Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the second beta of iOS 16.1, introducing further tweaks to the battery percentage indicator that is located in the status bar.

ios-16-1-beta-2-battery.jpg

With today's beta, the battery level of the icon depletes as the battery depletes, providing a better visual indication of what battery level is at alongside the percentage.

If the percentage feature is enabled, you will now see the charge number as well as battery indicator that fills or depletes based on your current charge level. Prior to the latest beta, the battery indicator in the status bar showed percent, but the battery level was static, making it sometimes difficult to determine the iPhone's charge at a glance.

Battery percent was not present on iPhones that have ‌‌Face ID‌‌ in iOS 15 because of the lack of space on either side of the notch that houses the TrueDepth camera hardware, but Apple's updated ‌iOS 16‌ design added the specific battery level to the battery icon, with iOS 16.1 adding further tweaks. The iOS 16.1 beta also brings the battery percentage to the iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone XR, and iPhone 11, devices that do not support it in iOS 16.

Apple with the second beta has additionally tweaked the charging indicator on the Lock Screen. When plugging an iPhone into a Lightning cable or Qi-based wireless charger, it will now show the battery percent briefly above the time. iPhone 14 Pro models have a battery status indicator in the Dynamic Island as well.

There will be several more rounds of beta testing before iOS 16.1 sees a public release, but there is a public beta available for non-developers to test. The next public beta should be coming soon with the updated battery status bar icon.

Article Link: Latest iOS 16.1 Beta Tweaks Battery Status Bar to Show Visual Charge Level

Last edited:

oofio2461

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
 Full Moon
Why wasn't this on iOS 16.0, and why add support for the battery icon later for older iPhones in .1? Was Apple really not happy with how it turned out?

hunter_a

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2019
From purely visual standpoint, I actually kinda like the way it looks now but I can see how it can bug some people. Probably won’t be able to resist updating though as 16.1 will also feature the annoying paste pop-up fix.

Reactions: Darkwalker

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
HALLELUYERR!

I may even use it now. It should have been this way from the beginning, and I wonder if all the helpful designs we presented in the forums helped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.