iPhone X Latest & greatest...for only 4 or 5 months?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ralfi, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Ralfi macrumors 68000

Ralfi

It appears as though the iPhone's main competitor (Samsung Galaxy) may become available to the public by March, meaning Apple's flagship X will only hold the 'latest & greatest (debatable)' tag for less than half a year.

If the 2018 iPhone is available to buy around the same time, then the Galaxy S9 will have at least 3 more months of making headlines/dominating tech websites/blogs/YouTube etc....having the limelight of being the best & most refined mobile device.

I'm sure many won't care (& shouldn't, so long as they're happy with their device), but from a business perspective as oppose to a consumer one, wouldn't Apple want to reschedule their releases & make sure they're not delayed for too long. It risks many iPhone users getting swayed by 8-9 months worth of praise for a major competitor, & losing them to Samsung as they only need to wait a short time before that model becomes available to them.

Thoughts?

2. bopajuice macrumors 65816

bopajuice

I don't think Apple moves that fast. You do realize Apple is a company that is still selling four year old technology (See Mac Mini, Mac Pro) as their latest offerings in that segment?

I feel it all comes down to brand loyalty. The loyal iPhone user will bash Samsung and find fault, and the doom and gloom crowd will claim Samsung is walking away with the title and Apple is finished. There does not seem to be any in between.

3. chabig macrumors 601

Your point makes no sense to me. Apple has no control over competitor's release schedules. Apple only releases one flagship per year. That leaves 364 other days for competitors to release something newer.

4. Falhófnir macrumors 68000

Falhófnir

Apple releases at the point they feel will maximise their sales, in the run up to the festive shopping season when everyone's inhibitions on spending are significantly dulled. What others do, for better or worse, usually doesn't impact on these decisions - at least not until the pressure becomes too great not to capitulate to (larger screens, quad and hexacore chips, 4k recording, wireless charging)

5. chabig macrumors 601

Apple is held to a double-standard versus the rest of the industry. For example, they always release new iPhones in the fall before Christmas. That's good. But they get lambasted for delaying HomePod beyond Christmas and missing the shopping season. At the same time, Samsung and others skip Christmas altogether and release products in January at CES and nobody gives a whit.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

The reverse of that could be said changing Samsung and Apple around in relation to when Apple introduces new devices later in the year (which is also closer to the holiday period).

7. BugeyeSTI macrumors 65816

BugeyeSTI

Samsung has always released their new phone in the beginning of the year.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

And to further your point, when Samsung for example, when they release their Galaxy Note in August, that's more in direct competition with the iPhone than the Galaxy S series would be in April, mainly because of the timeline.

And then you have Google that releases the Pixel usually around October.

Personally I think Apple has the best timeline of when they announce the iPhone and from the time it's actually released. It's right around the holiday Mark when sales will be the highest and consumers are spending the most money.

9. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

How is this different than every other year?

10. JohnApples, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018

JohnApples macrumors 65816

The Galaxy S line has always been released 3+ months before the newest iPhone since the S2. This is not a new "issue" for Apple.

You could argue that the Galaxy S line is a lot more popular today than it was years ago, but I don't think the iPhone will be suffering due to the gap. Most people are fairly well-cemented in one brand.

11. Stewie macrumors 6502

Stewie

Unless it blows up like the last note it won’t get the press or coverage like Apple does.

Take the note 8 for example. That hasn’t been out long yet (I can’t even find the date when searching) and not the same level of coverage.

Also what was your point?

12. Ralfi, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018

Ralfi thread starter macrumors 68000

Ralfi

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

What I meant was for Apple to not release their iPhone for much longer than 6 months after the Galaxy.

Ideally 6 months would be the maximum.

& I'm not saying either Apple are finished or Samsung are trash. I'm the in-between. :D
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2018 ---
    Mainly re: If Apple released their iPhones earlier, then they'd have a decent amount of time before they were toppled by Samsung's newer model.

Reducing the amount of time before being outdone, as Android's catching up quickly & will always tempt fringe Apple customers.

Just a thought anyway. No biggie...
    Yeah I've been trying to recall how it's been in the past.

All I've noticed is that iPhone release dates have been pushed out if anything. The X November release being the latest I can remember.

This year should be better though. Back to a September/October release hopefully.
    Yes but for more than half of those days (in the most recent round anyway), Apple can only claim to be top dog for 150 of those days. In this age of tech news spreading far & wide so fast, an extra 2-3 months of having the latest device reviewing very well may be the exposure a competitor needs to reel a few more customers over?

13. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

It's been the same for some time now. New Galaxy phone in the spring, new iPhone in the fall. For the most part, people who care about iPhones only wait for the iPhone launch and vice versa. You've apparently never noticed the pattern yourself, so do you think the average consumer pays it much mind?

14. NoBoMac macrumors 65816

This.

And or: whatever is the best deal they can get at the moment.

The only people that really care about subjective "best" are people reading tech sites or have frail egos/self-worth.

And as others have pointed out, Apple's phones vastly outsell any other premium model out there, no matter how tech writers, geeks think about iPhone being "best" or not.

15. Ralfi thread starter macrumors 68000

Ralfi

Be that as it may, the X release date & future iPhone release dates were the main thing that triggered this discussion.

Also, this was an attempt to see things from a business perspective, not consumer, which I did point out.

16. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

But the business perspective is to take advantage and influence the consumer perspective. If the people most likely to buy an iPhone don't really notice or care when the latest Galaxy phone comes out, then it probably doesn't affect Apple's business very much. Several prominent flagship phones always come out between iPhone models. I'm just not seeing why that matters this year more than any other.

17. Phone Junky macrumors 6502a

Not surprising.

18. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Huh? And I thought Samsung was 6 months behind Apple. I suppose it all depends on your point of view. Don't think Apple cares about Samsung's schedule...

19. Ralfi thread starter macrumors 68000

Ralfi

Only 5 months this time. :D

But then Apple will be 7-8 months behind, before the XI becomes available.

20. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

It’s been the same release schedule for quite some time now. New galaxy in spring, new iPhone in fall.

21. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I got what you are saying. Apple release a smaller iPhone 5.8 inch in late spring then a bigger 6.5 or whatever in the middle of the fall would make sense but I doubt they would do that.

22. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

I’m not sure it matters much from a business perspective. The number of people who care about having the latest and greatest enough to jump between Android and iOS is probably not so significant. The vast majority of Apple’s iPhone customers pay zero attention to the release cycles of Samsung, Google, etc. My family is a good example. Between cousins and grandparents we probably have more than a dozen iPhone users and four Android users. Out of the dozen iPhone users I can assure you that I am the only one who pays attention to the mobile market. Most of them couldn’t even tell you the brand and model of a single Android phone. Many of them don’t pay attention to the latest iPhone hype either. When they feel ready to upgrade, they just trade up to one of the latest iPhone models.

23. macTW Suspended

I believe Samsung changes their release date to revolve around Apple's.

Aka, Apple rules the release media, and will sell their fair share of phones regardless of timing. Other companies have to play games with the calendar.

24. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

The only other real recent staggered iPhone launch was with the iPhone SE in March 2016. But that was more of a spring Keynote

25. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

this is the world of tech...anything becomes not new after a while and the iphone x will still be the latest and greatest in apple's world until the next 2018 iphone. Thats all that matters for those who buy only iphones