Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Safari syncs my passwords, Chrome syncs my passwords, Firefox syncs my passwords, and Edge syncs my passwords.

Also, KeePass syncs my passwords everywhere, and it's free & open.

Why would I pay for these subscription services?

Evernote pulling this crap is exactly when I stopped using Everynote. With OneNote, Simplenote, Apple Notes, and Google Keep, I don't want to keep paying for something that others offer for free.

Reactions: tonyr6 and Okasian

slothinker

Contributor
Nov 28, 2012
Can I put in a word for an alternative? I've been happily using clipperz.is for about a decade. They take donations; no fees, no subscription. In fact they don't even know who you are.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
It boggles my mind how cheap some people are regarding things as crucial as security. We spend hundreds and thousands of $ on our tech hardware but can’t fathom paying a few $ a month for a service that provides a huge amount of functionality. The level of entitlement some feel is ridiculous.

If companies/developers can’t find a consistent stream of revenue to support their products, their products end up dying on the vine. You want a quality product, support that developer. If you go the free route, you have zero right to bitch and moan if that product ultimately goes away.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I switched to DataVault by Ascendo and never looked back. 1 price and no subscription. And it syncs across all my devices. I didn't really like the user interface on LastPass but kept the free version as a backup. It's ok, I just prefer DataVault's. Nice to see that LastPass is keeping at least one version free though. Nice touch for those who despise subscriptions like me.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Glad I migrated off there to Keychain months ago. Yeah Keychain is missing a few features, but nothing I've really missed.

Reactions: ^^BIGMac

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Have never understood why anyone would ever use a 3rd party password system - let alone one that charges money. Keychain has been a part of iOS and Mac for years and I have relied on it ever since. Save your $3 and actually learn about iOS and Mac OS… it’s almost like they were designed to be smart or something!!! ?‍♂️
Because some people need to use multiple OSes etc etc...

Snake50001

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
So I see they went the Google map route give sending away for free till you get a size will market share then start charging it also I been using 1Password no scription one payment back in the day I miss the days we could actually on own software And I have everything be in the cloud

ehrens

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2013
the 651
How does this affect one (read: me) who has a free LastPass account attached to their teams account?

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Time to jump ship. I've been using lastpass and keychain so my passwords are also available on other devices. I guess I can go all in on keychain now and just make due.

jk1221

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2021
Oh please shaming people for not wanting to spend money.

1. Lastpass is owned by Logmein with $1.3 BILLION in revenue last year. Their poor CEO's bonus!!! His son won't get his own island in French Polynesia for his birthday (if you get the reference awesome).

I'm fairly certain they make a huge chunk of chain on premium and corporate users that supports all of their costs.

2. What amount of resources exactly does it cost to let you use your passwords on mobile and PC? They're already hosting them!!! It costs $0 more to let you access it in 2 places. Sorry but that's a pitiful excuse limitation.

It's a cash grab, nothing more nothing less. And these are the shadiest type. f you want to do it for new users great, but to snub your old users into subscriptions that never goes well.

Love to go to Keychain but a few key issues:
No Mac so cannot import the huge list into Keychain
No Mac so cannot ever export the list (Which already needs workarounds and no native way).

There is a ton of work Apple needs to do if they want to make it truly cross-platform like basic functions for non-Mac users. In typically Apple fashion it is simply too locked down.

Last edited:

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I'd like to just use keychain, but it's not available on my chromebook, work PC, etc. I had Lastpass awhile ago but that's even more expensive and their "automatic password changing" is a joke with very obsolete list of supported sites. I guess $3/mo isn't bad for lastpass (the $27/yr is only for the first year)
Plenty of people out there use iOS devices, but a Windows computer as their PC. Keychain is not viable for this, since there's no solution to use it on Windows.

Keychain/iCloud Passwords can be used on Windows now. Have a look: https://www.macrumors.com/2021/02/01/apple-chrome-extension-icloud-passwords-windows/

Reactions: myscrnnm

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
Most people I know have already switched to Bitwarden. I'm still using KeePass - I almost switched to LastPass a few years ago, now I'm glad I didn't.

dsr1122

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
I've been a LastPass free user for years and love it cross platform. I was thinking of upgrading to the family plan so my wife and I have access to various shared accounts. Information about "family" friendly passwords managers is few and far between, what do other people use? I'm on a mac so obviously I use keychain too, but other than one-off airdropping of passwords, there's no good way to sync across multiple users.

Reactions: whatgift

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
I've never been a huge fan of LastPass. They've had a solid free option for a while but once you are willing to pay there are options that offer you a much more seamless and cohesive experience. And I feel like Bitwarden has just dethroned LastPass completely when it comes to offering the best free option.

Once you are willing to pay I find services like 1Password, Dashlane and Keeper to superior in pretty much every way.

And like many have said, if you are an Apple-only user Keychain is decent and it's free.

I've never liked Keychain. Compared to a decent password vault/manager like Bitwarden if you want to go free, or 1Passworld if you want to go premium and you will quickly experience how lacklustre keychain feels in comparison.

The only thing I miss from 1Password as of today is the capability of enforcing the need for using 2FA to unlock my password vault. It's only required the first time you set up 1Password on a new device. You won't need any kind of 2FA after the initial setup.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Isn't iCloud Keychain available for Chrome now? That should pretty much nix the need for these third party password managers.
If you want to use chrome. Many of us avoid it like the plague. But the plugin's should work on other browsers based on chromium such as Brave. So it could be an option.

trifster

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
I received the email about this around 1pm this afternoon. Though I understand it’s a business decision, I’m still quite disappointed that the new pricing model has been applied to everybody rather than just new users.

There’s very little point whinging and complaining about these things so I decided to do something constructive instead.

By 2pm I had the self-hosted version of BitWarden, complete with Premium features, up and running on my NAS. Not only running, but with all my passwords imported. In addition, I stopped using LastPass Authenticator and moved all my 2FA tokens over to BitWarden too.

So now I have all my passwords available to all of my devices, without storing them in the cloud. I’m confident my NAS is appropriately secure and I even have an improved 2FA workflow.

Thanks LastPass!

jk1221

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2021
Isn't iCloud Keychain available for Chrome now? That should pretty much nix the need for these third party password managers.

Sure but how do you get the passwords "innnn the computer" (Zoolander reference).

You can't import into Keychain and I'm not retyping hundreds of obscure passwords in. So big strike for Apple there with any non-Mac user off the bat.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Scipster

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2020
I use LastPass for work and 1Password for non-work so I get to use the two fairly regularly. Overall I have to say I like 1Password better overall. I do like the temporary sharing in LastPass when you need it, though.
Completely agree! 1Password tried to pull something similar a few years back, but quickly re-introduced the perpetual license. I'm curious if LastPass with follow suit.

1Password is great, especially when working cross-platform. If I was exclusively Mac & iOS, then I might consider keychain, but 1Password makes it easy to work between phone, desktop (pc), and MacBook. Plus, it has a few more bells and whistles such as the ability to customize the password formula, reports compromised sites/passwords, and allow you to view in large type (helpful when entering password into a different system).

j-beda

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2004
I just encountered this with a client. I have been recommending password database software that uses open formats (either "Password Safe" format or "KeePass" format) which gives a variety of choices for software implementations across all platforms. My current macOS and iOS favourite is "Strongbox" which is available for free with some "premium" features for not-free

Totally free is KeePassXC and it also has Android implementations

Here is how to get data out of LastPass or 1Password and into Strongbox/KeePassXC:

Reactions: k.alexander
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.