Latest ARKit Demo Showcases Virtual Drawing

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 9, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ahead of the launch of iOS 11, developers have been tinkering with ARKit, Apple's upcoming augmented reality platform, and showcasing the myriad ways that it can be used in apps and games.

The latest demo comes courtesy of Osama Abdel-Karim, who uses ARKit to virtually paint on a notepad using his fingers.

According to Abdel-Karim, an iOS 11 library named Vision was used to develop the virtual drawing feature. Vision includes an object tracking feature that is able to detect the thumbnail of a finger and track its movement to enable the drawing.

Abdel-Karim has outlined the steps he used to create his ARKit demo and provided the full source code for the project.

When it launches this fall, ARKit is positioned to become the largest AR Platform in the world, using the camera, processors, and motion sensors in the iPhone and iPad to create some incredibly impressive augmented reality interactions.

As outlined in our video covering ARKit, the feature uses technology called Visual Inertial Odometry to track the world around an iPad or iPhone, allowing a device to sense how it moves in a room. ARKit automatically analyzes a room's layout, detecting horizontal planes like tables and floors, which then allows virtual objects to be placed upon those surfaces.

The first apps and games with ARKit won't be available until iOS 11 is officially available to the public, but we've seen what ARKit can be used for, with developers demonstrating everything from live filter applications in a recreation of A-ha's Take On Me video to live measurements of furniture and room spaces.

Check out all of our previous ARKit coverage below to see what else developers can do with it:

- ARKit Roundup: Turn-by-Turn Directions, Precise Room Measurements, and Pac-Man
    - Apple's ARKit Used to Recreate Classic A-ha 'Take On Me' Video
    - Apple Users' Mixed Reality Future Teased in Latest ARKit Demo
    - Latest Apps to Showcase Apple's ARKit Include Simple Measuring Tape and Minecraft
    - Developers Share First Augmented Reality Creations Using Apple's ARKit

Article Link: Latest ARKit Demo Showcases Virtual Drawing

2. Zirel, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

Zirel Suspended

Zirel

“Sure Apple is behind in VR/AR, Microsoft and Google are so much advanced because they released a couple of juicy press releases and pretty demos in controlled environments.”

3. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

This is so cool. Every time I see these demos I get excited about the possibilities.

4. icrude macrumors regular

Really thought he was going to draw something else.

5. Yojimbo007 macrumors 6502

Yojimbo007

6. naeS1Sean macrumors 6502a

naeS1Sean

These things make me want AR glasses again...

...Or a brain implant.

7. xero9 macrumors 6502a

When Apple announced iOS 11 I thought it was pretty dull except for the changes to the iPad, but ARKit is something else now that we see it in action! Can't wait for the official release so apps will be on the App Store with it.

8. melgross macrumors 6502

It’s frustrating that Apple doesn’t have a beta section up in the App Store. In situations like this, where I run the iOS betas, I would love to have some of these AR betas on my iPad to play with, knowing, that since they are betas, that they might crash, or otherwise not function properly.

9. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

I'm definitely excited for the future apps that might take full advantage of this!
    I suppose I gotta keep my wallet ready for iPhone 8, as well a number of new apps I never thought I wanted before. :)

Quick question, do we have any rumours on what base storage will be offered with 8?

10. agsystems macrumors 6502a

oh my - this is really crazy - the app store will be filled with apps on day 1 - sure some of them will be crap but they will be some amazing stuff for IOS users to enjoy - a huge leg up on the competition
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2017 ---
    sounds like they are going with 64GB and 256GB - giving we have 3 models with multiple permutations that should help with supply at least for the S models.

11. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

Call me a pessimist, but I just don't see any practical use in real life, nothing more than a gimmick, just like holograms when they showed them in Star Wars, 40 years later no practical use for everyday.

Don't get me wrong, nice to see companies investing in new technologies, but just because it's new and flashy, doesn't mean it's useful, and yes, like every new thing it will have a niche, but not an everyday use for regular people.

12. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

13. FactVsOpinion macrumors 6502

What?!

14. filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

Me too. Why are our minds wired to assume these things?

15. FactVsOpinion, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

FactVsOpinion macrumors 6502

Couldn't disagree more.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2017 ---
    I think the lenses will certainly come. And then years later, an implant; perhaps from Musk's comapny

16. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

17. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Maybe they can use that new laser module to burn print these drawings onto pieces of paper and make them real!

/s

18. berrymetal macrumors member

berrymetal

ARkit will make the city from “Ghost in the Shell” a reality... I can’t wait to have a huge koi fish spinning around my apartment.

19. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

In a few of my other post regarding AR I said I expect Apple to have something big up their sleeves, I think AR will be used in Maps.

20. tkukoc macrumors 6502a

tkukoc

AR is still one of the very few techie things I just do not understand. I've seen so many demos of this stuff and gone through several training's on how to program, yet it bores me. I'm glad people are excited about something.. but again I just don't do not get it at all.

21. L-U-R-C-H macrumors regular

L-U-R-C-H

It's pretty cool, but you gotta hold your phone and draw at the same time?

22. wigby macrumors 65816

I agree. Apple's AR demo was almost too advanced so it felt pre-rendered and out of reach for developers that don't have millions of dollars and a huge team of artists at their disposal. These Youtube videos are so much more compelling because it gives all the little developers hope that they can compete in the app store providing they are clever enough. I hope we get a lot of little guys that rise to the top because of AR.

23. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

You have a big heart then!

24. wigby macrumors 65816

Depends on how you define 'practical'. Are games practical? AR games are going to be a multi-billion dollar business alone.

25. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Wow! As an Industrial Designer this is exciting, imagine being able to export that 3D shape to .stl and 3D-print it.