
Don’t do this to yourselves, guys.
Unless they finally let you use it with other devices, don’t buy a beautiful big screen that is destined to die when ANY of the parts of a stupidly unrepairable computer dies.
Buy a Mac Mini or a Studio and the display from someone else. Or you’ll find yourselves paying way too much to repair an aging computer because you want to save that screen. As a former repairman, I can guarantee that.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Gurman previously said Apple was developing a larger iMac with over a 30-inch display, and he has now specified that the display will be around the same 32-inch size as Apple's high-end Pro Display XDR monitor. Released in December 2019, the Pro Display XDR has 6K resolution for Retina-quality content and starts at $4,999.
Guess he will continue this rumor for several months.
Question still will be whether Apple actually selects 32" over 30"? A 32" is getting pretty big for a consumers desktop IMHO. The previous 27" iMac form factor could fit a 29.5" display and be called a 30" if Apple choose to market it. (The 24" iMac is using a 23.5" panel)

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
No it won't be cheaper. $1599 is an obscene price for a display without keyboard, mouse and bring-your-own-Mac.
I agree $1600 is obscene. Which is why I “only” paid $1300 for mine at Costco. Tack on $1500 for the Mac Studio and I’m sitting at $2800 (roughly what I paid for my last iMac 5K) for an M1Max that will likely last me 3-4 years. I’ll swap out the computer when the M3Max (or whatever Studio comes along) and keep the monitor.

So the long game saves me ~$2k and I don’t have to worry about trashing a perfectly good screen when the guts of the iMac are obsolete. I like them apples.

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸
Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 2.35.24 PM.png

I was right!!!! WOO HOO!!! (I'm taking this as a win)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
A high-end iMac released in 2025 would have to fit in with Apple's 2025 product lineup. By then, there might even be a lower-cost Vision Pro. (Called what, "Vision Amateur"?). So maybe we might expect not one but two video cameras for stereo, 3D video FaceTime.

There is also a lot more you can do with two cameras that can detect depth. For example, background replacement is easier and the iMac could detect hand gestures.

I can see 3D interfaces becoming a "thing" even if you don't have the 3D goggles.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

B-Mc-C

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2017
Irvine, California
I kind of feel a little bit scammed because last year Apple executives in follow-up interviews said there are no plans to do a larger screen iMac and 27” iMac users should buy the Studio instead. I bought the studio and studio display but much prefer the minimalist all-in-one setup of an iMac.

Reactions: ggoldstein66

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
A high-end iMac released in 2025 would have to fit in with Apple's 2025 product lineup. By then, there might even be a lower-cost Vision Pro. (Called what, "Vision Amateur"?). So maybe we might expect not one but two video cameras for stereo, 3D video FaceTime.

There is also a lot more you can do with two cameras that can detect depth. For example, background replacement is easier and the iMac could detect hand gestures.

I can see 3D interfaces becoming a "thing" even if you don't have the 3D goggles.
The name will probably be ‘Vision Air’ y.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.