iPhone X Latest & greatest...for only 4 or 5 months?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ralfi, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Apple Fritter macrumors member

Apple Fritter

Not following. When I'm firmly entreched in eco system A with their latest and greatest it'll stay that way until A comes out with a new model. I fail to see how the dealings of eco system B alter that fact.

When I own the latest Mercedes it'll still be the newest Mercedes even if BMW gives their model a refresh.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

My thought is that Android is not an option for me.

3. Black Tiger macrumors 6502

Apple doesn’t give two flying ****s what Samsung does, honestly. Why would they?

4. Ralfi, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

Ralfi thread starter macrumors 65816

Ralfi

Yeah, you're not the ones sitting on the fence I was referring to. N/A.

Yeah, they're not the ones I meant. N/A.

5. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I can almost be for sure Apple cares what Samsung does and they should. Having competition is a good thing for consumers.

6. Ralfi thread starter macrumors 65816

Ralfi

Samsung has made Apple what it is today & vice versa.

If Apple didn't care what Samsung did, do you think we'd see the evolution of iPhone we have today? Of course not. Apple would've trickled updates to the iPhone at snails pace if they were the only ones in the game. It's their competitors who've forced Apples hand many times with keeping innovation on par with them....& vice versa.

Both of these companies are keeping a very close eye on each other. They're keeping each other on their toes.

7. martint235 macrumors regular

martint235

I think both companies have it right (you can continue to argue about which came first if you like). If you're the two biggest players in a market, ideally you want your flagship launches as far apart as possible (there is a difference in the gaming console market as these are frequently given as gifts so you need to be out and ready in time for Xmas) otherwise you risk your media being drowned out by the opposition.

The losers in this scenario are the HTCs, Sony's etc who are struggling to get noticed in the noise generated by Apple and Samsung

8. YaBe macrumors regular

YaBe

There's no business without consumers....they are tied in.

Your (insert any item / device) is old and superseded the moment it is in your hands.

9. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

This.

What’s a Galaxy?

10. Bigg Macc macrumors newbie

Bigg Macc

It was never the greatest. Just the most overpriced.

11. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

I don't think Apple or anyone who prefers iOS cares what or when Samsung releases.

12. KUKitch macrumors 6502

KUKitch

I would add that I don't think you can really say that just b/c a phone comes out earlier or later, it is/isn't top dog once the newer competitor comes out - newer doesn't *necessarily* mean better, even for successor phones for some folks, but especially so between competitors... I myself don't really think the X will be unseated by the S9, but that's just my view on it

13. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Thoughts are no matter what you do Apple will NEVER have the sort of control you want them to over the market, the real truth is as soon as a products launched its been poor of date for several weeks and superseded by a competitor or that same manufacture anyway.

This is the world if the technology market and it NEVER stops and is always moving forward..

People generally don’t care about release schedules, only only adopters or fans and that makes up a tiny proportion of customers, Jo Blogs just wants to buy the latest that’s currently on offer in the store at the time of purchase which is what they do.

14. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

It certainly is a good thing, but for most of Apple's customers it affects them more indirectly than the smaller market of people who will switch platforms every year or two based on who's on top at that time. Most of Apple's customers don't care about Samsung as long the general perception is that iPhone and Android are reasonably close in terms of features and value (although not all customers are concerned as much about value). If Apple didn't try to compete with the likes of Samsung and Google, then those brands would start to build a lead. Once Samsung phones started to get press for being undeniably faster, more feature rich, and perhaps better value... some of the entrenched Apple users might start to rethink their next smartphone... but probably only if the iphone no longer fits their needs or if they want some new killer feature Samsung offers that Apple does not.

Yes, I am really glad we have a competitive smartphone and smartwatch market. Without them putting pressure on Apple we could be years behind where we are today.

15. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

I used to be excited but new android phones and I would watch all the reviews. And then I went over and tried one again after being a bit underwhelmed by the iPhone 6, although I’d had it for a year by then, and nope. Not interested anymore. So what if some android maker releases a new phone and journalists call it the best? I couldn’t care less. Android has zero appeal to me in a phone.

16. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Apple would not want to move the iphone away from the most lucrative period of the year. I’m sure the X/8 will still outsell the S9 as it does every year.

17. Ralfi, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

Ralfi thread starter macrumors 65816

Ralfi

I think you get it, although it's not about who comes out first.

Just to have 6 months of the year with your device & its accessories under the eyes of reviewers. Allow maximum time for word of mouth to spread before your competition releases theirs & entices your less 'attached' customers to jump ship.

Let's say for the next few cycles, the iPhone's delayed until November & Samsung release their next model in March, like clockwork, for the next 5 years say.....those who aren't dedicated to a brand will start thinking 'why get an iPhone when it'll be superceded for 8 months of the year (March-Oct). I'll just wait 4 months & get the Galaxy'.

Social media will have your competitor in the spot light for 2/3rds of the year. That's an opportunity for Samsung to fast-track gaining ground on Apple.

Just a theory (perhaps flawed yes), & a topic of discussion. :D
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2018 ---
    Yeah. They also wouldn't want to delay it like they did with the X.

October at the latest is what I'm saying.

Note: Altered thread title to emphasise my discussion point.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

We do know that Samsung pays close attention to Apple based off their advertising as of late if you have seen any of the recent commercials. That said, both manufacturers likely are well aware of what features differ from each other in terms of smart phones. But it's also important to remember that Apple has relations with Samsung as a component supplier, as they do work with each other.

19. Deeds500 macrumors 6502

I don't think it matters when they release the iphone, because:

1) You're never going to own the latest and greatest for too long anyway, whether it's March, June or September, eventually that time will come and your latest and greatest will be superceded.

2) What's the greatest when comparing competing devices comes down to opinion. In my opinion the Samsung Note 8 was the best phone of 2017 so that device is the latest and greatest. And I have a feeling the Note 9 will be the best phone of 2018. If Apple wants to release the latest and greatest, it should start releasing greater iphones and everything else will sort itself out, and no one will care when the Samsung devices are released.

3) Apple does not want to upset all those that bought it's latest and greatest in November 2017 and thereafrer by releasing the 2018 latest and greatest just 4 months later. Those that bought the X would feel hard done by.

20. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

Samsung will never be "the latest and greatest". They also moved up their S9 release because of the success of the X, although it's going to be the same as the S8.

21. jlp2979 macrumors 6502a

There are plenty of iPhone users who closely follow Samsung and Android, myself included. S8 still blows in my opinion compared to iOS experience and I expect the S9 to be the same experience as the S8. Loved the S8 for a month and then tried a Pixel 2, and clearly noticed that it runs slower and choppier than the Pixel line and iOS. Heck, out of the box it doesn't even run at the highest resolution! I'd be a full time Pixel 2 (non-XL) user today had it not been for the terrible black crush that isn't even fixable by software mods. So I'm back with iOS and using the X for the next year. You bet I am paying close attention to the S9 and especially the Pixel 3.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

No Matter what Samsung does, does it really persuade an iPhone owner/user to migrate to Samsung because of a new device? Likely not. Most Who have been with a platform for so long, they don't change. They stay with iOS or android because that's all they're used to and that's all they want to know. Samsung manufactures some really nice hardware in their smart phones, but android alone will always be a reason why I would never migrate away from iOS.

23. actcyclist macrumors regular

actcyclist

Samsung will do very well with the next Galaxy if it fixes the problems that the iPhone X has.
    Lower the price
    Get rid of the notch
    Put Touch ID in the screen, like the Vivo phone that's already doing it.
    Keep the headphone jack.
    but

Lose Bixby. No-one wants that sh**

24. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

Yup, you’re absolutely correct. I’ve never had any real motivation or reason to switch. I agree, the hardware is very nice, but as long as it runs android, I won’t be buying.

25. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I’ve had some of the android phones but never with the intention of switching. I always keep my current iPhone and carry on using it as my daily driver. After a week or so the android phone gets put in the draw and then after a month or two I’ve already sold the android phone. However I can’t really be bothered with even doing that anymore as it takes time to wait in for said android phone to be delivered, time to set it up and time to sell it on. So I don’t think I’ll bother getting another one even to play around with for a few weeks.