Late 2016 MacBook Pro 13" + Thunderbolt 3 eGPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theitsage, Oct 28, 2016.

1. sneak3 macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Now I just need to know if the core work without external monitor in macbooks that have discrete graphics. :)

2. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Do you mean 3D acceleration or OpenCL?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 24, 2016 ---
    This is so confusing and contradictory...

3. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

Just a quick note that I have my eGPU working well in Windows 10 on the internal screen on my 2016 nTB MBP (16GB RAM/512GB SSD).

I had error 12 in the beginning and had to use a DSDT override to fix it. I got it working, but for some reason when I am running with the override I get no sound. Nothing comes out of my MBP's speakers or headphones, even when setting them as the main output. As soon as I turn the override off, the sound comes back.

My config is an Akitio Thunder2 with a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mini 4GB by Zotac. I have the mini version of the GPU so I don't need a 6 pin power supply and can run it with just the Akitio case and a larger external power supply I bought. It looks nice and sleek and melds in well on my desk. No exposed GPUs or wires.

Because the Thunder2 is TB2 I'm using Apple's TB3 to TB2 adapter. It seems to work well, but of course I'm not getting speeds any faster than when I have the eGPU hooked up to my 2014 mini because the Thunder2 is TB2.

It's been a fun experiment, but for now I'll just stick to using my eGPU with my mini and then streaming over Steam, which works quite well on my LAN. When I eventually replace my Thunderbolt Display and get a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure, and fix the sound issue, I'll probably get rid of the mini and just use the nTB MBP as all I use the mini for right now is gaming.

4. theitsage thread starter Suspended

You quoted me out of context. The most up-to-date info I can provide with eGPU builds on the 2016 MacBook Pro is as followed:

• Working with Thunder2 enclosure through Apple TB3 <--> TB2 adapter in both macOS and Windows - Thunderbolt 2 speed.
    • Only external screen output/not functional with Thunder3 (TI82 controller) enclosure in macOS, working well in Windows - Thunderbolt 3 speed.
    • Not working with Node (TI83 controller) enclosure in macOS, working in Windows - Thunderbolt 3 speed.

5. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

There will be updated TB3 chipsets with proper certification. Elgato and OWC are working at it now. eGPU will always require the hacks to work under macOS though.

6. Muadi macrumors newbie

Does the GTX 1060 or 1070 work as an eGPU or is it only the RX series right now?

7. bootz macrumors member

This sounds like a cool project. I was thinking about trying it with my i7 mid-2012 rMBP, but it sounds like I wouldn't be able to use my internal display due to the dual graphics in my laptop?

8. Acronyc, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017

Acronyc macrumors 6502a

I had a mid 2012 15" rMBP before getting the 2016 nTB 13" MBP and I never got the eGPU to work with the internal screen on the 2012. From my research it's because the 2012 has a dedicated GPU. I thought I read somewhere that somebody got it working by disabling the dedicated GPU and I messed around with it for a bit but never got it working right. With the 2016, it was pretty easy to get it working with the internal display.

Both work great though with external displays, and if you have an external display your 2012 will work great with an eGPU.

9. Lou-X macrumors member

Lou-X

Can a egpu solution make the 13 ntb handle more external monitors than the officially supported number?

10. cube macrumors P6

Each eGPU will enable as many additional displays as it can support itself.

But you might run out of bandwidth depending on what you do (eg, sending 1x full screen uncompressed 4K@60 video to the card will be more than what TB1 can support so it will stutter).

11. Lou-X macrumors member

Lou-X

Let's say I setup one tb3 port with a dock like the owc one, with 2 external monitors plugged in.

Can I use the other port with the egpu and attach eventually another 1/2 monitors?

12. cube macrumors P6

I tested my 2011 MBP with 1 built-in display + 1 built-in external (dock) + 2 displays from 1 eGPU.

13. Lou-X macrumors member

Lou-X

That's nice, so basically using tb3 should have enough bandwidth for this setup, also with some 4k display.

Thanks for your feedback

14. cube macrumors P6

I have some sleep issue with my eGPU on the Mac. I will try using some software to prevent sleep.

15. Patrick-Photo macrumors regular

Luckily Thunderbolt 3 is around 4 times faster than Thunderbolt 1...

16. cube macrumors P6

Yes, but I think for example that it should support around 3x 4k@60 uncompressed video streams, not 6.

17. sneak3 macrumors 6502a

18. theitsage thread starter Suspended

Only in Windows. There's a trick by using a display adapter-to-no-where to make the eGPU accelerate an app in window mode, then drag it into the internal display in macOS - details here.

Another update on AKiTiO Node eGPU - it is now working with all 3 generations of Thunderbolt Macs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. sneak3 macrumors 6502a

Do you think that scene is gonna change anytime soon? I mean, eGPU with internal display in OSX without having an external monitor at all, even for the trick?

And I'm guessing that's a macOS limitation, correct? Even with the Razer Core, result would be the same?

20. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

But is 3D acceleration working (on 2016)?

21. theitsage thread starter Suspended

Without Apple's blessing it's not changing as quick as we would like. The AKiTiO Node is the best eGPU enclosure for a Mac atm the moment. With the latest firmware, all you have to do is automate-eGPU script by Goalque and it's ready to go. Older Thunderbolt 3 enclosures such as the Razer Core and Thunder3 have unsupported Thunderbolt controllers so you need to run TB3-enabler first.

Yes it is working on the Late 2016 MacBook Pro. Here's a detailed post with video and benchmarks on Thunderbolt eGPU for Mac.

22. sneak3, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017

sneak3 macrumors 6502a

Thanks!

23. mctrials23 macrumors 6502

I would like to run 2 5K displays on my macbook pro 2016 13" and have the MBP in clamshell mode while I do this. Is this something that an eGPU would enable me to do?

24. egpumac macrumors newbie

Can some one post results of Rift or Vive with MBP 13 + eGPU? How the connections will be (windows on external drive, USB connections for VR head set, charging the laptop).

Which eGPU enclosure would be good with this setup? Akitio Thunder3 or Node?

Would 8GB RAM on MBP be sufficient or its safe to go 16GB?

In this video he's tried a TB2 with TB2 eGPU enclosure, and gets 75 FPS on Oculus. Its a 2014 15' MBP with TB2.

Sorry about too many questions, I tried searching but could not find answers for all my questions.