Late 2013 iMac Has The Same Wifi Issues Like The MacBook Air

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gregpod9, Oct 3, 2013.

1. gregpod9 macrumors regular

Today I received my 21.5" Base iMac with the 256Gb SSD upgrade as a replacement from the MacBook Air that I returned last week because of its WiFi issues like long latency times. My iMac has the same issue and the pictures are proof. I'm using a Netgear WNDR4500 router. I will be returning the iMac tomorrow.

Attached Files:

2. Hamburger macrumors regular

i have exactly the same new imac and no wifi problems whatsoever.
    good luck.
    so your wifi works ok with other devices?

3. bluescale macrumors member

After seeing this, I decided to test my network connection, and saw I was getting very similarly slow pings. I did a reboot of my router, and now I'm getting this:

Ping has started…

PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.822 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.906 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.995 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.992 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.747 ms

--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
    5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.747/0.892/0.995/0.097 ms​

I have a WNDR3700

4. gregpod9 thread starter macrumors regular

Are using OS X 10.8.5?

5. bluescale macrumors member

Yep. Installed the update first thing after taking delivery of the iMac last night.

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

WTF? The latency is entirely up to your router. Why don't you return your router?

7. bluescale macrumors member

No, my results show less than 1ms latency. He is getting ~100ms latency which is indeed too high. Take a look at the image in the first post. That shows the OP issue. If I had to guess, I'd assume other machines on the network are not experiencing such latency issues.

If a reboot of the router doesn't do the trick, it might be worth changing the channel 5GHz is broadcasting on. From my experience, that has more impact on throughput, but it can impact latency.

8. interstella macrumors regular

interstella

And the chance of getting two computers in a week with the same problem is...?

9. Erphern macrumors 6502

Similar poor latency here too, going to a new AirPort Extreme. I'll try rebooting the router tomorrow. I haven't noticed terrible throughput, but I haven't yet measured that.

I haven't been following the issue closely; do we think it's an issue that can be fixed with software?

10. gregpod9 thread starter macrumors regular

Rebooting my router did not help, changing the channel on 5GHz did not help and resetting it to factory settings did not help. I already packed the iMac back in the box and will ship it to back to Apple tomorrow.

11. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

I've heard of this radical new technology coming out where you'll be able to deliver your internet connection directly into your computer with a physical cable for a faster, more secure, more reliable connection.

Seriously, why are people using wifi in their homes? All your woes are your own fault. Apple is not a god, meaning you shouldn't have expected them or anybody to provide wireless capabilities that are on par with the reliability and consistency of wired ones.

12. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502

My internet is working much better on my 27" iMac that just got delivered than my 2011 MBA it is replacing.

I use Wifi in my house because the way the phone/cable lines are set up will require me to run an ethernet cable across a significant distance to actually plug into my computer. Fortunately I get the same speed on Wifi as on Ethernet (I've tested it).

13. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

Running an ethernet cable through the wall and having ethernet jacks created near your computer is not a big deal. Unless you're only planning to be in that house for another couple months or something.

14. Serban Suspended

I have the same connection wired or wireless. I think the wifi from macs are working very well with the new Airport/time capsule

15. Erphern macrumors 6502

We don't all live in shoebox-sized houses.

Anyway:

Despite seeing some sketchy latency when testing a bit last night, I've noticed that the actual WiFi performance seems to be very good indeed.

I'm not sure whether it's coincidence or not, but the latency of running pings during other network activity seems to drop to very acceptable levels - I wonder whether it's some sort of power-saving thing?

It's not like the TTL is expiring. I'm not yet concerned.

16. bluescale macrumors member

That's not a solution, that's a workaround. 801.11ac is one of the features of this machine, and it's reasonable to expect it to work properly. Fortunately, from what I can tell for most of us it works. I don't see an implementation issues from Apple's side.

17. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

Shoebox-sized house? Ever heard of long ethernet cables and a LITTLE bit of effort?

----------

No. Using wireless internet in your own home is a workaround for not having a cable conveniently located where your computer is.

18. bluescale macrumors member

No. There are two viable networking solutions. You should be free to use the one that meets your needs. If the WiFi spec for your computer and router meet your networking needs, it's reasonable to expect that to be your solution. Abandoning it and running a cable is a workaround, not a solution.

I manage a team of Backline engineers for Enterprise software. Settling for workaround is the easy way out. You have to solve for people's needs/requirements (within reason). It's something I preach to my engineers, and it's something I preach to our developers.

19. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

You're arguing against the scientific difference in reliability and consistency between wired and wireless connections.

Using a wireless connection because it would be a bit of work to Set Up A More Reliable Connection is a workaround. It's not a viable choice alongside wired. Having companies sell it as such, and wishing that it was, doesn't change scientific facts.

20. Erphern macrumors 6502

It's almost not worth replying; you seem to be in Luddite mode.

Why on earth would a technology such as 802.11ac exist if not to be used to eliminate the necessity for running cable? It's part of why I bought the damn thing!

It'd be more than a little bit of effort for me to run twisted pair from one end of the house to the other.

21. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

I don't know what your definition of "effort" is. It seems you just really don't want to do that, so it would seem like a lot of effort to you.

802.11ac does exist to eliminate the necessity for running cable, it's just that the necessity for running a cable isn't a great inconvenience when put up against having a less secure, less reliable connection.

And it is less secure and reliable by virtue of the laws of science. It's nobody's fault. You all knew when wireless internet started that it's not going to be as infallible as a physical cable......... you did know that, right?

22. Erphern macrumors 6502

Yup. I'm reasonably familiar with the properties of copper, fiber, wireless, etc. But really, come on. It's 2013. Arguing against the use of WiFi is ridiculous - unless you have requirements that make ethernet the only valid option (production systems, low-latency applications, etc.).

23. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

What does the fact that it's 2013 have to do with choosing a more reliable and secure internet connection?

IF wireless were identical in quality to wired...

OR it was a really huge hassle to have a wired connection...

THEN it would be logical to advocate for wireless.

Until then...

24. bluescale macrumors member

Saying WiFi is viable does not mean it is equal to wired. It means it is capable of working successfully. With that in mind, I'll make this very simple for you:

Pinging your router over WiFi should not take in the neighborhood of 100ms. If it does, something is wonky.

25. fhopper macrumors member

fhopper

Why would anyone have any router other than a new 802.11 ac? Why would any Apple product owner have any router other than an Airport Extreme. Me thinks issues are not the fault of Apple.