Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
Thanks for the info Prodo123

If the base 13" model can deal with my files appropriately right now (300-500MB photoshop cs5 is what my current MBP can't cope with) then I am probably in a position where I should go ahead as any waiting will also slow down my productivity. I've always bought at the start of product cycles though and I know if a new one comes next month, I will be kind of disappointed.

The base 13" model would be fine. Only thing i would recommend is maybe upgrading to 8gb since it is dirt cheap. Even your current one might be ok if you max out the memory.

tombarton

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2011
When i say i need a mbp i don't need one now as such but i can't wait until 2012 for the next gen. What i would really like to know is if the 13" base model will actually see an upgrade? I'm hearing that it could only be the quad cores that are upgraded? Any news on this? I honestly think i'm going to wait. The £65 gift card isn't a massive selling point for me but i also don't want to be waiting until november for the refresh! I would be very annoyed to buy now only for the refresh to include a screen resolution upgrade and bigger standard hard drives.

Quinoky

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2011
Groningen, Netherlands
As my grumpy old 20" C2D iMac (the first alu) needs desperate replacement, I am also looking towards the 15" MacBook Pro. In contrast to most sentiments expressed here, the design change rumored to take place in 2012 actually doesn't bother me. This is because if the rumors are to be believed, the optical bay will be removed which allows for a thinner body. For me, however, I need that optical bay. Not for CD's or DVD's, but for extra storage (optibay) since I definitely want an SSD. Since I don't expect 512GB SSD prices to come down significantly by 2012, the current design is a perfect solution for me: 128GB SSD on the SATA III connector and the stock 750GB HDD in the optibay. :) I will therefore wait until October to see whether Apple gives it a spec bump, and otherwise I'll just buy the current version by that time.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Well, than that's fine, 'cause all i want is one of the two, but the two together would be great :p

1) Redesign
2) Ivy Bridge

I would probably wait for the redesign. Whilst the current ones might fit my needs, my own testing shows that in about 3 months, it will not.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I would probably wait for the redesign. Whilst the current ones might fit my needs, my own testing shows that in about 3 months, it will not.
I'm getting tired with Apple not changing the look of the Macbook Pro, it's the same look all the time. The redesigned look would be great. Then I'll purchase.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I'm getting tired with Apple not changing the look of the Macbook Pro, it's the same look all the time. The redesigned look would be great. Then I'll purchase.

I think I'll make the decision to purchase solely on my needs not looks.

What matters is the inside, not the outside.

Quinoky

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2011
Groningen, Netherlands
I think I'll make the decision to purchase solely on my needs not looks.

What matters is the inside, not the outside.

Honestly, this attitude is what makes people buy those cheap plastic Dell, HP, Asus etc. laptops. You can get much better specs for much less with these crappy Windows things, but you won't get the looks and exceptional build quality of the MacBook Pro. This is why I'd rather have the MBP: the outside. Not the great specifications since I could get much better insides for much cheaper elsewhere.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Honestly, this attitude is what makes people buy those cheap plastic Dell, HP, Asus etc. laptops. You can get much better specs for much less with these crappy Windows things, but you won't get the looks and exceptional build quality of the MacBook Pro. This is why I'd rather have the MBP: the outside. Not the great specifications since I could get much better insides for much cheaper elsewhere.

They don't fit my specifications, unless they can run Xcode.

I have a laptop from 2005, runs Windows 7 well, and wasn't top quality then. Not all Windows laptops are crappy. I don't look at the looks, I look at the reliability.

If I wanted something rugged, I wouldn't go with the MacBook Pro.

Interestingly, dropping an MacBook Pro can dent or bend it, not with most plastic ones, this old laptop has been down the stairs several times, still works, not bent and nothing's broken

Honestly, it's not all about the looks.

tombarton

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2011
Should I hang on to buy my MBP then or is hope of a refresh before Christmas gone after the recent unveiling of the 4S mentioned nothing about a new MBP?

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Whoever first thought of a late 2011 MacBook Pro "refresh" or spec bump, I want to punch him in the face right now.
There is no hope of a 2011 spec bump/refresh.
Keep on dreaming.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
refresh with what? i don't know what processor is on the market now that they would put into the computer instead.

Quinoky

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2011
Groningen, Netherlands
The irrationality upgrading to those processors have been discussed on a million other threads.

It doesn't take away the fact that it's possible, however, and it would make sense in my opinion. I agree that calling it a refresh would be way too much. But a spec bump, why not? It won't be until at least March 2012 before Ivy Bridge arrives, that is long past the longest MBP cycle yet (and that's even IF the MBP is released simultaneously).

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
It doesn't take away the fact that it's possible, however, and it would make sense in my opinion. I agree that calling it a refresh would be way too much. But a spec bump, why not? It won't be until at least March 2012 before Ivy Bridge arrives, that is long past the longest MBP cycle yet (and that's even IF the MBP is released simultaneously).

They are not adding to manufacturing costs for a marginal and minimal performance boost. Apple will reserve these processors in the event that Ivy Bridge is delayed; until then, they will continue to work on the gigantic stock of 2630QM, 2720QM and 2820QM. By the time the stock is low enough for a spec bump, however, the product cycle will have advanced too far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.