Late 08 MBP: LCD Manufacturers Codes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmarinheira, Oct 21, 2008.

1. rmarinheira macrumors member

How about start posting the LCD manufacturers Codes of the LAte 08 MBP so we can try to discover what LCD panels they have?

Regards

2. shoppy macrumors 6502a

My 2.5 new MBP is as follows Manufacture 00000610 model 00009C84

3. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

4. shoppy macrumors 6502a

G to system preferences/ display/colour/ colour lcd profile and go to open profile.It is in line no 13

5. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Mine has the same code, but I'm not certain who the manufacturer is.

6. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Would it be possible to list the codes along with the Manufacturer and relative qaulity?

Example:
    Samsung Code: xxx quality 7/10
    LG Code: xxx quality 9/10
    Chi Mei Code: xxx quality 4/10

7. ascender macrumors 68000

I have a 2.4 MBP here, bought last week from the Glasgow Apple Store.

Manufacturer: 00000610
    Model: 00009C85

8. sk47 macrumors member

Samsung and LG are both 9~10 out of 10. They are known as the best manufacturers of notebook panels globally, hence their prevalence in almost every laptop model.

Chi mei, from my experience with HDTVs, are not nearly as good and consistent.

9. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Well then, let's hope/pray for a Samsung or LG!

10. Simon Young macrumors member

MacBook Pro 2.56, bought from Grand Arcade Apple Store, Cambridge:

Manufacturer: 00000610
    Model: 00009C84

Pretty happy with the display although the very bottom is slightly dimmer and you can see a row of backlight hotspots there when viewed from a side angle.

11. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

man:00000610
    model: 00009C84

arden fair mall, 2.4ghz
    hopes mines samsun/lg

12. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Honestly I don't really care about who the manufacturer of my screen is. This 15" is way better than any of the 15" screens I saw on the previous generation 15". By far the truest white, crispest color, and most evenly lit of any of them. None of the yellowing and banding problems that I saw on four of the previous generation machines. It's about comparable with the 17" hi-res, maybe better except for the resolution. Results are what matters and this hardware revision finally makes some serious improvements in the build quality and display compared to previous 15" models.

13. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I agree, but... several users have been reporting that the lower end of the screen is faded/leeching, and there appears to be inconsistent reviews amongst people who know how to calibrate a screen. I'm a little worried that I may get stuck with a lemon because I ordered BTO and, from what I've been told, Apple stores can't swap parts because their inventory is different from that of the online store. :(

14. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

The display is one part, Apple stores should stock them and be able to swap them out with little effort.

In my Early 2007 MBP ( CCFL not LED backlight ) after 4 displays I have finally ended up with a AUO which is quite nice. The absolute worst were the Chi-Mei models that were crappy enough to begin with before the dust got under the seals.

AUO finally went to dual CCFL's in their units making this display a good 30% brighter than my original.

I can't seem to find the work people did on the 15" MBP's in the past to link up the codes with manufacturer. The general conclusion is that the LG's are the current tops with the other in varying levels below them.

15. sk47 macrumors member

Samsung has always been tied at the top with LG in terms of panel quality. However, when speaking of S-IPS panels, LG seems to be the ONLY manufacturer hence the reason why they are known as the standard "high-quality" panel manufacturer. But it boils down to notebook and general consumer (not prosumer) displays, LG is NOT superior to Samsung and neither is Samsung superior to LG. Both are great, so just hope for either screens.

16. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

How can you substantiate that claim? Have you ordered a BTO online and then repaired it at the Apple store shortly after receiving it? There was another thread on here where someone ordered the 2.8MBP BTO and was told that he had to ship it back for a replacement part. I really hope that doesn't happen to me :(

Additionally, can anyone verify that three different manufacturers are indeed being used? So far, everyone seems to be posting the same part number. Thanks for all the helpful replies!

17. twotontito macrumors member

My MBP doesn't list a code for either. What does that mean?

18. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

There is one part for the whole top of the case and it's the same across every 15" unibody MBP ( this is true for the last 2 gens of MBP as well, they don't replace the screen they replace the whole top of the case ). The reason he probably needed to ship it back was the local store did not stock the part in question which failed... if it was a motherboard failure I could see why the store does not stock a BTO unique part at this point, but they would have to be stupid not to stock the displays. If they don't stock the displays you would not have been any better off in the store since they would have to ship it out anyways for a display problem.

19. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

It means you're looking in the wrong place (i did the exact same thing).

You have to actually click on line-13 in your color profile...it makes sense once you try it.

20. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

Actually I disagree with you here, I was one of the lucky ones when the whole screen fiasco happened during the intial SR MBP release. I ordered mine the day ofthe release and received asamsung in mine that just happened to be perfect but the majority of people getting the samsung display in theirs came with dead pixels and a yellow tint to them. There was even a poll here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=340679
    So the LG models were statistically superior at that time based on users reporting their issues. I do not know what it is like now, but then the LG was the holy grail.

21. bcaslis macrumors 68020

No screen is 100% perfect, even the most expensive desktop screens. But the quality on the new MBP is way better than the previous generation on every one I've seen including my own. I ended up returning four of the previous 15" MBPs and getting a 17" hi-res in disgust over the situation. But the new 15" is clearly way better. I wouldn't be too worried about it. It's always possible you get a bad one for any machine. Apple stores can't swap the machine if it a BTO, but they will repair it with a different screen if you complain and convince them it's not right.

22. twotontito macrumors member

Ahh. Thanks. You were right.

23. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

Actually I agree that you could always get a bad one with anything but people are reporting numbers of the new MBP having like 50% poor quality screens in the Apple stores right now. I even went to my local store here and noticed the same thing about half of them on display were much worse than the SR ones I remembered and don't hold a candle to my current MBP or even my Dell display screens. The ones there that were nice, were exceptionally nice but it is a lottery now when you buy a MBP as to what screen you will actually get. It is a lowest bidder bin on the manufacturing floor as to what vendor supplied he screen that week which will go into your machine build.

24. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Can you please provide some evidence for this that is not anecdotal?

25. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

Sure here you go http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=585810

The in person viewing in the Apple store that I did, you will have to take my word on that cause I have no evidene unless I go back to the store and try to take digital pics of the screens but I am not sure they will show enough detail to be of value. Guess I could try if someone wants as I am planning on going back there over the weeked.