Late 2011 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ironsoccerman, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Ironsoccerman macrumors member

Hello Macrumorinetions...

I know that most of you have seen the article from about two days ago on the front page, of how there will probably be a fall 2011 PROCESSOR bump.

My take-
    in all of the models, they introduce bluetooth 4.1 at the minimum...
    and maybe (MAYBE) they add usb 3.0. there was an article about usb 3.0 earlier this month and how apple might adopt it before intel.

I know theres a million threads but this is my take

Thanks

2. psykick5 macrumors 6502

No. When they mean processor bump they mean just the processor. If it happens it's not a full refresh. They've done a similar move in the past.

3. ihji macrumors newbie

Default screen resolution of 13 inch lines will also be increased. ODD drop out is unlikely to happen in late 2011 refresh.

4. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

We don't know this until it actually happens or there are part leaks. Unless I've completely missed or misread a news article.

5. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Probably just a processor spec upgrade. No redesign etc.

Who knows though, the super event coming up with iPhone 4, iPod Touch etc could be a hardware event where we do see a new design etc.

6. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

When is the event scheduled for?

7. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

It's like how they bumped the 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo MBPs to 2.66GHz. Nothing big, just keeping up with Intel's inventories.

8. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

No one but Apple knows.

9. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Late 2011 MacBook Pro across the board 13", 15" & 17" will have...

Liquid Metal Body
    1/10 of an Inch Thinner
    1/2 Pound Lighter
    CD Drive Removed
    Bluetooth 4.1
    USB 3.0

10. ihji macrumors newbie

Absolutely not.

11. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Absolutely, positively, most certainly _Not_

A meager CPU bump only. :)

12. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

n00b

13. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Hahaha

-Steve

Sent from my iPhone

14. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Jeez, you guys are confusing a refresh for a performance bump!
    The specs will stay exactly the same. Only the processors will change if this bump actually happens.
    IMO Apple won't go for the bump, because all of the new processors lack vPro. The performance gains are negligible, and the lack of vPro means less business options and a hit on security. Also, the lack of vPro probably means FileVault performance will be decreased.

But if :apple: does go for it, then it'll be a mild boost of 0.1-0.2Ghz per processor.

15. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Laugh now, I'll be laughing later...

It sure would suck to buy the very last release of the old case design.

Especially when Liquid Metal will bring a Lighter and Scratch Resistant Case. :D

16. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Do you really think Apple will pay tens of millions in royalties to Liquidmetal Technologies just to marginally improve the already superb build quality of the current MacBook Pro?

Do you really think Apple will do this in the next 3 years?

Also, as I own a Cruzer Titanium (Liquidmetal casing Cruzer drive), I can tell you that it's actually fairly heavy for a flash drive its size.

17. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

They already have. Do you research!

Tens of millions isn't that much when you have 77 Billion in cash reserves. ;)

Most flash drive casings are made of plastic, so yes it's not surprising that your Liquid Metal Flash Drive feels heavier.

18. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

*sigh* you obviously misunderstood what I said...
    The company's total assets are 77 billion. Which includes subsidiaries, patents, rights, buildings, etc. It does not represent cash reserves. Their reserves are much, much smaller, which is also divided into departments, such that only a small fraction goes to Mac casing development.
    Also, they *HAVE NOT* researched a liquidmetal casing! Do YOUR research and look at reality! They're incorporating liquidmetal alloys into their BATTERIES.
    Your ignorant fantasies annoy me...

Compared to an ALUMINUM casing, the liquidmetal casing was HEAVIER. Why the hell would I compare a plastic drive to a liquidmetal drive? Major derp on your part.

Liquidmetal is still an experimental material. Research is still being done on it. It will probably be used as Mac casing material by 2014. Not only that, the current casing is *carved* from a single block of aluminum. The same process cannot be used with liquidmetal, it is inefficient. The unibody construction will be no more, replaced by cast liquidmetal. And Apple won't want to abandon the hallmark design of the unibody. Stop fantasizing and face reality; liquidmetal MacBook Pros aren't happening for a while.

19. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Current MacBook Pro

Recommendation: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle

Last Release: February 24, 2011

Days Since Update 203 (Avg = 215)

20. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Interesting. Here's a compare breakdown:

Compare Intel Products

Didn't notice the vPro difference. FileVault performance is driven by AES-NI, though, not vPro.

21. MacSince1990 macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

The only times they really ever did this was towards the end of the PowerPC G4's lifetime... they were desperate to get any kind of improvement in because sales were flagging due to how horribly outclassed the poor old G4 was compared to the Core Duos, so they did things like include resolution bumps and new features along with a 167 MHz CPU bump :/

Not that it's the G4's fault... they were five years old at that point... and based on an 8 year old architecture (the G3), with an FPU based on an even older, 11 year old architecture (the PPC 604e). Plus they were running on a 130 nm process while the PC industry was running at 90 nm... on a chip with only seven pipeline stages. . .

Anyway, not gonna happen.

22. randallw macrumors member

I'm going to be laughing just as much when the 2011 Aluminum Unibody's come out as when May 22nd came around and Harold Camping's "end of the world" prediction was wrong.

Liquid Metal designs are NOT happening this fall. =P

23. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I see you have edited your response.
    Let me post the embarrassing original reply.

First of all, the MacBook Pro Unibody is on a 10-month cycle, a change from the 7-month cycle of the past. There's a good 120 days before a full refresh is probable.

Second. I'm butthurt because my MacBook Pro is becoming outdated?
    That's just funny. lol
    I paid $2800 for guaranteed future proofing that will probably last 8 years before I notice lag. I invested in a laptop that will never grow old, and you call me butthurt by the passage of time. rofl
    If I am a person to be jealous over such silly things, then I would have bought a cheap PC and replaced it every 6 months.
    What a fool, blinded by his own dreams. Such a radical redesign won't happen in an instant. Also, Apple will not change its hallmark design that easily.

What you also don't realize is that Liquidmetal is absolutely horrible when it comes to drops. If you dropped a Liquidmetal laptop on the floor, it would BOUNCE. Which means massive physical shock for the screen internal components, hard drive, you name it.

If Apple found an impact-absorbent metal alloy, that would most likely be implemented in an instant.

Third and final, they are NOT REFRESHING DURING A PRODUCT CYCLE. @.@ use your freaking brain! What possibly could be near is a *processor bump*, nothing more.

Ah, then it might be a possibility.
    Also thought AES-NI was a part of the vPro suite, but apparently it's not and I'm wrong. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

24. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

No problem. Nice catch on vPro being removed on the 2x60QM series processors. What a random thing to pull...wonder what Intel's reasoning is for that? :confused:

25. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

They will not add USB3 support since it'll require a bit of re-engineering work. The chipset as current core i processors (sandy bridge) does not support USB3.

Addition of bluetooth 4.x is possible, if not probable.

My expectation is that, if the 2011 spec bump happens that is, Apple will merely add more CPU CTO upgrades, but only for the upper 15" and 17" models.