Last Call: Deal for 3 Months of DirecTV Now and Apple TV 4K at No Cost Expires Today

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 8, 2018.

1. jhulgan macrumors newbie

jhulgan

Took advantage of this deal in May. It really is a steal and the dtvnow service is actually pretty good for the price too.

2. acorntoy macrumors 65816

I paid, got my ATV, cancelled my subscription, haven’t paid in over a month (after the prepaid months ended) and the service is still working :confused::eek:

3. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

Sorry, but the best sale for the Apple TV 4K 32GB was $125 a month ago on monoprice. This is still $20 cheaper.

4. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

Unless you think DirecTV is paying less than $105, then this would hurt DirecTV, right?

5. fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

If you don't want the service, it's worth paying $20 extra for the reduced hassle, unless signing up for the service then cancelling it is way easier than I expect. If it would take 1-2 hours of my time, nah.

6. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

That's how I did it!

7. coachgq, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2018

coachgq macrumors member

Takes 10 minutes, tops. All in. 10 minutes for $74 equals $444 an hour. If you make more than that, then you can pay the $179 and not think twice about it.

8. Saipher macrumors demi-god

Saipher

Decided to finally pull the trigger. Just got to remember to cancel before the 3 months is up!

9. coachgq macrumors member

Ju
    Just cancel once the ATV comes in. It will still work for 3 months.

10. imola.zhp macrumors 6502a

imola.zhp

Only thing that has held me back from using this promotion to upgrade my ATV4’s is the 32gb storage. Our 3 ATV4’s each have over 45gb’s used of 64gb(59.6). We don’t even have 4K TV’s yet so meh.

11. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I never said it was cheaper. Just on sale. My point is...I’m not going to give AT&T another penny of my money. Ever. I would pay more (wouldn’t be THAT much), than pay for any live tv service. I refuse to fuel this old model of being a slave to traditional tv service. As long as people are willing to hand over their money to watch commercials, it will live on. Be Best!

12. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 65816

Took advantage of this deal last night. TV 4K is just a bonus as parents were looking for something to replace DIRECTV. Service seems pretty good so far (fingers crossed) and fits 97% of what they need with this, Hulu, and CBS All-Access.

13. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Cord-cutter, reasonably successful here, three+ years

Will I be able to watch World Cup Football? Only reason I will signup for DirecTv anything.

Is there a disadvantage in getting the 32G ATV 4K; don't plan to use too many apps? Not even games like MineCraft.

14. jw2002 macrumors 6502

People are cutting the cord and not interested in entering into DirecTV contracts.

15. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

There is no contract.

16. Coffee50 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you should be able to watch World Cup football....I'm sure multiple networks will carry the games.

I went from a 64g 4th gen to the 32 4K (via the DTVN promo) and I have noticed any difference at all (I have all the exact same apps / games on this 32 G now)

In fact, Apple no longer sells the 64 version of the 4th gen. Just the 32 G.

You should be more than fine with 32G, even if you plan to use a decent amount of apps.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2018 ---
    I set a reminder 2 weeks before my 3 months is up, but you could technically cancel once you've received the device. It's yours to keep & even if you cancel early you'll still have access for the service for 3 months because you pre paid.

17. B4U macrumors 68020

B4U

Wait, I hope this does not mean the Apple TV will stop working after 3 months, right?

18. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Thank you.

19. aristobrat macrumors G5

Correct. The DTVN service stops working after 3 months if you cancel it when your Apple TV arrives. Nothing happens to your Apple TV, it continues to work.

20. gravage macrumors member

gravage

Amen, brother.

21. groadyho Suspended

groadyho

Or Dolby Atmos in Apple tv either. Had to go with Fire 4k tv yo enjoy my sound system
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2018 ---
    I got in in it too, from the beginning, I got the go big for $35 for life.

22. vipergts2207 macrumors 68020

vipergts2207

Though Atmos is coming in tvOS 12.

23. groadyho Suspended

groadyho

Just always too late to the party.

24. fairuz, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018

fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

It's going to end up being the same with all the different Internet-based TV services in due time, only with a better interface. Every rich company is trying to get original and exclusive content in anticipation.

Cable TV seems to have gotten worse with the ads, I'm guessing because they've only got really loyal people left they want to milk until they leave. Last time I tried watching it, I couldn't believe anything shown on TV (besides World Cup) would be worth so many ads AND payment. Especially hilarious are the movies on TV that you can find on Netflix anyway. I guess marketed towards people like my grandma who don't know how to use other things.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 9, 2018 ---
    World Cup is the only thing I've used cable TV for in 8 years. So glad I can just use my parent's subscription on ESPN2.com or whatever it's called now, cause otherwise I'd go to great lengths to watch it.

25. TooDarkPark Suspended

TooDarkPark

I bought three 4K ATVs before I was aware of this deal. I like DirecTV Now even though I have all the channels through Comcast already. Why? Because many of the channels I watch are already formatted to fit my screen and I don't have to change the aspect on my TV to get the picture to display properly PLUS i get a nice discount through AT&T.